The use of stained glass in a modern interior
Stained glass in the interior is very practical, functional. Their practical role is to fill the space, delineate the interior zones, highlight the decorating elements, shade the space. They serve as an ornament, and act as separate design elements. No less important is the role of stained glass - creating a color palette in the interior.
With the help of stained glass it is convenient to zone the space. They well distinguish between zones in the room, while maintaining the integrity of perception. Stained glass in the interior is the creation of a special emotional aura and light and air environment.
Photo: door stained glass in the interior of the children's room
Stained glass application options
Not sure where to use stained glass? Then apply them to:
- interior doors;
- screen and partitions;
- suspended ceilings;
- wall panels, niches;
- lamps and lighting fixtures (chandeliers, floor lamps, wall lamps);
- furniture inserts (for example, on doors, mezzanines);
Types of stained glass
- Window stained glass
Most Popular. With their help, the design of a dull, transparent or translucent window is possible. Professional stained glass windows are selected depending on the natural lighting. Stained-glass windows create fancy non-standard lighting in the room, emphasizing the decor of the floor and walls, if there is one. They also hide the room from nearby houses.
Tip: Stained-glass windows absorb light, therefore, for rooms whose windows face the south side, dark stained-glass windows of bright shades should be selected, and for rooms whose windows face the north side - bright ones.
- Door stained glass windows
Occupy not the last place in the interiors of dwellings. Used in the form of door inserts. Performed in a bright color palette. They are dominated by small parts, restrained geometric patterns. Such stained glass windows are used in various types of furniture, even in the doors of accordions, transforming the interior beyond recognition, making it an artistic work of art.
In addition, door stained glass windows seamlessly connect the interiors of various rooms, providing a smooth style transition.
- Interior stained partitions
Stained-glass partitions are used when you need to combine several rooms or zone the space. So the wall with glass will simultaneously divide the room into zones and combine it with its transparency.
Stained glass for ceilings
On the ceiling stained glass look spectacular. Elegance to the interior is added by lamps and ceiling chandeliers, directed upwards. The best option is a stained-glass ceiling of patterned square-shaped slabs made of glass, or a suspended stained-glass structure.
Do not be afraid to use stained glass. Their design features are very durable. Stained glass ceiling is difficult to break, and, of course, he did not suddenly fall on his head.
Panels and niches with stained glass as decorative elements
Stylish decorative interiors in the form of niches and stained glass are considered to be original accessories of the rooms. Their size and shape vary and are selected depending on the depth, volume, color palette.
Important in the installation of stained glass and lighting. For example, the backlight built into the wall will fill the room with a soft light, emphasizing the design of the room. Niches with stained glass are suitable not only for offices, but also for bedrooms and living rooms. In the working area (personal account) it is desirable to use strict geometric stained glass windows with an abstract pattern.
Very often stained-glass windows in the interior are installed when installing a false glass. In this case, the stained glass window itself covers a niche in the wall, and the light inside is used as additional lighting. It looks beautifully false, set between the guest room and the kitchen.
In the interiors of non-residential premises (sports clubs, cafes, entertainment centers) stained glass windows are mounted as an outer wall.
Photo: niches with stained glass in the interior of the dining room
Photo: false window in the bathroom
How are stained glass windows
The interiors of apartments, houses, offices differ in style design. Stained glass is used to emphasize or dilute one or another style. Not always stained-glass windows will look equally beautiful in the interior. They must be combined with the characteristics of housing in general. There are restrictions on their number.
Tip: A large number of stained glass windows suppresses each other’s color palette, as well as the entire interior. Consider this fact at the design stage.
Illumination greatly influences the successful arrangement of stained glass windows. Natural light emphasizes the beauty, light perception, spectacle of the room. Artificially created lighting radically changes the atmosphere, making the interior muted, romantic, extended or narrowed. Also stained glass windows visually expand the space of the room.
Tip: if you want to make the room brighter or, on the contrary, darker, pick up stained glass windows of soft dark reserved colors or light and bright shades (depending on preferences).
Select the stained glass windows with regard to their functionality will always help design experts.
Photo: stained glass in the interior hallway
Types of stained glass
By type of stained glass windows are classified into:
- facet (stained glass, made of cut glass). Original look at furniture, windows, doors. The technical performance is based on chamfering around the perimeter of each glass and further joining the glass with a reinforced hard metal profile.
- soldered (stained glass windows, which are based on multi-colored glass). Manufacturing technology of this type of stained glass windows consists in applying paint from metal oxides and low-melting glasses with subsequent kiln firing.
- painted (the most accessible type of stained glass). This stained glass window is painted on a patterned glass. Suitable for any interiors. It looks interesting on window panes, doors, furniture with painted, which is not exposed to damage from the outside.
- etched (stained-glass windows, on which the patterned is created by a special acid intended for the application of deep contour drawings).
- patterned (stained glass windows based on pastel shades and glass without color). The drawings on such stained glass windows are made geometrically correctly or under the imitation of “frost” on the glasses.
- typesetting (they consist of different parts of multi-colored glass, which look like a mosaic).
- film (creating realistic imitations). The procedure for making such stained glass windows is simple. It is enough to stick a multicolored film on the glass.
- classic light openwork stained glass compositions (made according to Tiffan technology, according to which various glass pieces are attached to each other with the help of small foil.
Ungraved, not painted glass are welcome and suitable for the design of any interior dwellings.
Before making mosaic stained-glass windows, pre-made special modules of glass, which are further interconnected.
When deciding on the shape of the stained glass, consider their design features. Do not forget that the color palette as strongly affects the psyche of people who are constantly in the room, as the image itself. It is important and the ratio of height and shape of the room. Stained glass windows with images in the form of abstraction will be ideal for apartments.
Stained-glass windows of regular shapes with geometric patterns in offices, shopping centers and conference halls look interesting. They not only decorate the interior, but also act as additional decorating elements of the room.
At the design stage of stained glass windows it is recommended to attract professional designers. The most economical and minimally costly stained windows of their films are considered to be of high quality, expensive and durable - made according to Tiffan technology. In any case, whatever stained glass windows are chosen, they will effectively fit into the overall interior design.