Wood-burning stoves for a bath: types and features
- Types and characteristics
- Permanent burning furnaces
- Single download models
Today, the range of sauna stoves is wider than ever. However, the demand for wood aggregates remains unchanged. They have many positive qualities for which many consumers choose them.
This article will discuss in detail the types of wood-fired sauna stoves and their distinctive features.
Wood burning stoves have always been popular in our country. Their relevance is due to multitasking. The wood-burning stove not only perfectly warms the room, but also forms the most comfortable microclimate in it.
Currently, high-quality wood-burning stoves are made not only by domestic, but also by foreign companies. They are made from different materials. There are also original wood stoves for a bath, having non-standard and interesting forms. By placing such a unit, you can update the look of the bath and give it a highlight.
The peculiarity of a wood-burning stove is that it must be very carefully installed, avoiding any errors. Otherwise, the unit simply will not warm up to the required level. In addition, it may happen that the oven does not fit into the layout of the building. To avoid such bleating, you need to correctly select the units and just as competently install them.
Another distinctive feature of wood stoves is that with proper installation, they quickly and efficiently heat the steam room. In addition, the maintenance of such devices is very inexpensive and does not cause much trouble.
Wood-burning stoves can be based on continuous or intermittent heating. The first option is recommended to be installed in the bath only if the walls in it are not very thick, and specimens with periodic heating are calculated for a considerable amount of stone backfill.
It should be noted that today wood stoves come in a wide variety of modifications. They have different bases and differ in the principle of action. Choose the best option is the possibility of any buyer.
Wood burning stoves, like other units, have their advantages and disadvantages. And about those, and about others it is necessary to know if you decide to purchase a similar furnace in the bath.
First, consider the advantages of these devices:
- As a rule, such furnaces are of small size, so they can be selected even for a very modest bath, designed for a small number of people.
- Modern manufacturers offer furnaces that not only cope with the main task, but also effectively complement the atmosphere in the bath, completing it.
- As mentioned above, a high-quality wood-burning stove is able to warm up the room fairly quickly, which is especially important for a sauna unit.
- Kindle wood stove at any time convenient for you.
- It should be noted a large selection of wood stoves.
- Wood-burning stoves are environmentally friendly because they operate on a safe type of fuel.
- Of course, gas or electric ovens are much less whimsical than wood-burning ones, but many homeowners choose just natural-fuel units for their saunas. This will be explained by the fact that wood burning stoves do not depend on electricity or gas pipeline, which may be absent in a particular area.
- Wood stoves operate on low-cost and common fuels.
- Most modern wood stoves have an affordable price, so almost every consumer can afford them.
Despite the efficiency and environmental friendliness of wood-burning stoves, they also have some drawbacks that dissuade many buyers from buying them.
Consider them in more detail:
- First of all, it should be noted that the work of such a stove will have to be constantly maintained - to throw firewood. Otherwise, after their complete burnout, the bath will simply begin to cool gradually.
- Many masters say that these types of furnaces are quite complex in matters of installation. At the slightest mistake, the design will not work correctly, which can lead to negative consequences.
- The wood-burning stove must be supplemented with an exhaust chimney, since there is a lot of smoke when burning wood.
- Even the most expensive and beautiful wood burning stoves are fire hazardous.
- The inconvenience in the use of such furnaces is that before starting them it is necessary to prepare firewood in advance and also to store them properly. All this often takes a lot of time.
- The wood stove chimney will have to be periodically cleaned.
- Wood-burning stoves are quite capricious, especially if you compare them with units that work on gas and electricity. Firewood models should be installed on special screens, and the surrounding space should be carefully protected from overheating. You also have to make sure that in the process of heating the device door always remain open.
As you can see, the advantages of wood stoves more than minuses.
Many problems with such devices can be avoided if properly installed and properly operated. Of course, you should take care of the fire safety of the unit.
Types and characteristics
Currently, there are several options for wood-burning stoves with different operating principles.
Permanent burning furnaces
Such wood-burning stoves are very popular, as they provide fuel supply. Combustion takes place in the firebox of the unit, equipped with a door for lining firewood. At the same time on the other hand is the chimney. Under the furnace is ash.
By opening or closing the ash pan in such a furnace, you can adjust the draft in the furnace. Due to these actions, the intensity of burning will change. For the same reason, the lower half of such an aggregate acquired the name “blow.”
The furnace in such a stove is separated from the ash box by grates. Ash and ash pass between these parts.
Constant burning wood stoves are great for heating baths, so many buyers today prefer them. In addition, these units produce many well-known brands, so the choice of these furnaces can be called very diverse.
