As a rule, one window is mounted in the room, but if the area of the room allows, the living room can be with two windows. In this case, the space is filled with natural light. Often the windows are located either on one or on adjacent walls, if the room is angular. Window openings vary in height and size; they can occupy floor-to-ceiling space or be located in the center of the wall.
Unusual, but very stylish and comfortable living room with two windows
Useful tips for interior design
The design of the living room with two windows, located both on different walls and on one, has a number of features. There are subtleties in the design of such interiors, since 2 window openings require a more competent selection of colors and furnishings.
Spacious living room with two windows with white suite
Here are a few rules that should guide the design of the hall:
- You should not choose too light colors for the walls - due to the large number of windows in the hall there is enough light. Looks much more impressive color accent on a single wall or a selected area. It can be wallpaper of a contrasting color or a surface with a pattern on the background of a monotonous design of the remaining walls.
- You should not use white when making the ceiling, it is better to paint it in a bright saturated color or to mount stretched canvas with a pattern, photo printing, etc.
- If the size of the room is small, instead of a massive wardrobe, you can install in the niche a wardrobe with sliding doors.
- The living room in pots looks good in the interior of the living room with two windows. The greenery will bring a note of freshness and comfort to the house, besides, an abundance of sunlight will contribute to a good growth of domestic plants.
- If you plan to combine the kitchen with the hall, it is better to divide the space into zones. For zoning, you can choose the lighting, different in texture and shades of materials, partitions, racks, bar, ceiling structures, podiums, etc.
- Choosing a finish for the ceiling, it is worth starting from its height. In the high rooms, you can use dark shades and tiered suspended structures. In the low living room stands on neutral shades.
- If wooden frames are inserted in the windows, they can be supplemented with decorative elements of wood, for example, tonal ceiling beams.
- In the interior of the living room with two windows on different walls, you can safely use materials such as natural stone (granite, marble), ceramic tiles, decorative brick or wood of dark colors.
- The design of the living room with two windows allows you to choose dark colors for decoration, options for such design can be seen in the photo. The abundance of natural light will not allow the dark shades to visually weight or reduce the room.
Fireplace in the interior of the living room with two windows gives a cozy and romantic atmosphere.
Important! If you chose dark colors as the base, take care of good lighting in the dark.
Making the hall with two windows seems more difficult only at first glance. Properly arranging the furniture and choosing colors for the interior, you can create a beautiful and original composition.
Upholstered furniture in olive color around the coffee table creates a friendly atmosphere for conversation and relaxation.
Features of planning
In the interior of the living room with two windows on one wall or on adjacent ones, furniture plays a big role. If the room is not too large, this task becomes more difficult. With one window, there are practically no problems when you make a room, but if there are two of them, you will have to take this into account when arranging furniture.
Symmetrically placed floor lamps at the windows, making the composition complete
Facilitate the task by drawing up a plan of the room with regard to windows and doors and outlining the future location of the furniture. It is important to immediately determine what exactly you want to see in your living room. Whether it will be a room for family recreation and reception of guests or a working space - the selection of furniture largely depends on this.
An example of filling the gap between the windows in the interior of the living room
Under the symmetrically arranged windows, you can put chairs, complementing them with a small table, such as coffee, and floor lamps. Between the windows will fit a narrow closet decorative fireplace. The soft corner will be a great place to relax, where you can sit in the evening with a book or chat with your family for a cup of tea.
A soft corner sofa in the living room with two windows separates the seating area from the dining area.
Important! To install the fireplace will require at least 1 meter between the window openings. By the wall opposite the windows and a fireplace, you can put a soft sofa.
Instead of a fireplace, you can arrange a TV by placing it on a small table or hanging it on a wall. If the TV is located on the table, then there will be enough space above it for photos or small shelves on which you can put souvenirs, photos and other pleasant things.
Functional use of interwindow space with a fireplace and open shelves
If the room is long, then along the end wall you can place a wardrobe or wall with a large number of shelves and drawers. This technique aligns the space, making it more square. In the elongated halls you should not place the furniture along the long walls, this will make the room even longer.
If there are niches in the room, they can be used to place cabinets or even a small built-in kitchen.
