Cut the leaves of tomatoes is extremely important when cultivating the culture. Consider how to carry out the procedure correctly.
Tomato leaf pruning
The importance of pruning
Tomato leaves - one of the most important organs of the plant. They are responsible for processes such as:
- nutrient absorption;
- temperature control;
- obstacle loss of moisture.
Pruning leaves of tomatoes improves air circulation on the bush. The procedure helps the plant to redirect forces from growing greens to the formation of fruits and prevents the development of putrefactive diseases.
When removing excess green mass, the fruits become larger, their maturation time is reduced.
When to prune
Pruning leaves of tomatoes is carried out, taking into account a number of recommendations.
- The first pruning is carried out during the dive seedlings. The lower plates are cut off so that 1/3 of the whole mass remains. This is done to strengthen the root system.
- Pruning is done if the seedlings are too elongated. In this case, properly cut the bottom of the green, and the seedlings put on the ground and bury.
- First of all, the old leaves of tomatoes are cut off: they turn yellow and often become covered with spots, which contributes to the development of fungal diseases. Especially stains are dangerous for tomatoes growing in the greenhouse.
- Greens growing in the darkened part of the bush, takes little part in photosynthesis, so it is also removed.
- Produce removal of greenery growing below the first fruiting brush. This procedure has a positive effect on the development and quality of the fetus.
- Cut the greens over grown fruits. The fruits of tomatoes themselves are involved in the process of photosynthesis, so they do not need additional shadow.
- Remove one half of the plate, if this part is in the shade and is not involved in photosynthesis.
- It is advised to remove new shoots, as they take power from the plant and contribute to the abnormal development of the fruit.
How to prune
Follow the recommendations
- Cutting produce disinfected scissors or shears. Also, the leaves break off, pressing the base up, gently, so as not to damage the stem.
- The frequency of the procedure depends on the speed of development of the seedling. Yellowed lower leaves clean about once every 15 days. Pruning of the bulk begin after the formation of small fruits. Slow leaves are removed as it appears. In greenhouse growing conditions pruning begin earlier.
- In the open field pruning in the morning. So, for the day, the wound has time to dry out and tighten, which does not allow gray rot to develop. In the evening or on a rainy day, pruned tomatoes are not produced.
- Pruning leaves in tomatoes in the greenhouse produce at any time. The only condition is to cancel the airing on this day.
- At a time, remove no more than 3 sheets.
- After harvesting, the first brushes are pruned to the second, and then to the third of the fruit ovary. Above the third brush pruning is better not to produce, since, left without greenery, the sapling will die.
- At the very end cut the top of the bush. Choose one ovary, leave a little green on it, everything else is removed: so the tomato spends more strength on nutrition and the growth of fruits.
Forming a bush
The formation of the bush depends on the type of tomato:
- is determinant;
- super determinant.
1-3 stalks are formed on a tall variety, the stepchild is left under the first floral brush. To remove it properly, press the base against the stem and pull it upwards so as not to damage the stem. Remove the lower leaves until the height from the soil to the foliage is about 30 cm. Cutting off will prevent the diseases of fungi, provide access of light and air to the plant stem.
As soon as about 8 brushes were formed on the plant, they cut off the top.
The determinant variety is distinguished by the formation of a fruiting brush after a 5-7-leaf plate. Forming 4-5 brushes, these varieties stop growth. To extend the fruiting period, transfer the growing point to a side shoot.
Ideminal variety of tomatoes forms only one shoot. The first fruiting brush forms after a 10-11 leaf blade. To increase the yield, remove side shoots. Removal of stepsons is done after the formation of one flower brush on them. This procedure is performed once a week.
Superdeterminant variety differs in ripeness and small growth, not more than 60 cm. The first flower brush is formed after 6-7 leaves. After the formation of 4 inflorescences, growth of shoots is limited. There are three ways to form a super determinant variety:
- remove all side shoots and form one stem;
- leave the stepson from the first inflorescence and get 2 stalks;
- form 3 stalks, if you leave the stepchildren of the first and second inflorescences.
When and how to cut the leaves of a tomato Cut the leaves of a tomato. Is it necessary to remove the leaves of a tomato. Cut the leaves of a tomato. It is necessary or not necessary. Why am I pruning IT DOES NOT REMOVE LEAVES IN TOMATOES? HOW TO DO IT CORRECTLY! How to cut the leaves of tomatoes correctly? DOES IT TURN LEAVES ON TOMATOES
Tomato leaf pruning is an important procedure for ensuring a good harvest. It improves the access of light to all fruits, shortens the time of ripening. Also, circumcision is important as a disease prevention, especially in the greenhouse.