Single download models
Known in our country are single-loading stoves (for kindling a sauna “in black”). Such designs provide for loading firewood into the firebox, after which they need to be covered with a lid and put stones on top. At the same time below there should be openings for air intake.
Experienced banshchiki can decompose the wood so that the smoke from their combustion is not formed, and the fuel burns to the end. However, such models of furnaces were popular before, and today it is almost impossible to meet them.
With external firebox
Today, many manufacturers offer wood stoves with a portable firebox. In such models, there is an elongated firebox, in which one of the sides is equipped with a door for firewood, and the other is in a housing with stones.
A stove with such a design makes it possible to open access for throwing firewood in the conditions of a waiting room, and to place heated stones in the steam room.
A long fire chamber in such a furnace overcomes the partition between rooms. As a rule, the wall section in contact with the stove is made of stones or special fire-resistant bricks.
In the process of heating, they heat the room.
With a furnace without carrying
A stove with a firebox without any overhang is a solid construction with stones, between which there is an ashpit and a firebox. Similar units are installed directly in the steam room. The flames in the inner part of the body quickly heats the stones to high temperatures. And already heated stones, in turn, accumulate and transfer heat.
Since oxygen is needed to support combustion, these types of wood-burning stoves are recommended to be equipped with an additional air intake. It should be taken to another room in the bath.
High temperatures in steam rooms can lead to significant stress on the human cardiovascular system, therefore lack of oxygen can adversely affect health and overall health.
With open stove
Classic wood stoves are considered in which stones are stacked on top of the structure. They need to splash water or an aromatic liquid, which in this case will fizz and evaporate. Thus, a special relaxing atmosphere is created in the steam room, in which it is very comfortable and cozy.
If the owners use the bath not too often, then the stones can become dusty. They need to be washed daily - each separately.
With closed stove
In wood stoves of a similar design, the stones are located in the inner part of the body and are closed with a small lid. The top of the unit is equipped with a special heat-resistant tank for flavoring. The liquid overcomes the capillary system and falls directly on the hot stones.
Today, these stoves are very popular and are quite common. Their demand is due to ease of maintenance. Besides, model with closed stove allows to heat water, since at its top it is possible to arrange a container filled with liquid.
One of the most popular today are wood stoves with a water tank.
Such models have the following significant advantages:
- retain heat for a long time;
- warm up the room evenly;
- differ in optimum indicators of humidity and temperature;
- easy to use.
Wood stoves can have different types of water tanks. So, models with remote tanks are considered the most convenient to use. Often, the tank is installed in the shower bath. In addition, these units can have a variety of dimensions.
It is worth considering that models with a portable water tank can not function if they are not equipped with a heat exchanger. This element is connected to the main tank using brass and copper pipes.
The built-in water tanks are located in the inner part of the furnace itself. Such instances are in considerable demand, as in such units the chimney can warm up to 500 degrees, and the pipe at the same time passes inside the stove (water is poured into the tank from above). The main disadvantage of these devices is that the water in them very often and quickly begins to boil, because of which there is a lot of steam. In such cases it is necessary to add additional water.
Also today, wood-burning stoves with a mounted water tank are common. A sealed container of such a constituent element is usually equipped with a removable or hinged lid. In this case, the tank itself is installed on the side wall of the stove. For fasteners in these models are used hooks. Also in many catalogs you can meet the modern models of furnaces with a mounted tank and heated from the chimney.
With steam generator
Wood stoves with steam generators are different from other models in that they can be used in two modes:
Such units are recommended for people suffering from hypertension or cardiovascular diseases.
As for the operation of the steam generator in the oven, it is based on the following principles:
- First, water is poured (manually or automatically).
- Then the water from the tank enters the vaporization chamber.
- Further, the walls of the steam generator, heated to 650 degrees, contribute to the process of evaporation of water.
- Emerging steam enters the steam room through the openings of the unit's convector casing.
Gas-wood ovens are units designed for heating small areas of the area, such as baths. Often, these devices are complemented by elements such as a removable gas burner in a system with filters.
The main advantages of a gas stove for a bath are:
- very economical fuel consumption;
- rapid warming of both the premises and the water;
- simplicity and ease of use;
- compact size and low-key, but attractive appearance;
- environmental friendliness and safety;
- affordable price.
Such types of furnaces are not recommended to be installed by hand, as they relate to more complex equipment. It is better to entrust this work to professionals.
Fans of non-standard solutions should pay attention to the beautiful stoves, fireplaces. These combined models are considered practical, economical and functional. These units are installed in such a way that the stove is located in the steam room, and the fireplace is in the waiting room.
