The space in the corners of the house often remains unused. While there is a shortage of space to accommodate small but useful items. For such cases, there are corner shelves. They can fit into the interior of any room: kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, corridor. Corner shelves in the hallway can be not only a functional element, but also an excellent interior decoration.
Corner wall shelves in the hallway
Corner shelves in the hallway
In the corridors of small apartments there are often situations when you need to place a lot of objects in a small area of space. This will help the corner shelves in the hallway. They save square meters and contain all the necessary things.
The advantages of corner shelves include:
- Compactness, spaciousness, convenience, aesthetic appearance;
- Versatility - they are made of different materials, different sizes, so you can choose a shelf that is ideally suited for design and size;
- Ease of installation with their own hands, ease of dismantling;
- Practicality, ease of cleaning.
Types of corner shelves
By the way of installation the corner shelves for the hallway are divided into:
- Outdoor. They occupy part of the living space of the corridor. The lower part of the design can be used to store shoes.
- Hinged. Save space. Wall shelves in the hallway are presented in the photo below.
By type of construction the shelves are divided into:
- Closed. Content is closed from prying eyes by pivoting, sliding or hinged doors. Doors can be made of the same material as the frame, or from another material. So glass facades look light and light. To hide the internal contents of the closed shelves in the hallway, you can install doors of frosted or tinted glass.
- Open They leave more air, free space. The contents of such shelves should be in perfect order, as it is not hidden from the views of guests. In addition, items on the shelves will quickly become covered with dust. Below are photos of the shelves under the mirror in the hallway.
- Combined. Universal option.
Tip! Highlight of the interior can be doors decorated with stained glass or mirrors.
Depending on the functions performed, the corner shelves are of the following types:
- Shelf-hanger. On the lower part of the design there are hooks for outerwear, and on the upper part you can fold various accessories: umbrellas, hats, glasses and so on.
- Key shelf. Usually has a small size, mounted near the front door. It can be of any form, combine the function of storing fresh newspapers. Design shelves in the hallway for small things can be seen in the photo.
- Shelf for hats. Usually it is high, but so that its contents are easy to reach with an extended hand. Can be mounted above a coat hanger.
- Shelf organizer. It holds a lot of different things: books, flower pots, hats, newspapers, magazines, and more. Hooks for keys, clothes, scarves, umbrellas can be provided on the side or bottom. Below you can see the photo shelf for the phone in the hallway.
- Shoe shelf. Unlike other species, it is not hung on the wall, but installed on the floor. Corner shoe shelves can be high, low, large or small. Their sizes depend on the number of shoes.
Corner shelves for the hallway, examples of which are in the photo, can be made of different materials. It all depends on the funds allocated for the purchase of shelves, the style of the interior, the personal preferences of the owners and the functions that the shelves must perform.
Natural wood is a completely eco-friendly material. In the manufacture of furniture are usually used hardwoods: oak, cherry, ash. Hinged shelves for the hallway of natural wood, as in the photo - massive, thick, strong, durable. Wooden structures fit organically into any interior, but they also have disadvantages: high price, fear of moisture, fire, mechanical damage, and demanding care. If desired, the tree can be processed, covered with special impregnations, painted with paint of any color.
MDF and chipboard
MDF and chipboard - inexpensive, lightweight materials that can be of any thickness and color. Their main advantage is the ability to imitate the surface of natural wood.
Both materials are made from wood chips, but MDF is more environmentally friendly. In addition, it is plastic, so it is suitable for milling and manufacturing shaped parts. Chipboard - cheaper material, make it an economy class furniture.
Hinged shelves in the hallway of plastic differ in low cost, resistance to temperature fluctuations, high humidity, a variety of colors and shapes. Plastic is absolutely safe. It does not break into sharp parts, so it can not cause injury. The plastic surface is non-marking, there are no scratches or fingerprints visible on it, it is easily and quickly washed off from dirt with a rag or sponge soaked in soapy water.
Glass shelves on the wall in the hallway, as in the photo below, look elegant, easy, airy. They decorate the interior. Many people do not install glass shelves, as they experience that they are fragile and easily beaten. In fact, modern glass has high strength. Thick tempered glass is resistant to shocks and can withstand heavy loads. The advantages of glass shelves also include:
- Long service life;
- Resistance to ultraviolet rays;
- Hygiene: do not absorb dust and dirt, easy to clean;
- Resistance to moisture and household chemicals.
The design of the shelves in the hallway with wrought iron elements looks elegant, expensive. When choosing a metal for the manufacture of shelves, you must focus on the style of the interior. So bronze products will suit the classic interior, and chrome elements will successfully fit into the modern hi-tech style.
Tip! Beautifully look shelves from the combined materials: wood and glass, metal and wood, glass and metal.
Making corner shelves with your own hands
You can make and install the corner shelves for the hallway on your own without the help of professionals. The advantages of this method are saving on wages to masters and the ability to create shelves of a unique, author's design. To create a shelf with their own hands will fit almost any material.
The most popular materials for the shelves are chipboard and plywood. Manufacture of shelves is carried out in such stages:
- Training. The dimensions of the future shelves are measured, their attachment to the wall is marked, materials are purchased, tools are prepared.
- A circle is drawn on the material with a compass, divided into 4 equal parts, cut out using an electric jigsaw.
- The rake outlines the fastening points, grooves are made. A check is made of the free entry of the shelves into the slots. All elements are polished.
- The rail is attached to the wall with glue, dowels or screws. The method of attachment depends on the functions that the shelves will perform. If the rake is attached to the glue, you must give it a couple of hours to dry.
- Shelves are inserted into the grooves of the rack.
The easiest option to create shelves with your own hands takes only a few hours. Below you can see the photo of the shelves in the hallway in a modern interior.
This material can be called the second most popular, used for the manufacture of various designs with their own hands. The method of creating shelves using drywall is similar to the previous one. Main steps:
- Preparing the layout, cutting out parts;
- Marking and mounting frame;
- Plasterboard plating, surface finishing with any material, such as paint.
The choice of mounting between the corners and the metal profile depends on the load that will be made on the shelf. Photos of the shelf from the drywall in the hallway can be seen below.
Tip! Very beautiful in the interior of the corridor look gypsum shelves, equipped with lighting. It is easy to make using LED strip.
Installation of corner shelves allows you to efficiently use the hallway space. Compact and roomy, they are ideal for storing items that should be handy. Choosing the right shape and materials, the manufacture of shelves can organically fit them into any interior.