Tomatoes are far from the most capricious crop grown in greenhouses, but even optimally selected fertilizers, temperature and humidity do not always guarantee proper development and yield. Sometimes the plant stops giving buds for no apparent reason. Consider why tomatoes do not bloom in the greenhouse, and already formed buds fall.
Do not bloom tomatoes in the greenhouse
Causes of the phenomenon
To determine the reason for the lack of flowering and understand what to do, you need to consider a number of prerequisites. In most cases, unfavorable conditions for cultivation are the cause.
The main reasons for the lack of budding:
- Low air temperature (optimum temperature - 20-25 °) or soil. With a lack of heat, seedlings not only stop forming buds, but also die.
- Excess heat in the air (above 30 ° C).
- The excess or lack of soil moisture or air.
- Lack of pollination. In greenhouse conditions, tomatoes must be pollinated by artificial means.
It is possible to determine whether a plant is comfortable in the given conditions by its appearance. If the bush has too massive stems and leaves in the absence of flowers, it suffers from a lack of heat. The lack of moisture can be easily identified by noticing cracked soil at the roots, twisted yellowed leaves and dry tops.
In addition to the main factors that can stop the budding of tomatoes, there are also additional ones:
- lack of lighting and air circulation due to the thickening of the landing of cuttings;
- lack of potassium or phosphorus with a lack of fertilizers;
- nitrogen overload with an excess of organic fertilizers (manure, compost);
- various diseases;
- treatment of seedlings with pesticides.
Sometimes the plant simply does not have the strength to form buds. Multiple and large-fruited tomatoes are subject to this. In such varieties, it is recommended to control the number of ovaries. It is better to choose tomatoes with medium fruits. They are less susceptible to falling off the ovary.
It happens that the lack of flowering or dropping of the formed buds on tomatoes is caused not only by external factors. Due to lack of experience or the necessary information, gardeners themselves can do what negatively affects the budding of the crop.
The most common mistakes are:
- the cultivation of certain varieties from their own planting material (seeds): such tomatoes will not bear fruit;
- treatment of toxic bushes that are already in bloom:
- wrongly chosen location of the greenhouse relative to the access of sunlight (lack of heat);
- excessively thick planting of plants, in which they interfere with each other to grow and develop normally.
If it is correct and timely to establish the reason why new flowers do not form on the tomato, and already formed fall off, you can pick up effective measures to restore the budding of tomatoes.
Methods of struggle
Tomatoes need to create good conditions.
After establishing the cause of the delay in the growth of the plant, it is necessary to immediately eliminate it. The sooner favorable conditions for the seedling are restored, the greater the chances for normal growth and development of the plant.
To restore comfortable conditions it is necessary:
- Set a suitable temperature in the greenhouse (during frosts it is worth using heaters).
- Pour cool water between the seedlings between the seedlings to increase the moisture capacity of the air and reduce the temperature. This should be done before noon to avoid condensation.
- Water the plants with warm water to raise the temperature by a couple of degrees (only if the temperature outside is no more than 15 ° C).
- Air out the greenhouses from time to time for fresh air.
- Conduct artificial pollination or lure bees by placing honey plants in the greenhouse.
- Get rid of all barren flowers so that the sapling directs its forces to the formation of new buds.
When watering a plant, it is always necessary to pay attention to the water temperature. If it is too low, the roots of the seedling may freeze, and the budding process will stop.
Tomato is a culture sensitive to fungal diseases, therefore, before planting, it is imperative to disinfect the seeds (with manganese solution) and soil (with steam, heating or with manganese solution). At infection of a bush by a fungus or insects it is necessary to begin the fight against them immediately.
To prevent problems with budding, regular preventive measures should be taken. Their timeliness can greatly reduce the risk of hitting seedlings.
First of all, in order to prevent the loss of flowers in tomatoes, the culture must provide timely care.
There are several rules to follow:
- Do not create a surplus of nitrogen fertilizers in the soil when tomatoes are in bloom.
- Before flowering, fertilize the soil with double superphosphate and potassium sulfate.
- Monitor the humidity of the air: the ideal in the greenhouse will be 60%.
- To adhere to insignificant temperature fluctuations within the limits of 20-25 ° С.
- Twice a week, abundantly water the flowering shrubs under the root.
- Periodically loosen the ground for better air circulation.
The most important principles of prevention is the methodical and timely conduct, as well as compliance with all recommendations.
Selection of planting material
To minimize the risk of plant damage, it is necessary to know the rules for preparing planting material, caring for a plant and creating optimal conditions for crop growth.
When buying seeds for greenhouse cultivation, you need to pay attention to their quality, as well as the shelf life indicated on the package. Old planting material can cause poor budding and flowers to fall off.
Why do not tomatoes bloomWhy are ovaries not formed on tomatoes? DOES TERMATO BARRIER HAVE ON? HOW TO AVOID IT-100% RESULT! Why do tomatoes bloom and ovary not? Growing tomatoes. When to feed tomatoes.
From the seedlings of tomatoes in the greenhouse, the color falls for various reasons, ranging from external negative factors and ending with gardeners' mistakes. However, all these problems can be corrected if it is timely to determine the cause and eliminate it.
To minimize the risk, it is recommended to plant tomatoes of several varieties that are resistant to high or low temperatures. In this case, even in the absence of ovaries on one of the species, you can count on getting a harvest of another variety.