We decided to get rid of ants at their summer cottage and do not know how to do this? There are proven ways to combat these insects.
Do I need to fight the ants who settled on the site? The answers to this question are the most controversial. Someone is categorically against the destruction of the "useful" ants. But gardeners and gardeners, faced with the consequences of stormy ant activity, are ready by any means to rid their land of ants. Apparently it all depends on the degree of damage caused by these insects.
Ants at their summer cottage. Benefit and harm.
Most often in the garden and the garden one has to deal with ants of the species Lasius niger, which are also called black garden ants. These insects live community with a developed system of relationships. In the ant family there is only one queen queen. She lays eggs, and the rest of the work is done by working individuals. They take care of the offspring, get food, guard the anthill.
Ants breed very rapidly. In a short time, the number of ant colony can grow to several tens of thousands. Growing ant larvae need protein food, so ants hunt for all sorts of caterpillars and insects. Fostering the future of offspring and the uterus, ants destroy thousands of pests of gardens and gardens and bring us undoubted benefits.
Building up their underground dwellings ants loosen the soil, making it air-and moisture-permeable. Bacteria brought by insects into the nest saturate the soil with nutrients and trace elements.
Why, then, the owners of gardens and gardens seek to get rid of such useful ants?
What ants love and dislike
Just say, get rid of the ants once and for all will not work, and not necessary. But to reduce the number of families and scare them away from our plantations is quite possible.
For success in this fight it is better to use several methods at the same time. First, let's see what the ants love and what they don't like.
- Murashi adore sugary discharge aphids. To deprive them of their favorite delicacies, the aphids must be destroyed immediately when they appear. Most likely, ants will again and again bring aphids to our plants. But if you sow a small area of siderats (white mustard, clover, phacelia), then there is a hope that the ants will transfer their pets to this “pasture”. Here is a distracting maneuver.
- Ants - sweet tooth. They will not pass by sugar syrup, honey or jam. On the basis of these sweets prepare poison bait for the destruction of ants.
- Ants do not tolerate sunflower oil. If, while digging an anthill, pour oil on the soil, the insects will leave this place. To enhance the effect, you can add ash.
- Plant on the site of sage, mint, basil, thyme. Ants do not like the strong aroma of such herbs and avoid the place of their growth. It repels insects and wormwood, tansy, black elderberry. If you repeatedly water the anthill with the infusions of these plants, the insects will leave their home.
Ants Control Chemicals
You can quickly get rid of ants on the site with the help of insecticides. The choice of such drugs is large. Consider the most effective and popular.
Ant acid is a drug of enteric-contact action. The insecticide contains diazinon. The poison enters the body of insects through the outer integument and with food. Diazinon causes paralysis of the nervous system, leading to the death of the insect.
The drug is available in the form of small granules, which are buried in the soil to a depth of 2 cm in the habitats of ants. The granules have an attractive smell and work like a poison bait. The ants themselves will eat and feed the uterus and larvae. Having eaten the poison, the queen perishes. Within a short time the anthill ceases to exist.
Ant acid is moderately dangerous to humans and animals (hazard class 3). Active ingredient - diazinon belongs to the organophosphate group. When introduced into the soil is absorbed by plants and gradually transformed into safe compounds. After 20 days, no harmful substances remain in the plants.
Anthrax is applied during the vegetation period of plants no later than three weeks before harvest. Consumption rate of 3 g per 1 sq.m. For the destruction of the nest is enough to make an insecticide once.
The ant-eater also contains diazinon in its composition and is similar in action to the Ant. The preparation in the form of an emulsion is packaged in 50 and 10 ml bottles or in 1 ml ampoules.
Before use, 1 ml of insecticide is diluted in 1 l of water, mixed thoroughly and topped up with water to 10 l. At the location of the nest, dig up the soil before laying eggs and pour the prepared solution. Top fall asleep ground. 10 liters of ready-made solution will be enough for processing 5 sq.m. The solution is not stored.
Processing of habitats of ants should be carried out in the morning or in the evening in a dry calm weather.
Anteater belongs to the 3rd class of danger, i.e. moderately dangerous to humans. In soil, the drug decomposes into safe compounds within 20 days. It is better to refuse the use of insecticide near water bodies, since it is dangerous for fish.
Delitsiya (Delicia) - insecticide of enterocontact action. Active ingredient - chlorpyrifos is 1%. The drug is produced in the form of powder 125g, 375g and 500g.
Delicy refers to low-risk drugs for humans, subject to the rules of use.
