Minimalism is a universal style of the interior, suitable for both large and small rooms. In this style often make out living rooms. Minimalism is able to make any room spacious, modern, stylish. Numerous photographs of the interiors of living rooms in the style of minimalism demonstrate how the use of strict and laconic elements of the interior creates a soft atmosphere of calm and harmony.
The living room in a minimalist style is very spacious and cozy.
The main features of the style
New York is considered to be the birthplace of minimalism. It originated in the 60s of the 20th century as a result of combining two styles:
- Functionalism, in which preference is given not to decorative, but to functional elements of the interior;
- Constructivism, characterized by the absence of luxury and the presence of strict elements.
The style is based on functionality and constructivism.
Among the main features of minimalism are:
- Almost complete lack of decorative elements;
- The use of functional objects;
- Interior monochrome (in most cases);
- The use of natural materials;
- Free space. In a room made in the style of minimalism there should be a lot of free space, light and air. Often, when overhauling, lovers of this style remove partitions, combining several different rooms into one, increasing the size of window openings.
Bright, spacious interior living room in the style of "minimalism"
Tip! In the living room of minimalism style, French windows will look spectacular - from floor to ceiling. It is even better to make transparent the entire wall facing the street. If this is not possible, it is recommended to install windows without covers.
Below you can see the photo of the living room design in the style of minimalism in a regular apartment.
The functional sofa of simple laconic forms - the ideal decision for a drawing room in minimalist style
The interior of the living room, made in the style of minimalism, as in the photo, uses muted natural colors: white, creamy, vanilla, beige, sandy, ashy, light yellow. As the main two colors are selected, performing the role of the background. The third color - contrast, is used in small accents.
For the style of "minimalism" most often used sand, white and gray
Usually in the style of minimalism, the walls and floor are decorated with light-colored materials, and the furniture is selected in a darker color. Vivid may be a few decorative elements.
Attention! In the interior of the style of minimalism should not be more than 3 different colors. Otherwise, instead of a solid and discreet design, you get a motley bad taste.
A modern biofuel fireplace is very suitable for a laconic minimalist style.
Laconic decoration of the living room
For the decoration of the walls, floor and ceiling in the living room in the style of minimalism using natural materials or their high-quality imitation.
As a floor covering, you can choose one of these materials:
- Laminate. You can choose dark boards of wenge color or bright white with imitation of tile. Laminate can imitate the surface of natural wood or stone. Unlike natural materials, laminate is unpretentious in the care.
- Porcelain stoneware is a practical and pleasant to the touch natural material. He is not afraid of water, aggressive cleaning products, can imitate wood and stone surface. On the floor of the living room can be installed matte and rough to the touch porcelain or glossy polished.
- Linoleum. This material is inexpensive and durable. The most popular types of linoleum - imitating wood or tile.
- Carpet mat is a lint-free coating made of natural plant fibers: jute, flax, reed, etc. Mats are hypoallergenic, resistant to wear, easy to maintain, provide a high degree of sound and heat insulation, do not attract dust.
- Floorboard. Eco-friendly, expensive and luxurious-looking material. For minimalism, you can choose the board as the color of dark wood, and light or bleached. Patterns do not fit into the interior of minimalism, therefore it is not recommended to lay artistic parquet.
White ceiling and walls in union with dark floors - classic living room in the style of "minimalism"
Light floors look very good against an accent dark wall
The vertical surfaces of the living room in the style of minimalism should be monophonic and monolithic. You can decorate the walls using these materials:
- Brick. Such a finish looks bold, dynamic, causes associations with industrialism and loft style. Completely the whole interior is trimmed with bricks rarely, usually they are allocated one of the walls, creating an interesting contrast. A wall with brickwork can be painted in any color: red, chocolate, gray, white, etc. Brick is a heavy material that takes up a lot of space, so materials that imitate brickwork are usually used for interior decoration: plastic panels, wallpaper, tile, decorative plaster.
- Decorative plaster. With it, you can create a unique design of the walls. It is easy to apply, it is resistant to moisture and dirt, retains heat and provides a high level of noise insulation.
