How to choose a cast iron stove for a bath?
The bath is a useful and rather specific construction. That is why its arrangement requires the availability of high-quality and functional devices that will ensure proper heating of the room. Today, manufacturers offer a large selection of stoves for a bath. A bright representative of the products of this segment is a cast-iron stove.
Such a bathing heating device installed in the steam room will help to achieve the required air temperature and soft steam. Among the special features of cast iron constructions, it is possible to distinguish their safety for humans, in comparison, for example, with a conventional iron stove, which, when heated, forms infrared radiation harmful to human eyes.
In addition, this design is able to warm up the air much faster, unlike heating devices made of brick. This is due to the high thermal conductivity, which is different cast iron.
Most often it is made rectangular furnace, but you can find oval and round units.
Features of the cast-iron construction configuration require some additional components:
- water heater;
- remote tank
Unlike monolithic devices, collapsible models have locking grooves, due to which you can easily assemble a thermal structure. Additional sealing of the components occurs with a special sealant. Thanks to its design features, a cast iron stove for a bath can be easily transported to its destination.
There are devices that are manufactured taking into account that the components of the unit will be located in different rooms. This applies to the furnace with an elongated furnace. Such a model allows for the placement of the body itself in the steam room, and the firebox, for example, in the waiting room.
When choosing such a variant of the furnace, it becomes possible to maintain the furnace and warm the steam room from one room, and to rest and enjoy the fascinating view of fire from another room (when installing a heat-resistant screen in the unit).
The most acceptable fuel material for kindling is firewood or peat briquettes. Based on the characteristics of cast iron, it is not recommended to heat the furnace with coal, since the result of heating the structure to too high values may be the formation of cracks on the device surface. The wood bath creates more comfortable atmosphere for the person.
To provide a more attractive appearance to the structure and contribute to the growth of the heat transfer coefficient of the furnace, it can be additionally revetted with stone. This technique will also allow to increase the level of protection of the structure against the influence of external factors, in particular, from moisture ingress into the body of the device.
The pig-iron furnace assumes several options of arrangement of a flue:
- on the reverse side of the structure;
- directly on the unit;
- output through the roof of the building.
The heating device has positive features, among which are the following qualities:
- Small dimensions and weight. Furnaces made of stone or brick are superior to the cast-iron stove in these parameters. However, the compactness of the structures made of this metal does not affect the functionality in any way, due to which it can be used to heat large steam rooms.
- The unit has high efficiency, Such a positive property is due to the capabilities of the raw material itself to conduct heat well, unlike steel furnaces. Having warmed up to the maximum allowable temperature, the cast iron begins to cool, giving off a pleasant warmth to the room, which ensures comfort in the steam room.
- Mobility devices - for installation in a bath of a cast iron construction there is no need to equip a foundation for it. And the weight and size of the device make it possible to transfer the furnace to another room in cases when circumstances require, for example, when carrying out repairs.
- Cast iron construction is the safest heating device. This is due to the tightness of the combustion chamber, which eliminates sparks on any surface in a room or on a person. Brick units are often the cause of fire situations in the bath.
- Low cost products - the owners of the baths note that the total cost of the cast-iron furnace and installation work is less than the cost of building a brick structure.
- Ecological safety of raw materials - The use of the bath, in the first place, should be beneficial to health. Therefore, the operated devices and objects to the same extent must meet environmental safety standards. Cast iron does not pose any threat to humans and is a reliable source that supplies heat to such premises.
And for heating it is better to use natural raw materials - wood, which will provide an additional pleasant aroma in the bath.
The heating pig-iron design nevertheless has a certain lack - material is subject to corrosion. But as testimonials from consumers who exploit such constructions in their baths show, they did not observe a similar negative trend after installing the unit. This is due to the fact that manufacturers during the manufacture of furnaces process the body of the product with a special protective composition.
Cast iron heating structures for baths are periodic or permanent. The main differences of the devices are in the raw materials used for kindling the unit. In the latter version, liquid fuel or gas is used, the supply of which is carried out smoothly, throughout the entire time of use of the steam room. For periodical heating of the device in the form of combustible material, firewood is used.
For rapid heating of the bath, there are types of cast-iron stoves with an open stove, as well as designs with a closed stove. The last option should be installed in the steam room for a long stay and bring bath procedures.
Furnaces with a closed heater perform their functions according to the following scheme:
- The stones are located between two sheets of material, which contributes to rapid heating and slow cooling. This causes the gradual release of heat into the room. Uniform heat transfer has a gentle load on the human vascular system, due to which there are no restrictions for visiting the steam room for health reasons. This applies to people with diseases of the heart and respiratory system.
- Design features remove flue gases through the heater, which additionally heats the air.
- The maximum heating of the stone is about 600 degrees. Therefore, the temperature in the steam room remains much longer, which means that you can save on raw materials for heating the stove and extend the time in the bath.
The open type of the stove assumes the stones to be heated not only from the bottom, but also on the sides. However, in order to heat them evenly, it is necessary to observe the measure in the number of stones - if they protrude beyond the construction, they will not be able to heat them to the desired temperature.