Bros (Bros) effectively acts against ants. The insecticide contains chlorpyrifos (2%). The drug is available in powder form for 100g and 250g. The action and methods of use are similar to the above described Delitsiya.
a great warrior
The great ant warrior comes in the form of a gel that is in a syringe. The gel contains two potent substances - diazinon (0.2%) and chlorpyrifos (0.3%), which enhance the action of each other.
The gel, in addition to poisons, contains substances with an odor that is attractive to ants and works like a poisoned bait. It is applied with small strokes on the bark of trees, cartons or plastic substrates, which are placed near ant movements. Working individuals feed themselves and bring poisoned food to the uterus and larvae. The effect of the application can be observed for two weeks.
Thunder-2 - an insecticide to combat ants. Active ingredient - diazinon (3% concentration) contact-intestinal action. The drug is produced in the form of microgranules, which are scattered on an anthill, after removing the top layer of earth for 2 cm. From the top they cover with removed soil. The effect of the drug can already be seen on the third day.
Thunder-2 has 3 hazard class (low hazard for humans and animals), harmless to plants and soil microorganisms. Since the drug is dangerous for fish, it should not be used near ponds.
When working with insecticides, the following safety rules must be observed:
Folk ways of getting rid of ants in the garden
For those who prefer not to use "chemistry" in their summer cottage, popular experience gained in the tireless struggle with ants will come in handy. Folk methods are less aggressive and most likely will not help to completely get rid of ants, but they are quite capable of holding back the rapid development of the colony and scaring off insects from “strategically important objects”.
Baking soda helps fight ants
A simple and affordable tool is the use of baking soda. On a two-liter bottle of hot water you need to take 2 tbsp. soda and mix well. The water temperature should be no higher than 50 degrees. The resulting solution to pour the habitat of ants, after removing the top layer of soil. Sprinkle on top of the ground.
To get rid of the ants, ammonia is used (10% ammonia solution). Ammonia mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 100, i.e. A bottle of 100ml goes to 10 liters of water. In the habitat of ants, it is necessary to remove the top layer of soil not less than 5 cm and fill the anthill with the prepared solution. Top fill up with earth. The sharp specific smell of salmon for a long time will drive out the ants.
Ants don't like semolina
If you sprinkle semolina or millet on the anthill, then after a while the insects will leave this place.
Boric acid will help get rid of insects
One third of a teaspoon of boric acid mixed with two tablespoons, a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of honey or jam. The resulting mixture is decomposed into plastic caps and placed in the places of movement of ants. It turns out such a bait, which insects eat and carry the queen and the larvae. Boric acid has a detrimental effect on ants, including the uterus.
Yeast and Sugar
Another effective bait can be prepared by mixing a piece of pressed yeast with a spoonful of sugar. Add a little water before making a slurry. The resulting bait spread out near ant nests. Ants will surely take food to the anthill and feed the uterus and larvae.
These folk methods are good in that their use will not cause serious harm to plants or soil microorganisms and animals.
How to get rid of ants in the greenhouse
To prevent the appearance of ants in the greenhouse you need to hold a number of activities before planting:
If, nevertheless, the ants were settled in the greenhouse, then immediate measures should be taken, since ant colony multiplies very quickly. It is possible to get rid of ants in the greenhouse in the following ways:
- It is necessary to find the entrance to the anthill and put a napkin on it, on which to pour ammonia. Cover with a piece of polyethylene on top to reduce evaporation. All actions must be carried out quickly, using a mask and goggles for protection. Leave the greenhouse open for ventilation.
- Mix a teaspoon of boric acid with 100g of minced meat and roll small balls, which are laid out near the anthill. Ants will carry the poisoned bait to the anthill. From such treats the uterus and larvae will die. Without the queen, the ant colony will soon cease to exist.
- Good result gives bait of pressed yeast, mixed with honey or jam to a pasty state. The resulting bait laid out on the lids in the habitats of ants. Insects will not pass by such a treat.
- An anthill can be dug, placed in a bucket and carried outside the greenhouse. So that the ants do not run away during the relocation, the edges of the bucket must be missed with sunflower oil. Most likely, you will not get rid of ants in this way, but you will significantly reduce the number of families.
- The use of chemical preparations Thunder-2, the Great Warrior, Muravyin and others described above is permissible, but you must strictly adhere to the instructions and follow the safety rules.
In the fight against ants, adhere to common sense and measures, and use tools that are safe for plants and soil.