There are the following types of stoves, combined with a fireplace:
- models with a stove and a closed or open fireplace;
- cold and hot stoves;
- Direct heating and long burning furnaces.
Wood stoves for a bath are made from various materials. Let us consider in detail what features, pluses and minuses most popular models have.
Mighty cast-iron and steel furnaces are rightfully recognized as one of the most reliable and durable.
They have the following advantages:
- the ability to retain heat for a long time (cast iron has a good thermal conductivity);
- simplicity in both use and installation;
- structural mobility;
- aesthetic appearance;
- fire safety and practicality.
However, it should be borne in mind that cast iron furnaces often have an impressive weight, so if the unit is large, it will not be easy to move and install it. In addition, the floor under the heavy stove must be in proper condition.
In addition to weight, metal stoves have other disadvantages:
- the room that is heated by them cools down rather quickly, if the stove does not provide additional underflooding;
- during operation, the body of such furnaces quickly becomes hot, therefore such an object can be severely burned;
- too hot an enclosure will require effective fire prevention measures;
- Note that cast iron does not tolerate temperature fluctuations, otherwise the material may simply burst.
Metal types of units are sold without external cladding. However, in many stores you can find products that were lined at the manufacturing stage. Similar specimens are covered in a powder coat or serpentine.. This stone facing makes softer aggressive infrared radiation from the furnace, and also contributes to a more uniform heating of the steam room.
Metal furnaces equipped with various options have recently become especially popular. For example, it can be an effective system of self-cleaning or self-cooling of glass doors. Of course, such additions cannot be called necessary, but many consumers choose them, despite the high price.
Brick wood-burning stoves are more difficult when compared to metal. The average weight of these models is about 1200 kg. It should be borne in mind that such a stove is permissible to be placed in the bath, but not in the sauna.
The relevance of such furnaces is due to the many advantages that are inherent to them:
- Qualitatively assembled brick stove allows to achieve the optimum level of humidity and temperature in the bath.
- Similar constructions accumulate heat longer than others.
- You can put more stones in a brick oven than in a metal model.
- The brick construction releases softer steam, which contributes to the formation of a relaxed and comfortable environment.
- If a quality brick was used in the construction of the furnace, the design will last for many years and will not cause any trouble.
- Using a brick unit is quite simple.
Of course, the wood burning brick stoves have their drawbacks:
- It takes a long time to kindle such a furnace - from 3 to 5 hours (depending on the temperature around the device).
- The model of brick is not suitable for placement in a small bath, because most often it takes a lot of free space.
- It will not be possible to use a similar model in the camp bath, since it is not mobile.
- It’s very difficult to build such a model of a wood-burning stove with your own hands. Usually people turn to experienced craftsmen in order not to spoil the purchased material.
If you decide to put a brick oven in the bath, then you should be prepared for big expenses. For such an aggregate, you need to make a separate foundation according to all the rules. In addition, be sure to come in handy special tools for cutting and laying bricks, which are often expensive.
For the arrangement of such stoves it is recommended to use such material as chamotte brick. It is fireproof. It produces reliable and durable ashpit and firebox. This material is able to withstand temperatures up to 1500 degrees, as it contains special refractory clay.
As mentioned earlier, wood stoves can have a variety of dimensions - from mini to maxi. Today in stores and catalogs you can find wood stoves with the following dimensional parameters.
- 415x800 mm, depth - 595 (600) mm;
- 420x800 mm and depth - 730 mm;
- 450х1300 mm, depth - 450 mm;
- 500x1800 mm, depth - 500 (450) mm;
- 500x960 mm, depth - 600 mm;
- 630x1014 mm, depth - 630 mm;
- 650x1024 mm, depth - 886 mm.
This data is not standard. The size of the furnace depends on the manufacturer that produces it, so you can easily find a model with other dimensions.
As for the size of brick stoves, here you need to take into account the standard size of red brick, from which the furnaces are most often made. Bricks parameters are 250 mm in length, 120 mm in width and 65 mm in height. Based on these data, it is possible to calculate the length and width of the wood-burning stove. If you have the order of the unit, then you will need to pay attention to the starting row, which will show the number of bricks on each side.
To find out the height of the brick kiln, it is necessary to count the number of rows in the masonry, multiply them by the width of the fireclay brick and be sure to add 0.5 cm to all the seams.
Style and design
Properly selected wood stove can transform the bath, making it more harmonious and cozy.
There are the following design options:
- If the bath is designed in the classical style, then it is worthwhile to place an elegant brick oven combined with a fireplace in it. At the same time, the compartment with stones emitting steam will be located behind the wall in the steam room, and not in the waiting room. In tandem with such a device, discreet pieces of furniture, as well as decorations made of natural wood and stone, will look spectacular.