- Concrete. It is a cheap, eco-friendly, heat-resistant and breathable material, with which you can create a simple and uncomplicated decor. Owners of apartments in new buildings can get such a decoration for free. The rest will have to concrete the walls or use materials that imitate concrete.
- Wallpaper. You can use ordinary paper, vinyl, non-woven or liquid wallpaper. They should be monophonic, as in the photo below.
- Wooden panels. Look expensive, cozy, aesthetically beautiful. Wood panels can cover the entire wall or only a part of it, usually the lower one.
Decorative plaster for concrete - the peak of this season!
For the decoration of the ceiling in the style of minimalism using one of three options:
- Plaster, whitewashing, painting. It is inexpensive, is done easily on its own. The main problem is to make the ceiling surface perfectly flat.
- Stretch ceiling - reliable, durable and beautiful version that does not require pre-alignment of the ceiling. It is installed by professionals. Beautifully in an interior both the opaque, and glossy ceiling will look. Glossy ceilings are great for small living rooms. They visually make the room bigger.
- Suspended ceiling. It is made of drywall - cheap material with which you can achieve a smooth ceiling.
Furniture in the interior of the living room in the style of minimalism, as in the photo, should be small, only the actual necessary is selected. The main requirements that apply to it: simplicity and functionality.
The main piece of furniture in the living room is a sofa. It should be a strict rectangular shape with a wide back and monophonic upholstery. Armrests should also be wide and rectangular, and some models of sofas can be without them. Angular models of sofas are very popular.
If space permits, a couple of chairs or poufs are installed in the living room. They can be one set with the sofa or radically different design.
Attention! Upholstery of upholstered furniture in the style of minimalism is made from expensive natural materials: leather, chintz, flax.
In the living room you can put a large closet-sized wardrobe. If its doors are completely mirrored, it will also serve as an excellent decorative element. The mirror surface, reflecting the light, visually make the room larger and lighter.
To store books and some decorative elements, you can install open shelves or wall shelves. Fully clogged shelves look unaesthetic, so it is recommended to leave them half empty. Not uncommon in the halls of a minimalist style - the installation of modular walls. They must have even smooth monotonous and completely deaf facades. There should be no gilding, carving, painting and other decorations. The hinged lockers of the module can be arranged both symmetrically and without observing symmetry.
In the style of minimalism is very popular embedded and transformable furniture. So a bed and a computer desk can be hidden behind the doors of cabinets and bedside tables, the sofa can be folded out, forming a sleeping place and additionally have a compartment for bed linen, etc.
Table for tea and fresh press, like the rest of the furniture in the style of minimalism, should be low and rectangular shape. It can be made from:
- Light or dark wood: wooden furniture looks solid;
- Glass: a transparent surface allows light to pass through it, so this furniture seems light, airy.
Under the facades of furniture should be hidden appliances, for example, air conditioning, wires that pull from them.
The style of minimalism adheres to the principle: the smaller the decor, the better. The following items will harmoniously fit into the living room interior:
- Cushions: may have a bright contrasting colors: green, red, yellow, orange, blue;
- Carpet: it is desirable to choose a monochromatic color, the carpet is recommended for living rooms in which laminate is laid;
- Curtains: should be made of light thin light-colored fabric, it is better to hang blinds, roller or roman curtains on the windows;
- Figurines: placed on the shelves;
- Photographs or paintings on the walls: it is desirable that they be black and white, always in laconic frames of a rectangular shape;
- Fireplace: the modern model of an electric fireplace with imitation of live fire will ideally fit into a living room interior in style minimalism. The flame framed in a metal edging will add coziness to the room. The photo below shows the design of the living room with a fireplace in the style of minimalism.
All these decorative elements will give the interior individuality, reveal the character and preferences of the home owners.
Minimalism is a style suitable for organized people who are not inclined to accumulate and store unnecessary things, like order and know how to maintain it. The living room in the style of minimalism is a bright, spacious room suitable for physical and emotional relaxation, either alone or with family or friends.