Such devices may have a special grid over the entire area of the body for storing the stone.
Based on the location of the device’s furnace, cast iron stoves are of two types: structures with a conventional or elongated furnace. The last option is settled in a wall opening with an adjacent room with a steam room. This configuration allows you to maintain the unit from the outside or from the inside. In most cases, this placement improves the usability of the stove.
Cast iron furnaces can be classified from the place where the location of the water tank is provided:
- models with built-in capacity in the upper part;
- units with mounted tank;
- designs with a capacity on the pipe;
- furnace with portable tank.
From a practical point of view, it is more correct to dwell on the mounted version, since the tank needs maintenance, and, for example, it is impossible to move the built-in tanks, therefore it is rather difficult to clean them. The portable option is optimal for baths, where the steam room and the washing room are separated.
There are models that are positioned as structures that require additional cladding. It is possible to overlay the device with a brick or a soap powder - its thermal conductivity is five times more.
There are models that are already “dressed” in the factory in natural stone. However, furnaces with already made cladding are quite expensive products, since most often the finishing at cost will be similar to the price for the design itself.
The modern cast-iron stoves are distinguished by their versatility, due to which they are in demand for operation not only in saunas, but also in Finnish saunas.
Leaders in the line of this product are heating devices for baths Gefest, Magnum, "Vesuvius", "Magician".
- Range of stoves "Vesuvius" it is presented by units "Vertical", "Legend", "Russian Par", "Lava".
- Constructions Gefest PB-03 are small-sized models, heat-resistant cast iron is used during the production of products. The device is able to heat the premises, the area of which will be about 25 m2. The raw material for heating the stove is firewood or wood briquettes. The positive features of the design include an elongated configuration of the firebox and the presence of a flame splitter, which provides the heat exchanger with more power. In the basic configuration, a decorative mesh for a stone, a sealant for sealing joints during installation, an ash box are attached to the device. In addition, the stove door is decorated with decorative molding.
- Factory PetrozavodskMash-TNP in Karelia produces quality products for heating baths.
- Ovens ATB are in high demand on the market due to the high quality of the raw materials and structures used in general. The unit is designed for operation in a room with an area of 20 m3. Standard equipment includes a water tank and chimney.
- Stoves for bath Magnum popular due to lining massive stone. This configuration allows the device to keep warm.
- "Vesuvius" It is of the all-welded type with possibility of installation in the wall for servicing from the room adjacent to the steam room.
- Cast iron stove "Sudarushka" differs in reliability of a design. The model is supplied for sale with a water tank. The device is recommended for heating rooms with an area of 15 m3. The unit has a closed type sauna heater and a glass door.
Today, you can purchase a cast-iron unit for heating baths not only on the basis of the product range on the market, but also by ordering a model that meets individual needs.
However, the orientation in the selection of a particular variety is based on the following fundamental factors:
- Aesthetic appeal models. This characteristic is determined by the manufacturer at the stage of creating the structure. To increase the attractiveness, most modern devices have glass doors, through which you can watch the fire.
- Type of fuel used - very important detail. As the raw material is now used not only firewood, but also electricity and gas. The latest options are easy to maintain and use.
- It is also important cast iron grade. The marking of the material reflects its thickness and strength. Such characteristics greatly affect the durability of the structure.
- Efficiency device, which directly depends on the volume of the furnace. It increases with its size.
- Configuration of the furnace itself it matters because it will determine how the device should be positioned.
- Availability of water tank and its device. This product provides the functionality of the furnace, and also makes it possible to have hot water in the bath. The location of the tank in each model may be different.
- Type of heater - in this case, it is worth proceeding only from personal preferences. However, the main criterion in the selection is still the safety of the structure, so that there is no risk of gases or smoke entering the room. Closed heaters give a higher temperature, but at the same time, they allow to control the level of steam with the help of flaps. In the case of an open arrangement option, you will need a metal lid for regulation.
The selection of stones for the heater is an important process for the proper functioning of the stove in the bath. Most of the cast iron structures already have a set of stones in the kit, but there are devices where they must be purchased independently. In order not to be mistaken with the calculations, it should be noted that 100 kg of stones are necessary for the area of the steam room, which is 10 m2.
These attributes require periodic replacement, since their average lifespan is about 3 years.
Stones are selected based on the following criteria:
- shape - rounded products store heat better;
- size - cobblestones should be of different sizes, the largest should be laid down;
- stones with even minimal defects are not recommended;
- great importance is the natural origin of the elements.
The design of cast iron stoves today is of great importance. Aesthetics combined with health benefits have a beneficial effect on the popularity of bath procedures. Constructions that allow you to contemplate the play of flames in a furnace will give you a lot of positive emotions from your pastime, which is why cast-iron stoves with a glass door, located in the steam room, are so popular.
And the models decorated with decorative forging will become an attribute of refinement and good taste. Such designs create the impression of ancient products that have a long history.
How the pig-iron furnace works, look in the following video.