- Not bad brick ovens look also in antique-styled baths or rustic-style ensembles.
- No less attractive and harmonious in the conditions of the bath looks like a metal or cast iron stove. This model will easily fit into almost any ensemble. Such a product can be effectively distinguished by decorating the wall behind the stove itself with stone or brickwork.
- If you like non-standard solutions, then you should pay attention to the amazing options for forging. Such stoves are able to decorate a bath, giving it the features of an aristocratic or gothic style.
Famous manufacturers and owners reviews
Currently, the range of wood stoves for baths allows you to choose the right model for every taste and color. Before buying it is recommended to learn more about the most popular and sought-after manufacturers who produce high-quality and attractive products.
The history of the famous company "Yermak" dates back to 1997. Today, the products of this manufacturer is wildly popular and is found in many retail outlets.
The main product range of the company "Ermak" is made in Kirov. Strong and reliable wood stoves of this brand undergo strict quality control, which eliminates the ingress of marriage on the market. Thanks to the cooperation with the Ulyanovsk gas equipment plant, Yermak offers a choice of customers combined gas-wood stove-heaters for the bath.
The company is constantly evolving. Products of the company "Ermak" thought out to the smallest detail, and this applies not only to the structural part of the stoves, but also their design.
Wood stoves "Ermak" are in great demand among consumers. Most homeowners are happy with their purchases. Not only their ability to quickly warm up the steam room is noted, but also a very attractive design.
The buyers did not notice any significant drawbacks in the Yermak branded products, however, some people didn’t like the quality of the lining of wood-burning stoves.
Another well-known manufacturer of wood-burning stoves for the bath is Dobrostal. The products of this brand are very popular in our country, as it has excellent quality, it is equipped with various useful functions, and also has reasonable prices.
Moreover, buyers can choose for themselves the ideal product, having collected it on the designer of the furnace, which is available on the official website "Dobrostal".
The range of this large manufacturer is represented by sturdy and reliable stoves with high-alloy stainless steel plates, following colors:
Of the positive qualities of branded wood-burning stoves "Dobrostal", consumers noted a rich choice of design, efficiency, functionality, and the ability to use devices in different modes.
Most consumers simply did not find flaws in the Dobrostal wood-burning stoves. However, there are people to whom the volume of the furnace in the products seemed too small.
Termofor is a Russian manufacturer offering consumers a choice of high-quality wood stoves for a bath, electric stoves of different sizes, units with double-side steam generator, gas and many other stoves models.
"Termofor" also produces convenient portable wood-burning stoves made of metal, which are permissible to use for heating food. In addition, a well-known brand manufactures spare parts kits for sauna stoves and various additional products (control panels, heat exchangers, elbows, tees and other similar parts).
Consumers who have already purchased the Termofor wood-burning stove are advised to contact exclusively authorized dealers and buy units at reliable stores. In this case, most likely, no problems with their use will arise. Today the market is filled with fakes, the quality of which leaves much to be desired, so be careful in the process of selection and purchase.
Users who have bought high-quality branded stoves from the manufacturer, usually remain satisfied with them, claiming durability, reliability and no problems with wood-burning stoves. The original products "Termofor" served many people for decades and did not cause any trouble.
Kastor is one of the first and oldest serial Finnish wood-burning stoves worldwide. The first factory of this company was founded back in 1910. Over the years, Kastor has launched more than 2 million stoves and small fireplaces on the market.
Quality stoves of this manufacturer on the wood are represented by the following collections:
In addition, the brand offers several options for facing furnaces:
Many consumers appreciated the wood stoves of Finnish production. People like the design of units, power redundancy, as well as a convenient hole for cleaning the chimney.
As for the shortcomings, it seemed to some people that it was not very convenient that the Kastor stoves work silently, so it is not always possible to understand whether they are currently operating or not.
When cleaning the ash pan, it is often necessary to put something under the furnace, since in many models it is almost impossible to get it without spilling the ash.
The large trademark "Vesuvius" offers consumers a wide range of high-quality and durable products. In addition, the company's product line is constantly updated and updated with new products.
Today, Vesuvius offers steel and cast-iron stoves for baths and saunas, heating stoves, barbecues, fireplace stoves, chimneys and cast-iron cookware to customers.
Especially popular today are the steel ovens "Vesuvius", represented by rulers: "Skiff", "Optimum", "Rusich" and "Lava". The models offered by the brand are produced with different dimensions and design design - from laconic to pompous.
- high quality of materials from which the Vesuvius furnaces are made;
- spacious heaters;
- affordable cost.
