Built-in wardrobe is a popular solution for those who want to have the most comfortable and functional furniture at a relatively low cost. This design implies individual performance in each specific apartment. Unlike case analogs, it is rigidly fixed with the walls and the floor, not being able to move to another place. Today we will tell how the built-in wardrobe in the hallway looks like, and also show photos of various design ideas.
Features built-in wardrobe
Models of built-in wardrobes are carried out mainly on individual projects, taking into account the characteristics of the hallway. Today it is not news, because almost any element of furniture is made to order.
For the built-in wardrobe they use building structures (floor, walls, ceiling) as the basis. Running storage system to the very ceiling. A rigid fixation to the installation site is envisaged; therefore, this model is stationary and cannot be moved to another place without dismantling.
Note! If there is a niche in the hallway or one of the walls is free, then only doors and internal filling will be needed: shelves, drawers, bars. The structure of such a storage system allows you to hold a lot of things. This is necessary for small apartments, where every meter is registered.
Before you make a built-in wardrobe in the hallway, ponder its location. It may be:
- A niche or one of the walls of the corridor, where there are no doors: this modification does not require side panels and rear wall, for the version with compartment doors, they carefully equate the floor surface;
- Corner of the hallway: this model of the built-in wardrobe looks cozy and elegant, while it has sufficient capacity due to the involved corner space;
- Long wall: in a similar design, the cabinet is attached sideways to the wall, facades and a second side panel are made, this model will be relevant for a long narrow hallway.
In our article you can see the various design ideas of the built-in wardrobe in the hallway in the photo.
Advantages and disadvantages of the built-in wardrobe
The built-in wardrobe allows to use every occupied meter of hallway with maximum benefit. Made to order, it fits perfectly into the space. The owners themselves decide how long and depth the built-in furniture will be, how many doors it will have.
What other advantages can be found in this model?
- Built-in wardrobe has a large capacity. It is mounted to the ceiling of the hallway, respectively, the storage area increases in height.
- The model with compartment-opening doors saves corridor space. Conventional doors require free adjacent territory.
- Built-in storage system will perfectly fit into any design style. Depending on the chosen direction, the facades of the cabinet are made out.
- The design of the furniture is reliable and simple. It has a tight fixture with walls, and the doors open and close, moving on rollers on the bar. It is enough to periodically monitor the state of the roller mechanism.
- Built-in cabinets are economical to manufacture. If such a structure is mounted in a niche, then it is enough to make a frame for the doors and the doors themselves. In any case, you can spend less on materials for the back, as well as the upper walls of the cabinet.
- The cost of the cabinet is not higher than the price of a similar model of cabinet furniture. But how many benefits are there!
Built-in closet is not for one year. Therefore, the disadvantage of this model is that it cannot be moved to another place. You have to either completely dismantle the entire structure, or get used to it. In extreme cases, you can change the facades for others, thereby giving the corridor a new look.
Types of built-in wardrobes
Under the built-in wardrobe in the hallway choose the most convenient place in the corner or along the corridor, which will not interfere with the movement of family members. The shape of the facade of such a storage system can be:
- Five walls;
Each type is intended for a specific place in the hallway and is interesting and distinctive in its own way. The names show the shape of the facade. The corner is located along two adjacent walls. Radius walls have doors and rounded. Such models are appreciated for the interesting design and good depth.
Linear cabinets are usually built into a niche, arranged along one of the walls from corner to corner, or mounted along a long corridor. The shape of the facade is performed on one line. The length, the number of doors are made at the request of the owners. Sometimes the built-in corner cabinet is made in the form of a triangle, then its facade is also located along the same line.
Built-in wardrobe is equipped mainly with two types of doors, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages. The opening systems differ in the appearance of the facades, but they must fit well into the hallway setting and be in harmony with the whole interior.
Swing doors open with hinges located on the side panels of the cabinet. Modern fittings are designed for thousands of openings, there are closers in them that move the sheets so that they do not touch the neighboring ones, helping them to move smoothly.
Traditional doors are made with restrictions on the width (not more than 65 cm) and height - the maximum height of the material used. They are sensitive to the shortcomings of the floors and side panels on which they are attached. Such doors are being opened, in contrast to the full-width compartment doors at once.
The compartment doors do not have hinges; they are opened with the help of a roller mechanism, lower and upper, installed in the frame. Such a system is no less reliable than the traditional one; it has stoppers locking the doors in the closed position.
The quality of the compartment doors often depends on the implementation of the frame on which the course of the paintings. They are made of such materials:
- Aluminum: are considered more reliable and silent, do not deform over time, the mechanisms are built into the profile;
- Steel: belong to a cheaper class of materials. Can serve 5-10 years. Used less frequently.
Compartment canvases are much wider than traditional (up to 120 cm and more) and higher. They can be made of the same material, and can carry a different combination of chipboard, mirrors, plastic. Everything connects in one frame and is separated from each other by transverse profiles. Such a system is opened only partially or half due to a rolled out one of the canvases.
