However, Brugmancia cannot be called a garden plant, since it can grow in the middle lane in the open air only in summer. At the time of wintering the winter garden or greenhouse will be an ideal habitat for the plant.
Brugmansia: a general description and appearance of a flower
This is a large, luxuriantly flowering and very beautiful tree shrub, reaching 5 meters. Its flowers have a special decorative effect, which look like gigantic bells, whose length is 50 cm and diameter is 20 cm.
The buds have a pronounced aroma, which is enhanced at night. It is this feature that contributed to the fact that Brugmancia was sometimes called dope.
In addition to the bright smell, the plant amazes with a variety of colors and shades with which nature has endowed it: pink, orange, peach, cream, yellow and yellow-green. There are varieties with double flowers.
In many countries, the plant is also referred to as "angel trumpets." This is due to the almost incredibly fast growth of Brugmansia. Flowers "dope" for the day grow by 3 - 4 cm! And if conditions are favorable, even by 6 - 7 cm!
We also recommend that you read: Wisteria care in spring. How to care for aquilegia in the garden; Shrubs for shady places in the Moscow region;
Methods of reproduction of Brugmansia: cuttings, layering, seeds
There are several ways to propagate this plant. Consider them in more detail.
- Air layouts - in this way, Brugmancia begins to multiply in springtime. To do this, in its upper part a healthy and seemingly well-developed shoot is selected, on which a renal incision is made. After it is processed by a stimulant for rooting, it is wrapped in moss, which must be regularly moistened.
After 60 days, the moss can be removed and separated from the adult plant escape. After separated shoots are planted in a separate container with nutrient and light soil. After 2-3 weeks, you can transplant it into a large pot - permanent residence of the new Brugmansia.
- Cuttings - for propagation of a plant in this way, annual shoots selected from the upper part of the crown are necessary. Their length should reach about 15 - 25 cm, they should also have an apical point of growth.
Cutting is best done at the end of the spring or the beginning of the summer season. After pruning, the shoots are placed in a vessel with distilled water and exposed to a bright and warm place. To prevent the shoots from rotting, add a tablet of activated carbon to the water. By the end of the second week, the cuttings should give roots. When they reach a length of 5 cm, they are transplanted into the ground.
In consequence, the container with seedlings moves to a warm place. Within two weeks, while rooting occurs, saplings are recommended to be sprayed.
- Seeds - this method of reproduction will not allow to transfer to the offspring of plant varietal traits. But if this detail is not important to you, then it is necessary to sow the seeds of Brugmansia in the ground from January to March. Sowing depth should be 0.5 - 1.0 cm.
After the tank with seeds covered with plastic wrap or glass and placed in a warm place (25 degrees Celsius), with diffused bright light. The first shoots will appear in 10 - 50 days. When this happens, you need to remove the film and spray the seedlings (2 times a day). At the same time, watering sprouts, you should be careful: you can not over-wet or, conversely, allow the soil to dry out. After the formation of the first leaves, shoots are transplanted into large pots.
Flowering Brugmansia (video)
Summer care for Brugmancia
- The choice of location in the garden is based on the fact that Brugmansia is a southerner, and, accordingly, prefers sunny places protected from the wind. The plant also likes light fertile soils: a mixture of loam, humus or compost and 2 parts of peat. The mixture is stirred and watered with a solution of potassium permanganate. You can also use ready-made soil, but it is better to add humus or compost to it to increase fertility.
- If in summer there is hot weather, then “dope” needs daily and abundant watering, in case of cloudy weather this is done from time to time. It is also recommended to spray the plant in dry weather.
- In this case, you should carefully monitor and not over-wet the beauty. To avoid rotting, the soil should be drained.
- From planting to mid-September, complex fertilizers should be applied to the soil, intended for flowering plants once a week. This complex usually contains ash, potassium and phosphorus. To the lack of these elements, the described species is very sensitive. When they are deficient leaves begin to turn yellow and fall off. By the end of the summer period, the dose of fertilizer is reduced, and in September the feeding is completely stopped.
- Also do not forget about trimming the bush, which is best done no later than March. Do not remove the Y-like shoots, which are formed peduncles. It is necessary to cut only damaged and diseased shoots, the rest is enough to shorten. In addition, it is not necessary to cut off the small side shoots of the upper part of the crown, which grow horizontally. After all, they are the key to the formation of a beautiful crown of the plant and are the basic flower stalks.
Brugmancia care in winter
Wintering Brugmansii should be held according to certain rules, because this plant is still not intended for our climate, and can not endure the frost.
Already in the autumn, when the temperature drops to 5 degrees Celsius, it needs to be moved to the room. It is best to pick a cool, bright place, provide less intensive than summer, watering.
At the same time, even in the harsh winter time, the shrub does not sleep, it can be grown using artificial back-lighting. Increase the light day of the plant to 14 - 15 hours and raise the temperature in the room to 15 degrees. Do not forget also about regular feeding, watering and spraying, if the air in the room is dry.
It is worth remembering that the room should be ventilated from time to time, while avoiding drafts. The best options for wintering Brugmans become a greenhouse or apartment. If you put it near the window, the plant will continue to bloom.
Brugmansia is a very beautiful plant that requires extra care. But it can not be called too capricious. And therefore, having shown due patience and attention to the plant, you can admire the beautiful flowers of this queen from spring to autumn, as well as enjoy her magical aroma.