Gypsum glue: advantages and disadvantages
- The nuances of choice
Gypsum can rightly be called a universal material. Due to the basic properties, it is actively used in the creation of various construction products.
One of the most common uses for gypsum is an adhesive that is necessary for fixing plasterboard sheets, panels and decorative plaster parts.
The modern building mixture industry offers a wide range of these products. Due to their unique abilities, they can glue materials of different structure. However, for many consumers, the general name “adhesive mixtures” evokes associations only with cement or with a special adhesive for tile, although the number of compounds and their types is much larger, and gypsum glue is one of them.
A gypsum-based mixture is often used for such purposes as:
- during the fixing of GWP, GCR and GVL, where glue becomes the main link; these plates are characterized by large dimensions and weight, they are used to quickly build various kinds of building structures, so the glue that dries very quickly, in this case, is an ideal replacement for the mounting foam;
- at the stage of facing works of walls with tiles or artificial stone; most often, plaster glue is used for indoor work;
- when you need to stick on vertical surfaces or ceiling HL or GVL in the form of starter trim.
Gypsum glue has a number of advantages due to which this building material is so popular and in demand.
Among them are the following:
- the process of preparing the solution is very simple; step-by-step instruction is on each factory package;
- no lumps form in the finished mixture;
- the mixture dries out for such a period, which is enough to finish all the tasks;
- after drying, the adhesive is characterized by increased strength;
- you can work without installing the frame;
- consumed sparingly;
- it is applied in a thin layer, which saves space in the room;
- durable material; This fact is due to the addition of water-holding components.
At first glance it may seem that the gypsum glue has no negative aspects. However, if we compare this type of adhesive with other types of adhesive materials, for example, with cement, then You can identify the following negative aspects:
- completely frozen, the structure of the plaster mix becomes quite fragile, so it can not be used to install flooring;
- Gypsum-based adhesive is not moisture resistant; it loses its main functions when in contact with a liquid; for this reason, it cannot be used for finishing surfaces on the street side or in rooms with a high level of humidity.
Virtually the entire range of gypsum glue on the market today is sold as a dry powder. It most often has white color, it is rarely possible to meet mixes of a grayish shade. Builders call this type the most successful. To improve the adhesion properties (adhesion of different in composition surfaces) to the main ingredient of gypsum, manufacturers add special elements, which meanwhile allow you to work with glue not in emergency conditions. Another option for such families is an adhesive with quartz. The latter is added to reduce the material need of production. Eminent manufacturers of such an ingredient have very little or none at all.
The characteristics of the gypsum adhesive may vary depending on the extent to which the additives are present. The main function of the glue is to help carry out the installation of various structures, to ensure the strongest adhesion of the working mixture to the treated surface. Therefore, another version of the composition with an increased amount of gypsum was released. Determined the quality of the clutch and the volume of fluid that is used to dilute the factory powder. The volume of water is usually indicated in the instructions indicated on the package.
If the description says that to dilute 1 kg of glue you need to spend 300 ml of water, then you can be sure that there are not so many plaster materials in such a product as different fillers. This is the first sign that the adhesive capacity of this sample of adhesive is not very high, therefore, the glued material can be stratified at the initial stage of operation.
If you go through the market of materials for construction and repair, it can be noted that there are quite a lot of organizations that produce plaster glue. It is worth highlighting a few of the most sought-after companies that, thanks to the excellent quality of their products, have earned the praise of consumers.
- Knauf. Gypsum glue from this brand is sold in packages weighing 30 kg. The composition is considered the most reliable and optimal in terms of price and quality, because the German manufacturer has been trusted by many for more than a dozen years.
- Volma - This is a Russian company from Volgograd, specializing in the manufacture of high-quality gypsum product using a unique technology. Builders often use a brand-name plaster glue, calling it high-quality and one of the best in its manufacturing niche. In addition to excellent characteristics, users also note that the packaging of the brand is convenient. Usually on the market there are bears with glue of 30 kg each, and Volma provides a choice in the form of ten-kilogram packages. In addition, the cost of domestic brand products is much lower than foreign ones, and the quality is not inferior.
- Gipsopolimer Company is a partner of the German TM Knauf, which provides the constituent substances to create a gypsum-based adhesive. And if you compare the products from the company "Gipsopolimer" with previous manufacturers of gypsum glue, it should be noted that this product is much lower, while the quality of the mixture does not suffer from this indicator. According to experts, affordable pricing has become the main criterion for creating competition for eminent and better-known brands.
- "Magma" - this company has been active since 2005, proving every year that it has rightfully earned its place. Production of dry building mixes of the company takes place to a greater extent on German high-tech equipment using German technologies and formulations. The cost of goods, in particular, gypsum glue fully satisfies buyers.
The nuances of choice
When choosing a plaster based glue, it is important to remember what it consists of - the ratio of the main components - water and gypsum. You can not neglect the time of setting of the solution. In quality glue, this indicator should be short. Given this indicator, is determined by the speed of construction work. Most manufacturers produce such versions of gypsum adhesive composition, which retain their abilities for an hour after dilution with water.
However, this figure is not exemplary, because the quality of adhesion depends on the material that needs to be fixed. As practice shows, the mixture can not change its capabilities from 30 to 70 minutes.
In the next video you will find a review of the installation plaster adhesive Knauf Perlfix.