Choosing a place to create a prairie garden
A lot of space is needed for the construction of a prairie garden, since its creation uses high ornamental grasses. Also for the device of such a garden, it is desirable to choose a platform with a slope.
Indispensable attributes of the created landscape design of the specified type are rather winding paths, for the manufacture of which natural materials are used: stone or wood, or tile under the stone.
These paths allow you to walk around the garden and look at the plants closer.
The prairie garden is created by sowing cereals and perennial grasses. But some plants require a lot of time for development: from 3 to 5 years. To do this, you can buy ready-made seedlings, which will allow you to admire the new landscape in a year. To diversify the landscape, it is good to use annual grasses that are planted in spring.
For a natural garden look, high and low plants are combined. The choice of plants should be based on the creation of a beautiful form, and not on the use of a wide variety of herbs.
We also recommend to read: Landscape style in landscape design. Mix your own hands: a scheme, a photo, a selection of plants. Open terraces. Resistant plants for the garden.
For the organization of a harmonious and attractive garden, it is enough to pick only 3-4 types of plants, the main of which will be cereal - about 70%.
Prairie Garden (video)
How to choose plants?
Prairie garden is created by combining different plants - cereals and flowers. They give the unique beauty and unique design.
To create the garden described dachadecor.ru recommends using the following types of plants:
- Bearded Gerardi in natural conditions grows in sparse forests and prairies of the North American continent. Once this plant was the main element of the high-grass prairies covering the south of the Midwest USA. This long-resistant grass looks very impressive, and all thanks to its shape and size. This is ideal for creating green screens in landscape and natural gardens. The coloring of the plant in the autumn season is very beautiful.
- A spruce tuberose - this is a low plant with orange flowers, can be a good element of the supplement composition, which contains a dark green or red tone. Large inflorescences of vatochnika will decorate shoots in summer and will last until autumn. This plant is not afraid of frost, but it is recommended to cover it.
- Astra heather is a herbaceous perennial plant. It is best used in arrays, groups, singly or in tapes. Asters are rarely used in gardens, as they are small-colored. And this is not entirely correct. They can give a good cut, and their late flowering adorns the garden in summer and autumn. Planted aster should be in a sunny place and not very thick.
- Bouteloua graceful - this is a very tiny grass that blooms with very interesting spikelets, vertically located on the top of the stems. When the flowers bloom, they are at first bright red, and after they turn pale and turn straw-like. Often in the wild grows on dry and open plains, often on barren soils.
- Pampas grass or Cortaderia Sello is a fairly tall plant that forms thick turfs. Inflorescence pinkish or paniculate, rounded, formed from small spikelets. This plant can decorate the edge, lawn, shore of the reservoir and an open terrace.
- The herbaceous perennial plant that came to us from North America is Echinacea purpurea. It can be planted among the lawn in small groups in combination with low perennials or near trees. This plant is long in the water and therefore widely used for cutting.
- Canadian husky is a short grass up to 2 m high. It blooms in the middle or late summer. The flowers bend very nicely, bend a little, remotely resembling rye. Initially, spikelets have a green color, and then become wheat. The silvery leaves of the plant are an excellent backdrop for shrubs or grasses with maroon-chestnut foliage.
- Flat-leafed eryngium is a grassy perennial plant, reaching a height of about 100 cm. It has blue or blue flowers, leathery leaves, barbed-toothed along the edge. This plant grows in flower beds, and then used in winter bouquets.
- Grassed purple - a plant from North America, which can be called a real decoration of the garden. It is most decorative at the end of summer, at a time when large corymbose inflorescences appear, effectively distinguishing themselves against the background of powerful bushes. When fading away, the stepton does not lose its charm and beauty, but everything is just as attractive due to its silvery-white color.
- Winter-hardy and unpretentious plant is a multi-leaf lupine, which can grow in the northern taiga regions of Russia. Often it is used in group and single plantings with other perennials, as well as on the lawn groups. Looks very impressive plant in a bouquet, but not for long. After flowering, lupins are not very beautiful, and therefore it is better to plant them on a bed in the distance and in small groups.
- Hairy phlox is most common in Canada and the United States. The flowers of the plant have pink, purple, bright magenta or white color, going to umbrellas. The flowers also have a sweet, slightly reminiscent of jasmine or clove fragrance. You can apply to create a landscape style in flower beds. It tolerates cold.
- One of the most amazing prairie plants is the feathery ratibida, which has bright yellow petals and a contrasting bronze bulging center. Its tough, hairy stems 120-150 cm long carry golden flowers. Flowering lasts from July to October. This plant looks very good arrays in flower beds or natural gardens.
- A hirta, or orebackia hairy in a different way, can grow for a year or two, and sometimes for several years. Its homeland is North America. It has beautiful, bright yellow reed flowers. This plant will be exquisite decoration of any group planting, cutting or mixborders.
To grow decorative cereals, in fact, is not so difficult. But they will have one indisputable advantage - a beautiful view at any time of the year. Even in winter, after the plants have dried out, the prairie garden covered with snow looks charming and magical, creating its incredible New Year and winter atmosphere. We recommend reading the article on the spicy garden.