Corner fireplaces in the design of the living room
Corner fireplaces vary in shapes, models, sizes, materials. In modern society, they are used to the maximum in homes and apartments. Corner fireplaces are very technological, simple and comfortable. Fireplaces of angular shape are compact, take up little space, and are ideal for living apartments. This source of "living heat" emphasizes the good taste of the owners, the refinement of the interior, the value of tradition.
Photo: symmetrically located lighting near the fireplace will give originality to the design of your living room.
Varieties and features of corner fireplaces
Corner fireplaces differ in technology, purpose, and stylistic design.
Depending on the number of radiation directions fireplaces are:
- unidirectional massive (have one direction of the flame and one section in a triangular shape, suitable for operation in large living rooms);
- bidirectional rectangular (intended for small living rooms, have truncated shelves);
- three-directional (work on the principle of fire, therefore, due to the uneven distribution of heat, they are rarely used).
Tip: do not place the fireplace in the corner near the entrance to the room so that it does not interfere with the free movement around the apartment.
By type of fuel used, corner fireplaces are divided into:
- electrofireplaces (a great option for apartments; in spite of the fact that they are used exclusively for the interior, imitating live fire and the crackling of firewood, they have become practical and more often the owners install them in living rooms). They are convenient, easy to operate, inexpensive, their installation does not require permits.
- biofireplaces (ideal for apartments; alcohol is used as fuel). Advantages: suitable for decorating, do not contain soot and soot, cost-effective when installing ventilation and chimney, environmentally friendly, moisturize the air, do not require installation permits, are used as a means of aromatherapy. Cons: the high cost of fuel, smell, a significant amount of fuel consumption (on average for 2 hours 1 liter), less safe.
- gas (occupy a middle position between wood and electric fireplaces). Pros: the presence of a living flame, tangible heat, the absence of ash and soot, do not require space for storing firewood and special care. Cons: the cost of installing the chimney, obtaining permission to install and the complexity of the connection in the apartments.
- wood (classic version of the modern fireplace, which retained its popularity). Pros: live fire, the effect of crackling wood, the possibility of heating not only wood but also coal, pallets, peat. Ideal for the private sector and suburban areas. Cons: lack of opportunity to use in apartments, installation complexity.
Fireplace as a source of heat
Previously, fireplaces were intended solely for heating the house. Soon this option of heating required constant monitoring, official permission to operate, and significant timber reserves.
Taking into account the fact that the heat output of the fireplace was only 15-20%, this source of heating became more often used as an additional source of heat, less often as an element of decoration “for the soul”.
Among the advantages of corner fireplaces are:
- high visibility of the flame of fire;
- the warmth of the room;
- increased security;
- a variety of design;
Simultaneously with the installation of the fireplace, it is recommended to use alternative heating in case of constant heat preservation in your absence or lack of fuel.
Photo: Corner fireplace in classic style living room
One of the simplest is the living room design with a corner fireplace. More expensive interior with a decorative electrofireplace. Therefore, if you wish to create a unique interior for a minimal price, give preference to a gas corner fireplace.
Types of corner fireplaces
Corner fireplaces are divided into:
- asymmetrical (they act as an element of zoning the space of the room). They are good because they allow us not to divide the living room into conditional zones with the help of partitions, furniture, and specific wall decoration. The presence of an angular asymmetrical fireplace in the living room allows you to create a harmonious stylish interior without disturbing the integrity of the space.
Tip: Do not select the corner fireplace from the objects of the general interior of the room, if you want to preserve the harmony of design ideas.
Depending on the design and design, it will easily fit into the living room of any style. A wide choice of facing materials for finishing of fireplaces gives completeness to an interior. In addition, asymmetrical fireplaces are easy to use, easy to install. Performed at the request of the client with both closed and open firebox. Easy to assemble in the living room.
- Symmetrical (symmetry serves as their constructive basis). The design of these types of fireplaces provides for the availability of free space by placing in the corner. In this case, the interior focuses on the fireplace as the central element of the composition of style. Fireplace overview should be well viewed from anywhere in the room. Furniture, decorations, TV should be placed on the opposite side. Such fireplaces perfectly warm the room. Can be performed in a variety of designs.
Finishing Corner Fireplaces
After completing the technical aspects, the surface of the fireplace walls is treated with special means for better heat transfer and waterproofing of the living room. Next, create an aesthetic appearance.
Material for decoration should be selected in accordance with the design of the room: it should emphasize the refinement of the interior, the taste of the owners and the favorable location of the corner fireplace. The most common are brick and drywall.
Among the ways of finishing fireplaces are known:
- without a certain finish (if the brick is beautiful, of good quality, well processed to fix the color and the seams are neat). The disadvantage is that it may darken over time;
- plastering (applying the mixture to dried masonry after shrinking the fireplace in order to protect the emulsion paint);
- tiles (creative version, providing a variety of colors);
- facing with marble slabs or stone (they look very presentable).
Original finishing options can be viewed on the photo.
Facing materials for making fireplaces
It is believed that the corner fireplaces made of casting, brickwork with mirror decor or tiles - durable, stylish and durable. In fact, it does not matter in what style the model of the fireplace is made, since uniting elements of any and all types of fireplaces are grates or flaps, hearth, fireplace shelves, portal.
Choosing the style of design of fireplaces, look at the pre-photo to take into account all the nuances of design. Wide spacious rooms just need to be displayed in the interiors of styles such as Baroque or Rococo with a unique design of the fireplace portal.
For small apartments, it is appropriate to design in the style of minimalism with a predominance in the interior of decorating objects from modern building materials (for example, glass, steel, ceramics). It is more rational to install in the apartment a built-in biofireplace or a wall-mounted electric. Optionally, you can create a design with a fireplace placed separately from other interior objects.
Those who wish to install a fireplace in the living room of a villa or a private house, we recommend that you give preference to a country style that will emphasize the overall interior of the room in an original way and create an old, cozy atmosphere.
It is welcomed in the interior of the living room with a corner fireplace and modern style, because its feature is the combination of any interior details.
Rules for installing corner fireplaces in the living room
The installation of the fireplace:
- The project of the drawing with an indication of the size, materials, technical features.
- Preparation of the base.
- The arrangement of the chimney.
- Installation of a corner fireplace.
- Fireplace decoration.
Tip: Do not install the chimney without special education. Keep in mind that the installation of gas and wood-burning fireplaces will have to be coordinated with local authorities.
Finishing options can be different: metal, with a classical cast-iron gate and without a specific finish with stone or brick in the design.
For plastering fit a variety of finishing materials. Corner fireplaces are suitable for any interior.
Safety in the interior of the living room with corner fireplaces - above all. As a precaution, you should choose a convenient place for their location and make a quality base.
Choosing a place to place the fireplace is necessary with extreme caution. The ideal is the option when the fireplace is not located between the door and the window. Safe operation of fireplaces is possible in the absence of drafts and with a constant flow of air. Otherwise, there is a high probability of sparks and a fire.
When preparing the base, it is important to consider its ratio to the weight of the fireplace itself. The foundation must be very durable; otherwise, a corner fireplace may crackle in the interior of a stylish living room or may be distorted, which precludes its safe use. It is recommended to pre-reinsure and make the fireplace stable due to the strength of the foundation (in more detail in the photo). The platform in front of the fire corner of the corner fireplace must be laid out with non-combustible material.