The entrance hall is the beginning of our house, behind the walls of which we hide from the hustle and bustle of the surrounding world. It is here that a feeling of security and calmness begins to appear. No wonder they say: "My home - my castle!". Often there is no natural lighting, so you have to pick up the ceiling and wall lights for the hallway and the corridor, which will bring with you coziness and comfort almost from the doorstep.
Functions of wall lights
Unlike chandeliers, wall lights have been used by people since cave times. The first prototypes of such modern constructions were burning sticks inserted into the crevices between the stones. Medieval castles lit burning torches on the walls of the halls. The exquisite houses of aristocrats of the 18th century already decorated luxurious candlesticks fixed on the walls. With the advent of electricity, a new era of such lamps began.
Wall lamps are versatile and fit well into any room. Today they perform various functions:
- In a small corridor from the hallway such a lamp will become the center of general lighting;
- In other rooms, wall models will complement the main light source;
- Lamps can separate different key areas of the room with their lighting, for example, a part of the hallway at the door and a dressing area;
- Correction of the space is possible - wall lights will help to visually increase, decrease the height of the ceilings, push the boundaries of the room;
- Wall lamps can be a decoration of the room, especially designer and lush classic sconces;
- It may be necessary to highlight a particular piece of furniture, for example, a key holder or a shelf with cosmetics.
Modern wall or ceiling lights for the hallway can be equipped with a dimmer that allows you to adjust the desired brightness of the light. But this technology is only in incandescent bulbs. Often used lamps with built-in motion sensors, which turn on when a person appears in the corridor.
How to choose the right wall light
Beautiful stylish chandelier, matched to the interior hallway, will be one of the main decorations and an important component of the design. Will add his wall lamps. They will help to create local light zones in different parts of the corridor and hallway.
When choosing lamps it is worth considering some nuances:
- The intensity of the hallway lighting should not differ much from the brightness and power of lamps in other rooms;
- Dim lamps will create a not very comfortable feeling here, such lighting will prevent good viewing of surrounding objects and your appearance in the mirror;
- Powerful bulbs will also not work if you don’t want to waste electricity. It is better to purchase energy-saving models with good brightness and spending a minimum of energy.
Will look good wall lamps with frosted shades. They will not allow the light flux to adversely affect vision, and also create a soft diffused lighting.
For different interior styles, select their wall lamps:
- For the hallway, decorated in a classic style, more suitable sconces of crystal, bronze, onyx, gold-plated metal;
- Minimalism allows simple concise forms of lampshades without any decorations;
- In the corridor of the Art Nouveau style, lamps of clear geometric forms with smooth, rounded lines will fit well;
- For techno and hi-tech, modern functional spots made of chromed metal are more suitable.
Important! Wall lights can be mounted on a large mirror in the hallway. This will increase the illumination of the room and visually expand the space.
Types of wall lights
Such lamps are used to highlight certain areas, lighting items of furniture. They can play a decorative role, decorating the hallway with original design.
By design, the lamps are divided into three large groups.
Such lamps tightly pressed to the wall with their edges. Ceiling lamps have a modest neat appearance, are easy to operate and easy to clean. Their shape can be very different: round, oval, rectangular, elongated. Perfectly fit such lamps in the narrow hallway, which passes into the corridor. Among the modern options are the following types of lampshades:
- Classic models in the form of plates of white, milky color with a matte base;
- Lamps with a floral theme, stylized as leaves, flowers, buds;
- Original ceiling suitable for high-tech, modern style, having different shapes, painted in different colors.
Wall sconces are mounted on the walls with a small bracket. These lamps, depending on the lampshade can create diffused or spot lighting. They are appropriate in rooms with any height of the walls. Sconce can perform the following tasks:
- General lighting. In small corridors, where there is no chandelier, sconces play the role of general lighting. To do this, they are mounted around the perimeter of the hallway. It creates a uniform and soft light.
- Local lighting. Wall sconces are hung in certain areas to illuminate furniture or decorative items. Often use steam rooms, for example, near the mirror.