In a narrow corridor it will be more convenient to closet with a compartment system of doors that roll back, do not create interference in the aisle. But the compartment mechanism takes up to 10 cm from the depth of the cabinet, it turns out that the shelves themselves will be less wide. This must be remembered when solving the dilemma, which doors to install in the closet.
The compartment built-in cabinet will become more expensive due to a more modern opening system, which requires constant care. So that dust and dirt did not accumulate in the running gears, they should be constantly vacuumed and cleaned.
Which material is better suited for the cabinet facade depends on the chosen opening system. The usual traditional version significantly reduces the possibility of using various new products, but this does not mean that it will look worse. It all depends on the desires of the owners.
The interior of the cabinet is not visible. The main condition here is convenience and functionality. But the facades are a continuation of the space, and are on everyone in sight. Beautiful doors with original ideas can be demonstrated as in a museum. For example, you can make part of the facade transparent, and put your favorite shoes or hats on the illuminated shelves behind it. Such a composition will only decorate the hallway.
Pondering the facade, you can choose a more economical panel of chipboard, MDF, or give preference to expensive original models of glass and mirrors.
This option is always unusual, and small hallways will add depth and spaciousness, visually increasing the size of the room. Designers offer to create a harmonious combination of mirrors with other materials. You can choose mirrors with various patterns created by sandblasting or chemically applying the image inside the material. Modern technology helps to make drawing more complex and voluminous.
On the reverse side of the thick glass is mounted decorative film, which is made of PVC with special additives. This composition adds durability and strength to glass. You can order an opaque facade, matte, shiny, or with various mosaic or abstract patterns. Films provide material safety. At damage to the surface of the facade, glass fragments do not fly away.
The facade of acrylic can be both glossy and matte. Such material does not contain harmful impurities, so when using it you should not be afraid for your health. Due to the flexibility of acrylic, radial doors of cabinets are made from it. The doors of this material have a lighter weight, which reduces the profile load, respectively, increasing the life of the furniture.
Important! On acrylic, you can apply pictures or purchase panels with decorative filling of leaves, flowers, coffee grains.
The photo printing applied to the surface of the facades creates large paintings in the hallway interior. Such surfaces look original and exclusive. Figure can be chosen to suit the owners. Modern technologies allow to apply the image from various carriers.
Leather, textiles, wallpaper
Another way to get original facades for the built-in wardrobe is to decorate the surface of the door with leather inserts, various textiles, and wallpaper. Selected color and texture, suitable to the general interior of the hallway.
Wood, rattan, bamboo
Such natural materials will always be in demand. They are valued for their beauty and durability, have an individual surface pattern. Such facades bring a sense of serenity, peace, touch to wildlife, refresh the interior and can be in use for many years.
Materials are popular because of their democratic value. May have a different lining. For chipboard used lamination or veneer finish. MDF is also used in a dyed condition with possible images.
Filling the built-in wardrobe in the hallway
Built-in closet allows you to contain not only outerwear and shoes. For small apartments, such a storage system will be the way out if there is no possibility to put cabinet furniture in the room. The modern version of the cabinet consists of many elements that serve to optimize things inside: drawers, shelves, baskets, hooks, slats.
Traditionally, the built-in wardrobe has three levels: shoes are placed on the bottom, the middle one is meant for clothes, and there are infrequently used items on the mezzanines. Modern storage systems may deviate from accepted rules and arrange things more functionally. How well the storage of clothes and shoes is thought out, how economically the internal space will be used and its operation is convenient. The filling of the wardrobe can serve:
- Shelves. Used to store folded clothes. They are standard as well as retractable, giving easy access to the far corners. The distance between the two shelves must be at least 30 cm.
- The boxes. Used for small items and clothing. May have a roller extension system. Smooth, soft and silent closing of the drawer provides a guide mechanism with a door closer.
- Baskets. It can be built-in, pull-out, pull-out versions made of metal, light and durable, providing free air circulation inside the cabinet. Look stylish plastic baskets, wicker with slots for hands. Such elements carry not only a functional load, but also an aesthetic one. They can be located on the open shelves in several pieces.
- Barbell This item is designed to be stored on the hangers of outerwear. There are various lengths and purpose. Placed at the request of the owner, for example, for long clothes - in one section, for short - in another. In shallow cabinets, rods may be perpendicular to the doors.
- Pantograph. Such a device for high cabinets allows you to lower the bar with the shoulders to a comfortable height.
The built-in closet can also be filled with other elements: hangers for trousers, retractable shelves for shoes, hooks for bags. It all depends on the wishes of the owners. Additional filling of the cabinet increases the convenience of its use, as well as increases the cost, production time.
Properly plan the hallway under the built-in wardrobe - the process is quite complicated, possibly requiring the presence of a specialist. The designer will help solve the problems of choosing the location, style, size, content. Thanks to what any room will look ergonomic and stylish. Below are photos of the built-in wardrobe in the hallway and photos of various design ideas.