You can create a stylish interior in a room of any size. Some 4-by-4 living room owners think that it’s impossible to create a harmonious design in a small square room. However, the interior space of 16 square meters. m can be made modern, attractive and comfortable. To do this, you must choose the right color scheme, decoration materials and furniture. Then the 4 by 4 living room design will be cozy and attractive.
Living room - the heart of the house, so all the details should be thought out to the smallest detail.
White is a neutral color that visually makes the room brighter and more spacious. It is perfect for a 4 by 4 living room interior. Some people avoid white because of its brightness. The problem can be solved using practical materials: paint or washable wallpaper for the walls, laminate or linoleum for the floor and leather or leatherette for upholstered furniture. Any dirt is easily washed off of these materials.
White furniture in the living room adds freshness and lightness to the interior.
In addition to white, you can use any light colors in the interior of a small square room: milky, cream, vanilla, pink, peach. In the photo below you can see how bright colors look bright in a 4 by 4 living room design.
Bright colors in the interior of the living room always look win-win.
If the living room in bright colors seems sterile and uncomfortable, you can add bright colors in the form of accented decorative elements.
Tip! In a small room you should not use colors that visually reduce the space. These include blue, dark brown and black.
With proper use of accents, dark colors do not overload the room, making it very stylish.
For the 4 by 4 living room, you should choose such finishing materials that will occupy a minimum of space, hide the disadvantages of the room and highlight its advantages.
To make the living room stylish and cozy, it is recommended to put on the floor:
- Linoleum - the most popular outdoor material, has a good ratio of price and quality;
- Laminate — able to imitate natural wood or stone, has a reasonable price, resistant to temperature extremes;
- Natural wood massive board or piece parquet. The wooden floor looks gorgeous, it's nice to walk barefoot. The main disadvantages: high cost, fear of moisture.
Light parquet on the living room floor looks great
Tip! Parquet or laminate is recommended to be laid diagonally to visually expand the boundaries of the room.
As a wall covering should be used:
- Paint. Painting - a simple and cheap way to finish, allowing you to save a useful area of the room. It is quite difficult to damage the painted surface of the wall, so this material is relevant for homes where children and animals live.
- Decorative plaster. It is durable, practical, easy to clean, breathable and can mask minor defects on the walls.
- Plain wallpaper. The cheapest option is plain paper wallpaper. It is an eco-friendly, but short-lived material. It is better to choose among models on vinyl or non-woven base.
With the help of drywall, you can make any figure design on the wall and decorate it with photo wallpapers
Tip! If the owners do not like plain walls, you can choose wallpaper with a print, but the picture should be small. Large patterns visually reduce the size of the room.
To finish the ceiling in a small square room, professionals recommend choosing one of these options:
- Painting. This is an easy process that takes little time. In addition, for the living room you can pick up any shade you like.
- Whitewashing is a cheap and easy way to finish.
- Wallpaper. Will help to hide the minor flaws of the ceiling, are inexpensive, have a wide selection of colors and textures.
- Stretch ceiling. May have a matte or glossy surface. The latter due to the reflection of light creates the illusion of additional space.
Stretch ceiling with integrated lighting looks very elegant in the interior of the living room
Tip! The installation of ceiling spotlights will allow you to highlight specific areas of the room and visually make it more spacious.
Furnishing a living room 4 by 4
When choosing furniture should take into account the small size of the room. Bulky and large furniture will not work.
Sofa - the most important element of the living room, a symbol of relaxation and comfort. Suitable compact functional transformable model. The corner sofas also occupy a few places, but for lovers of changing the interior often, modular constructions are suitable. Photo design living room 4 by 5, an area of 20 square meters. m with a corner sofa presented in the photo below.
White corner sofa is great for square rooms
In addition to the sofa, in the room, if desired, you can put two chairs or small soft ottomans, which together with the sofa make up one set.
You can always add upholstered furniture in the living room with bright cushions
To store various items in the living room you can install:
- Wall cabinets and shelves. Cabinets that can be part of a modular wall. They are roomy and take up little space. Shelves - the best option to save space. They can be placed decor items. The material is selected on the basis of the interior style. Wooden shelves look classically, soundly and comfortably, and from plastic - modern, from glass - easily and as if weightless. The shelves themselves can become the decoration of the room, if you make them bright, of unusual shape or create with their help the original composition (for example, arranged in the form of a tree).
- Open shelves, compact wardrobe with a mirror facade, a small sideboard or display cabinet, designed to showcase beautiful objects. Several of these pieces of furniture fit well into the living room 7 by 4, an area of 28 square meters. m. But for a 4 by 4 room, you only have to choose one option.
The open shelves do a great job with the decorative function of the interior and are a great place to store.
A small coffee table is an essential attribute of each living room. You can put fresh newspapers and magazines on it, put cups of coffee or tea, bowls of cookies or sweets, you can play board games on it. In addition, the coffee table performs a decorative function. The type of coffee table is chosen so that it harmoniously combines with the rest of the furniture. Tables are made of metal, wood, plastic or glass. You can choose a transformable model or a mobile table on wheels.
It's hard to imagine a living room without a coffee table.
All elements of the interior of the living room 4 by 4 should help create an attractive design. The decor should not litter the room, it should create the illusion of space and airiness. To decorate a small square living room, you can use the following items:
- Mirrors Reflecting natural and artificial light, they make the room more deep and bright. The mirrors should be placed opposite the window openings.
- Curtains. Textiles on the windows should be monochromatic, translucent, made of light, as if airy, fabric without decorations. Brushes, fringe, braid, drapery - all this makes the interior heavier, makes the room smaller and darker. The same effect is exerted by the curtains of heavy dense dark-colored fabric or with a bright pattern. In a small room on the windows you can hang blinds, blinds or roman blinds.
- Bright pictures and photos. You can hang a few pieces. A large number of wall decor also clutters the interior and visually reduces the area of the room.
Pictures perfectly complement the Scandinavian living room interior
Competently approaching the design can dramatically transform a small square living room, making it attractive for family members and guests.