Sconces can be performed in various designs and be a wonderful decoration of any interior. Traditional classic models are made of crystal glass, modern ones made of plastic, metal, fabric. Produced whole lines for lighting: chandeliers, floor lamps, wall lamps, made in the same style with the same decoration elements. For example, for a large hallway and a corridor you can purchase ceiling and wall lights in a single version.
So called small lighting for walls, ceiling, consisting of legs and ceiling. The convenience of spots is the ability to direct the light flux in any direction. These lamps are economical and can last for many years. They do not belong to any design style, they can fit into both modern and classic interior.
Different spot options are popular: for one or several rounds. They can have a common platform or be mounted individually.
Wall lamp placement
There are several recommendations for the placement of wall lamps:
- Do not make excessive lighting for the hallway. Many lamps look, perhaps, spectacularly, but why are they in a room that is used to move family members? For a small corridor there are quite a few spotlights on the ceiling, as well as wall lamps in the hallway area.
- Wall lights look better as a couple or group. This creates a feeling of completeness of the interior. For a large hallway, fitting lamps along one wall is ideal. They highlight the key areas of such a room. Two on the sides of the mirror - a classic placement of sconces.
- For one room it is common to use wall lamps of the same design. They are placed at a distance from other light sources: chandeliers, spotlights.
Wall lamps hang at a standard height - two meters from the floor. Then the light is concentrated slightly above the average person's height. For additional visual effects, lamps can be positioned near the ceiling or at the level of baseboards. It all depends on the goals pursued by this installation of lamps: visually increase or decrease the height of the ceiling, push the boundaries of the room or just create a romantic atmosphere.
Wall lamps allow you to create local, local lighting. The created stream of light from each such model falls on a certain zone of a hall. Directional rays and the play of light help to highlight some significant details of the decor, for example, stucco, paintings, different parts of furniture.
Note! Installing fixtures requires perfect wall decoration, because bright local lighting can mercilessly highlight all the flaws and shortcomings.
An important part of a wall or ceiling lamp in the hallway is the diffuser or the structure that covers the light bulb. It helps to hide the light flux and makes it comfortable for the eyes. Diffuser can be fully or partially closed. In the latter case, part of the luminous flux will be directed in the right direction, for example, upwards, to highlight the ceiling and thereby increase the height of the room visually.
Wall lights are an additional hallway lighting, so they are often used to give the room an original and decorative look.
Some classic sconces are made without a diffuser. They use candles in the form of candles, and crystal pendants are used for extra shine. Such lamps are chosen for the interior of the hallway of classic styles, where the presence of a magnificent decorative finish is required.
The diffuser can be made of opaque materials, if you want to create a well-directed beam of light. But many of the wall lamps have a translucent base. What materials are used in the manufacture of lamps? It can be:
- Glass. This environmentally friendly material adds to the interior a feeling of freshness and lightness.
- The cloth. Special samples with refractory impregnation are used. Creates a romantic setting.
- Tree. The material is popular in the interiors of modern style. Such lamps not only give warmth, but also bring positive wood energy to the hall.
- Paper. Lamp shades are made of paper impregnated with fire-resistant and dirt-repellent compounds, which gives such models durability as well as safety.
- Metal. The wear-resistant material of such lamps will add to the interior refinement and lightness. Especially prized forged handmade lamps.
- Plastic. Plastic lights are relatively inexpensive, but come in a wide variety of forms due to the material properties.
Each of the listed materials has its advantages and disadvantages. For example, with an improperly selected light bulb, plastic will overheat, glass attracts dust, and it is difficult to care for a tree. All this must be considered when choosing wall lamps for the hallway.
Know! A colored transparent or translucent diffuser creates a certain environment in the room. Greenish shades bring a sense of peace, red can act annoyingly. The most neutral, frequently used colors of lamp shades are white and milky.
Wall lights in the hallway and hallway perform many functions. But the main one is the introduction of coziness and comfort into the interior, which is impossible without proper general and local lighting.