How to dissolve superglue?
Superglue is the common name for cyanoacrylate based adhesive. The peculiarity of the material is instant and reliable bonding of any surfaces, and therefore it is widely used both at home and in industry. However, this advantage of the tool sometimes becomes a disadvantage, it happens if the glue accidentally gets on the skin of the hands or other coating while working.
Ordinary soap is often not able to cope with the problem, more radical measures will be required.
Where to begin?
In addition to the already mentioned cyanocrylate, the glue contains plasticizers, stabilizers, activators and retarders. When interacting with moisture in the air, these substances become solid and firmly connect any materials.
Currently, there are many options for sale that act almost instantly - these are the well-known “Sekunda” and “Moment”, silicate glue, liquid nails, ultraviolet glue. They all work the same way and, once on the skin, create a problem for the master.
Hardened product can tolerate temperatures of more than 100 degrees and withstand a weight of up to 200 kg per 1 cm2, and therefore it is very difficult to remove superglue that accidentally hit the surface.
Before proceeding with the treatment of the surface soiled with glue, use the following tips:
- protect yourself, wear work clothes and gloves;
- it is most effective to process the glue immediately after it has hit the coating;
- when processing the surface, make sure that there are no children and animals nearby;
- check the expiration date of the agent used against the dried glue;
- prepare a cotton pad, rag material, soap solution, spatula;
- make sure the glue has left only one stain;
- if the glue gets on the skin, then do not resort to aggressive means, use simple soap formulations;
- After working to remove the glue, rinse the surface, wash your hands well and apply a moisturizing lotion on your skin.
In order to remove glue from the surface at home, you can purchase special products, for example, dimexide or "Antikley", also popular options for removing superglue from various surfaces.
There are several known types of solvents.
- Acetone - suitable as a superglue solvent that has fallen onto varnished and painted materials. Before use, make sure that the product does not damage the surface. Then moisten cotton wool with acetone, apply it to the contaminated area, and after two minutes, with effort, rub the coating. Take care when handling acetone.
- Petrol - used when the glue gets on the skin. It is necessary to moisten a cotton pad in gasoline and apply to the place where the glue has got, then rinse the skin thoroughly with soap and water. Gasoline will only help if the stain is fresh.
- Ethanol - Apply a tampon soaked in alcohol to the stain for a few minutes and rub off with pressure. Compresses in this case will not help, as alcohol disappears quickly.
- Water with soap - the most benign option, but only helps if you respond promptly. A damp piece of cloth, well soaked in a soapy solution, is applied to the soiled area and wiped with glue. When the tool is already dry, water will not help.
- Butter - helps when silicate glue hit the glass. Vegetable oil is applied to the damage for about an hour, then gently scrape the softened mass with a spatula.
- Vinegar - The glue stain, rubbed with vinegar, is left for 30 minutes, after which the product is rubbed off the surface much easier.
- Vaseline - acts like vegetable oil. Provides fast splitting of molecules due to high fat content, dissolves dried glue.
Means for different surfaces
To wash the superglue from the skin of the hands, the safest options are nail polish remover, as well as a solution from water, vinegar and soap. In the case when the tool is already dry, you should release your hands in a container of water for 30 minutes, and then wipe them with a scrub.
To eliminate the glue stain from tile or metal, acetone is best suited. An effective way is to create a so-called compress. The cotton pad moistened in acetone is tightly sealed with adhesive tape on the damaged area. In an air-tight environment, the glue will heat up and melt, it will remain to remove the scotch tape and wipe the soiled place.
To remove glue from linoleum, you need gasoline or kerosene. We moisten a rag in the chosen tool, put it on the stain and wipe it. If necessary, you can use a spatula. After work, wash the damaged area with water.
If glue is removed from linoleum or rubber surfaces, acetone or special solvents cannot be used; they act aggressively on any surfaces and can damage the material.
Wipe the glue off the plastic will help ethanol. Remaining funds may adversely affect the state of the plastic surface, for example, dimexide. Acetone in this case will not cope with the problem, it will only change the color of the stain. In general, in the case of superglue on the plastic coating, it is better not to wait for drying, but to eliminate the defect immediately.
On the wooden surface, do not completely dissolve the glue, in this case you have to use the method of scraping and grinding. Dimexide or acetone will help remove the surface layer, then the wood must be sanded.
To remove contamination from clothes, any solvents that do not harm the fabric, such as petroleum jelly, glycerin, butter, margarine, or any other fat, are suitable. In addition, soiled clothing can be frozen, then rub the damaged area, dried glue should crumble.
The best options
There are several ways to deal with the glue on the skin of hands without the use of various means or using the most affordable of them, that is, those that are almost always in every home.
- For the elimination of a thick layer of glue, you can use a female nail file, but you should be careful here and do not overdo it, otherwise you can injure the skin.
- A common common method is to resort to pumice. To do this, you need to steam out the skin in hot water, and then rub the affected area with pumice.
- Some masters prefer, in general, not to solve this problem, after a few days, due to daily hygiene, no trace of glue will remain on their hands.
- You can make a mixture of salt and lemon juice, rub mass of damaged areas. After a few minutes with a stain can handle.
- Another available method of dealing with superglue is to hold hands in a vodka tank; it promotes deoxidation and dissolution of adhesive substances.
But there are also several other ways to get rid of the surface of the adhesive. For example, the above mentioned method of freezing in the event of contamination of clothing. But the opposite method of heat also has efficiency. Napkins are laid out on the soiled area, then this place is ironed, the napkins are drastically removed from the fabric to avoid sticking. The method is not allowed if the glue is stained with delicate matter or a knitted product.
To relieve the form of stains, you can simply soak it for 3-4 hours in water, and then wipe off with soap. You can help yourself with a brush. To remove the old glue, it is also proposed to soak the fabric in water with dissolved detergent and soda. Soaking time - 3-4 hours.
The most dangerous situation is if the glue gets in your eyes. In this case, do not rub the optic organ, wash the eyes with plenty of warm water with a syringe, drip anti-inflammatory agent and apply a bandage. Wait for the ambulance to arrive, the doctors will remove the remnants of glue with tweezers.
How to prevent pollution?
In order to prevent glue from entering the coating or skin, use the following recommendations:
- Before working with superglue wear a working form that will hide the skin from accidental drops as much as possible;
- wear goggles to prevent adhesives from getting into your eyes;
- be sure to open windows before using the tool, check the operation of ventilation;
- try to use no more than the required amount of glue, since its excess will be in contact with other coatings;
- cover adjacent surfaces if you plan to handle any items;
- do not try to press down the tube with all your strength, so that a sticky substance appears, just poke a clogged nose with a needle or toothpick;
- always hold and direct the container with superglue to the opposite side;
- When the tube is half finished, do not fold the used part, cracks are formed on the folds, through which the medium flows, smearing the surface.
Thus, it is possible to scrub off the second glue from any surface without the acquisition of specialized formulations., however, it is better to observe security measures and not to allow this tool to accidentally fall on the working surfaces and skin of hands.
Another way to scrub the glue in the next video.