But some people were unhappy with the state of the metal devices. One of the customers believes that it is impossible to use Vesuvius brand furnaces. Of course, this may be associated with the acquisition of a fake product or its improper use.
Keddy is a well-known company from Sweden that produces good fireplaces, stoves, fireplace inserts, as well as chimneys. The range of this manufacturer has wood stoves of various modifications. Some of them have glossy surfaces and non-standard shapes. With the help of such models you can transform the bath, turning it into a small stylish corner.
Users are delighted with the design of branded Keddy Swiss ovens. In addition, Keddy products quickly heat the room and are easy to use, according to homeowners. Consumers have not noticed serious disadvantages, except for high cost.
How to choose?
Most often, choosing a suitable wood stove, people make two mistakes:
- buy too powerful models;
- buy too weak models.
In the first case, the air in the bath will be too hot, but the stones will remain cold. Pouring water on cold stones is meaningless - a sufficient amount of steam is not formed, or it will not be at all.
In the case of a low-power stove, the unit will work for wear to properly warm the bath to the desired temperature. In such conditions, the oven will not last long.
To choose a suitable wood stove, you need to correctly calculate the volume of the room. In addition, the size of the stove must match the area of the room. Consider that brick constructions often have impressive dimensions, so they will not work for small baths. For modest areas, the best solution would be a stainless steel model.
Decide in advance on which model you want to see in your bath. Modern manufacturers offer a choice of many different modifications of the units with additional options and open / closed heaters. Decide on the location of the furnace, based on the layout of the Russian steam room.
Please note that the stove must blend in harmoniously with the bath and steam room. To do this, you need to choose the right model for a particular style of the room.
Do not look in stores too cheap wood stoves. In the catalogs of many manufacturers you can find already inexpensive, but at the same time high-quality models. Buy units only in trusted outlets. It is recommended to give preference to branded products.
Do not confuse wood stoves and boilers. These are different devices. So, the wood boiler heats the water, after which the steam from it is intended for heating. The stoves heat the air, and then distribute the hot streams throughout the room. In addition, there are thermostats in the boilers, but they are not in the stoves. Be sure to consider these differences when choosing a device for a bath.
If you decide to put a cast iron stove in a bath, then it is not at all necessary to prepare the foundation for it, as many users think. If the cast-iron model weighs a lot (for example, 200 kg), then it is better for it to equip a special foundation.
When choosing a furnace, pay attention to the fact that there are no noticeable welds on the product. Devices without them last much longer and work more efficiently.
If you decide to place a brick stove in the bath, then you should pay attention to the state of the brick from which it is assembled. The material should not be defective or damaged. It is also necessary to pay attention to the color of the brick. All elements should have the same shade and uniform structure (both inside and outside). To verify this, it is worth breaking a few bricks.
Keep in mind that the stove flap can be closed only when carbon monoxide is completely released from it. To verify this, you need to stir the coals with a poker. If you notice a blue flame, this will indicate the presence of carbon monoxide.
It is recommended that an iron stove be protected from the steam room with a decorative fence, or the unit can be finished with brick or stone. This way you will save yourself from burns.
If you want to buy a stove that warms up the room as quickly as possible, then you should buy a model with an open heater. These models are best suited for saunas.
The first time it is possible to heat the stove in the bath or the house only after you have fully equipped and checked the smoke outlet.
In the sauna stoves you need to heat dry wood. Here it is worth considering that the moisture content of the freshly chopped material is about 30-50%, which does not contribute to burning. To dry the wood, you need for some time to arrange them in a dry place that is well ventilated.
Never fire wood with gasoline, acetone or kerosene. If there are raw parts in the firebox, then for their ignition it is better to use “dry alcohol”.
It should be borne in mind that in the summer season it takes an average of 3-4 hours to light a wood-burning stove in a bath. In winter, it will take more time - 5-6 hours.
The efficiency of wood stoves can increase only those tanks and heat exchangers that were installed on the chimney.
For warming up the steam room, not ordinary stones are used, but special stones. They must be selected correctly. The most effective and popular are natural stones. - they are most suitable for heating baths.
Today, manufacturers offer us not only standard wood stoves of a square or rectangular shape, but also more original figured and cylindrical specimens. However, before buying such models, you must make sure that they fit into the layout of your steam room, as well as fit it in size.
It is recommended to entrust the construction of a brick furnace to experienced craftsmen, since this process is rather complicated. If you still decided to build the unit yourself, then you should stock up with clear instructions and buy quality materials. Never use silicate or hollow bricks.. Such products will not withstand high temperatures and will not last long.
For the construction of a wood stove, it is permissible to use only fireclay bricks.
More tips on choosing a stove for a bath can be found in the video below.