Living room with fireplace: interior planning design
The interior of the living room with a fireplace has long become popular. Similar designs are found not only in country cottages, but also in apartments, private houses, summer houses, even in Khrushchev houses. If before the fireplace was huge, it occupied a lot of space, served as a heating function, today it belongs to the decor elements. With it, you can create an interesting, unique interior design.
Photo: wood burning fireplace
Fireplace in the living room of an ordinary apartment
Usually, decorative fireplaces are used in the apartment, since it is not possible to equip a fireplace with a chimney.
The wide market range offers the electrofireplaces working from the power supply network. The advantages of such fireplaces: the ability to turn on and off at any time, plus rapid heating of the room.
Cons: high cost compared to peers.
Tip: Choose a fireplace that matches the style, features, design and functionality.
By design, electric fireplaces are no different from the classic. The presence of the sound effect of crackling glowing wood, as well as imitation of fire will make electric fireplaces natural and indistinguishable.
Which fireplace to choose?
Fireplaces in the modern interior of living rooms are chosen taking into account the requirements and capabilities of the owners, types and sizes of the room. By species they are:
- built-in (stylish, modern and functional, as mounted in the wall, leaving plenty of space; provide for leaving the fire box outside, and a mantelpiece on top; require high installation costs);
- wall (one of the most beautiful types of fireplaces; settling along the wall; taking extra meters; suitable only for large living rooms, because massive);
- island (new on the market; installed in the center of the living room, easily selected for the desired interior; there are two varieties - suspended and outdoor; used in the design to divide the living room into zones);
- corner fireplaces (the most popular; easy to use; placed in the corner of the room; perfectly combined with furniture; take up little space; do not steal excess space; ideal for small living rooms and Khrushchev houses).
The combination of a fireplace and interior
Choosing the type of fireplace, you must choose the material from which it will be made. Before you install a fireplace in the interior of a small classic living room it is worth considering that it will be a decor and attract attention. Therefore, it is very important to preserve the harmonization of the interior and the fireplace.
Depending on the material, fireplaces are made of:
- bricks (suitable for living rooms, decorated in various styles). For classic style ideal fireplaces with brown bricks. Country style requires a fireplace on the entire wall or on some of its white or light gray shades.
- stone (fit perfectly in the living room of country and rustic styles). Good looking fireplaces, framed by various unequal stones, laid out like a mosaic. A mosaic fireplace with high masonry from floor to ceiling will be originally combined.
- metal (suitable for living styles, high-tech and techno). The color of the metal for the design of the fireplace is selected taking into account the interior and varies from gold to steel and copper. Also, the design provides a combination of plastic, metal and glass in the design. It is important that the heat resistance of the material is respected.
Tip: When installing a metal fireplace, it is recommended to equip a mantelpiece as the metal heats up and there is a high probability of getting burned.
Photo: stone fireplace
Rules of placement of furniture and interior items near the fireplace
- Chairs rational to place on both sides of the fireplace. In front of the fireplace is to build a small table with a tabletop.
- The upholstery of a soft corner or sofa should be combined with the upholstery of the seats. If this is not possible, it is recommended to use harmonious color gamut.
- It is very important to combine furniture with the overall design of the living room and with a fireplace. In general, the fireplace should not stand out among the interior.
- If the wall, near which the fireplace is planned to be installed, is narrow, it is recommended to avoid furnishing. All that can be placed in the room is armchairs and bookcases.
Consider the interiors of practical living rooms with a fireplace in advance so that there is no extra furniture that you have nowhere to put. The room should not be overloaded. Also, it should not be empty. Remember that chairs, tables, sofa, wardrobes, racks give accommodation to the room. It will look good family photos or a picture on the wall above the fireplace. The design of the living room with a fireplace looks amazing against the background of the overall interior.
If you have a fireplace with a chimney shelf, decorating elements will help to emphasize the desired style of the living room, for example:
- candlesticks, ceramic colored pots, flower vases will emphasize the classics of the style;
- living rooms decorated in country style - “old” vases, boxes, photos;
- hi-tech and minimalism - a clock, framed metal and glass photo frames, flowerpots.
You can complement the interior of the living room with a fireplace with accessories such as a scoop, poker, grate.
Photo: fireplace in the classic style living room
How to combine in the living room fireplace with TV
Fireplace refers to the objects of design, and the TV - to the modern elements of technology. According to the rules of the interior, the TV does not fit well with the fireplace. The optimal solution for arranging the fireplace is to place it in line with the TV.
Of course, if there is a possibility, it’s best to plan the interior of the guest room without a TV. Otherwise, these two pieces of interior can be combined, adhering to the following rules:
- You can not place the TV on the opposite side of the fireplace, because fire flame (natural or imitating) will create glare. At the narrowness of the guest room, the heat, radiating from the fireplace, harms the pixels.
- Avoid placing the TV over the fireplace. After all, it is inconvenient to watch the program, sitting near a hot fireplace. It is best to place the TV on the wall next to the fireplace. It is good to use textile elements in the interior, for example, blankets, rugs, fur blankets.
When installing the fireplace, follow these tips:
- Consider that the fireplace is a hard thing. Its installation requires strengthening and heat resistance of the base; therefore, it is recommended to use materials in the form of bricks, stones, tiles for the base.
- The fireplace is equipped as a source of heat or a subject of decor. And in fact, and otherwise the carpet will be superfluous on the floor. It is better if the floor is wooden. The system of "warm floor" will help solve the issue of cold.
- You can not install electric fire near the outer walls, otherwise it will give heat to the street.
- To avoid fire, do not place carpets and furniture near the fire at a distance of less than 1.5-2 m.
- For free movement, it is recommended to rationally place furniture around the fireplace so that there is free access to it and it does not bother anyone. If the living room is small, chairs can be replaced with puffs or large pillows.
The design of the living room with a fireplace is a good design option in a country house, apartment, cottage. Every year it becomes more and more popular, attracting with its beauty, elegance, creativity.
Choosing between the types of fireplace, recommends to give preference to the one that will be in harmony with the design and perfectly fit into the interior of the home.
Possessing imagination, money and desire, you can create an original living room interior with a fireplace, turning the room into a cozy corner in which you can sit in quiet atmosphere with family and friends during long winter evenings, enjoying a good rest.