Fireplace between the windows looks very elegant and cozy
Two windows on different walls
Regardless of whether the room is located on the south or north side of the house, it will be well lit at any time of the year. The interiors of living rooms with two windows on different walls always look light and fresh, various design options can be seen in the photo.
Windows located on different walls provide a greater overview. Well, if the house is located in a beautiful place, in this case the opportunity to admire the surroundings at once from two sides. Also, a similar arrangement of windows allows the use of corner furniture.
The abundance of light at any time of the year allows you to choose the brightest and most saturated colors in the decoration of walls and floors. When selecting shades there is no need to focus on the north or south side.
Location of windows on a common wall
The interior design of the living room with two windows located on the same wall is convenient because there is more free space on the other three walls. This creates room for imagination in the decoration. You can use paintings, panels and mirrors of all sizes.
When 2 windows in the living room are on the same wall, there is no need to think over the furniture so that the pieces of furniture are arranged symmetrically. You can put soft sofas and armchairs directly opposite the windows.
How to arrange windows
In order for the interior to look harmonious, it is important to choose some colors and materials when designing window openings. Even if the windows are in different functional areas, you should take care that the curtains are made in the same style and fit the design of each of the zones.
If the room is small, the choice of textiles should be approached with caution. Too dense and dark fabrics should be avoided; it is better to hang light transparent curtains with a neutral ornament. To textiles on window openings, you can pick up decorative pillows for a sofa to match the tone or upholstered furniture.
Recently, minimalist trends in interior design have become very popular, where the use of elaborately tailored curtains and designer draperies is inappropriate. In this case, the salvation will be Roman blinds, they do not take up much space.
Color is the basis of any interior, therefore it is necessary to approach selection of shades, having thought well. The design of the living room with two windows on one wall allows you to use more colors even in a small room, you can see clear examples of such interiors in the photo. According to their type, colors are divided into:
When choosing colors it is important to distribute them in the right proportions. Primary color should occupy a larger amount of space; for complementary ones, no more than 30% of surfaces can be distinguished, and bright accents should be used carefully - about one tenth.
Here are some tips:
- The floor must be darker than the walls;
- For the decoration of the walls in the living room it is better to choose light colors as the main ones - on this background decorative elements look brighter;
- If the windows are on different walls of the living room, then the space between them can be filled with a bright accent color;
- If the room is strongly extended, dark colors or horizontal stripes on the end walls will visually expand it;
- If the windows are on the north side, it is worth picking up warm colors, while for the south room there are cooler colors;
- White is combined with any color, choosing it as a base, be sure to dilute it with more saturated shades;
- Blue and blue shades look better with an ornament;
- Orange shades will refresh the room and add energy to it, but you shouldn’t get carried away - it is enough to paint only one of the walls with orange color.
Competent selection of colors and their combinations works wonders. Using these or other shades, you can visually expand or narrow the room, make the interior warmer and more comfortable.
Selecting finishing materials and primary colors should take into account not only the location of the windows. In the decoration of the walls and floor in the living room with several windows, the same rules are used as in standard living rooms.
Finishing the floor should not distract from the main interior, so the design is better to use neutral natural shades, such as brown tones. Using the materials you can divide the living room into zones, for this it is enough just to change the color or texture. A good option for living room is natural parquet, which in itself can become an element of decor. An inexpensive alternative is laminate or linoleum, if desired, they can be combined with a carpet covering.
Self-leveling floors look modern, they can be both monophonic and with various three-dimensional images, sometimes very realistic. When choosing a material, it should be borne in mind that it should wash easily and be resistant to stress.
In the design of the walls is important not only color, but also the texture of the material. The color will look brighter on glossy surfaces, while the embossed texture muffles the tone.
The walls at least a tone darker than the ceiling visually make the room higher. If the windows are located on the same wall, you can use wallpaper for the design of the opposite, this technique will visually increase the space. On the walls opposite the window openings, you can also use stained glass windows or false windows to balance the composition.
Making a living room with two windows on one or adjacent walls is a bit more complicated, however, it allows using brighter and more saturated colors, as well as showing imagination when arranging furniture. If you are not confident in your abilities, you can invite a specialist to work on the design of the room.