The living room is one of the main rooms of the house. Here a family gathers, welcome guests, spend cozy evenings. The living room should be a pleasure to be present to all family members, and to those who visit the house for the first time. Choosing the color of the walls in the living room, photo interior can provide invaluable assistance. This is a serious task, not allowing the adoption of quick decisions.
The muted purple color of the walls in the living room looks very peaceful and fresh.
Tip! The first thing to consider when choosing the color of the walls is the opinion of all family members. It is important that the atmosphere in the room does not irritate anyone, but creates a pleasant feeling of home.
From the color of the walls will depend not only the attractiveness of the interior, but also the mood and well-being of the whole family.
Then you should clearly find out what functions this room should perform, into which zones you will have to divide the space, and what design changes are expected of the living room. Perhaps a wardrobe will appear in it, or the room will serve as an overnight stay for late guests. After completing these steps, you can begin to select furniture, decoration materials and wall color for the living room.
Gray and yellow pastel shades are very suitable for a living room with a fireplace.
It is no secret that the color of the walls can play a big role in the perception of space. Having picked up the correct design, it is possible even from the darkest room with an unsuccessful form to create a ceremonial hall. In order not to be mistaken in the choice of shade, you should consider a few rules that guide professional designers.
- Cool shades visually expand the space of the room. The warm ones make it more compact. Therefore, in modern standard apartments with small rooms you can often find a living room, the walls of which have a blue or greenish tint - people specifically or intuitively choose a color that will help them feel more freedom and air in the living room.
- If the windows of the room face the south side, it is better to choose colder colors for the walls - it will be much more pleasant to be in a room on a hot afternoon.
- The previous rule also applies in the opposite direction - the room on the north side will become warmer if the walls are painted in warm colors. Psychology operates in these two rules, because the sensation of heat or cold can be not only physical.
- If the windows are located on the west or east side, it is also desirable to comply with a certain range. In the first case, cool colors will do - in the light of the setting sun they will become brighter. In the second - pick up the cool, pastel shades. Otherwise, in the rays of sunrise living room may appear too flashy.
- In order to visually raise the ceiling, for painting it is better to choose colors that are several shades lighter than the basic tone of the walls. A darker shade will visually make the ceiling lower.
- It is important to take into account what the selected color will look like with artificial light, because most of the time in the family’s living room is spent, as a rule, in the evenings. Some shades may differ significantly in perception in natural light and with the chandelier turned on.
- If the room is irregularly shaped (for example, narrow and long), you should follow the first two rules. If you paint the end walls in lighter and cooler colors than long walls, you can visually bring the shape of the room to a square, the shape of which is ideal for designers, because in such a room it is easy to implement any ideas and solutions.
Olive is considered one of the main classic colors.
Before choosing the color for the living room walls, you need to decide what style the room will be decorated in, what furniture will be. You should make a choice only by observing certain style matches: pastel colors are suitable for a classic interior, natural shades are for ethnic style or country, and pink wallpaper will be out of place in a loft-style living room.
The white color of the living room walls is ideal for Provence style.
Features of color scale
The color palette is divided into two types: warm and cold. There are psychological differences in the perception of different shades. So, warm tones, act excitingly, stimulating the appetite, elevating the mood and improving performance. But the cold ones, on the contrary, calm down, make you want to wrap up warmly and sit quietly, slowly chatting.
Cool blue shades will help to refresh the interior.
Important! Pick a range of living room, based on how your family usually spends time together. If you like active games and noisy companies - warm colors will only support the fun. If you prefer to spend lazy evenings at the TV or with a book, cold shades will help to relax.
This living room is just made for spiritual evenings.
There are primary colors in each gamut.
- Warm: orange, red, yellow, beige, terracotta;
- Cold: purple, all shades of blue, green.
The yellow color of the walls will make the living room bright and sunny.
But it is impossible to judge unequivocally whether a particular color is cold or warm. Even yellow can be any: the color of egg yolk is cold, the more sunny shade is warm. Red, purple, pink, green can be cold or warm. In order to determine exactly whether the color you like is a warm or a cold range, you need to try to mentally decompose it into shades, estimate how much white color is present in it. As a rule, a more whitened shade is more likely to refer to cold colors.
White color will add elegance to the living room interior.
Strict rules, what should be the wall in the living room, does not exist. The choice of color should be determined only by the preference of the family and the location of the room.
The combination of colors in the interior
A rather interesting choice of wall decoration in the living room is the idea of combining several colors. This can help to divide the room into zones, if the living room also serves as a dining room, workplace or bedroom. This solution will be optimal if family members have different preferences in the choice of colors.
Properly selected colors look very organic in the overall ensemble
There are several options for color combinations in the decoration of the walls.
If you decide to design a living room with a combination of completely different colors, it is desirable that there should be no more than two of them. It can be opposite walls, painted in different colors, one wall, part of the wall. The main thing is that the selected shades have the same degree of saturation. The perfect companion to any color is white.
Shades of the same color
Choosing this combination, there is a much lower risk of error. The best look rooms in which the three walls have a calm pastel color, and one is painted in a rich shade.
In the living room look quite attractive wallpaper with different patterns. It is better to make such wallpaper a highlight of the room, placing them on the same wall, and the rest to draw in a single color scheme. The color of the background walls should be combined with any element of the picture. Selecting different companions for one type of ornament, you can beat the pattern in different ways, highlighting some elements.
Important! Some colors in combination with others may acquire new shades. This feature can revive your interior, and become an unpleasant surprise if it turns out in the process of painting or pasting wallpaper.
Most often, in choosing the color of the living room walls, preference is given to pastel shades of basic colors: beige, pale green, olive, blue, white. Such options allow you to avoid excessive brightness of the room, while giving it a certain atmosphere. An important advantage of this solution is the ability to choose more expressive interior items: furniture, decor, textiles.
These items are accent. Typically, their color is different from the main color of the walls, ceiling, floor, which allows you to stand out, attracting attention and giving the overall atmosphere of the room a bright zest. There should not be many accents - for a small room there can be from one to three bright things. At the same time several pillows on one sofa can be considered as one accent spot.
An accent object may have the same color as the main objects and planes, only of a different, more saturated color. If the color of the walls in the living room in the photo is beige or light coffee, the accent may be wenge-colored furniture or dark brown photo frames on the walls. A more interesting solution is to choose an item in a color that contrasts with the main trim. It can be one large piece of furniture: a sofa, a chair. You can arrange several small items in different parts of the room - a pillow on the couch, a vase on the shelf, a picture on the wall.
Hurry up with the choice of color of the living room walls is not worth it. It will be useful to learn the basics of color, design, even psychology, to hold more than one family council in order to find the perfect shade that will give mood to all members of the household. In addition to color, you will have to decide on the choice of the way to design the walls - whether it will be painting, wallpapering, or maybe a combination of both methods. In any case, the process of choosing and implementing desires can become unforgettable, and give pleasant impressions for several years. After all, every time you enter the living room, the color for which was selected with such diligence, you will again experience those pleasant emotions.