Upper kitchen cabinets
Upper kitchen cabinets are used to store clean dishes, bulk and other food. By design, kitchen cabinets, located at the top, are divided into open models, closed and combined options.
Open cabinets do not have doors and consist of a body with shelves built into it. Such cabinets have their advantages:
- The width of the kitchen with open cabinets increases visually. Such furniture in small-sized rooms is very appropriate, in apartments - studios, combined kitchens - where every centimeter of space should be used to the maximum.
- Open cabinets are very convenient in operation, when you do not need to spend time opening doors.
- All the contents of the open shelves are in front of the eyes, which eliminates the need to spend time searching for the right thing.
- Open shelves feel great complete with closed cabinets - both mounted and built-in.
- The contents of the open shelves often serve as elements of the additional decor of the room, making even the most standard kitchen set individual and unique. The design of closed cabinets assumes the presence of doors in them. They can be hinged and folding. Such furniture is also not without its advantages.
If you are not ready to show the contents of the cabinets to strangers, it will be safely hidden behind the doors.
There will be less dust and moisture inside the cabinet, and, therefore, cleaning them will be much easier.
Kitchen set with closed cabinets looks more complete and concise. The combined design of kitchen furniture speaks for itself. Such lockers have closed and opening items. Most often, the middle of the cabinet is equipped with doors, and additional shelves are located below or above. They can store spices, a notebook for records, matches and other trifles, which should always be at hand, and which are constantly lost at the most inopportune moment.
The height that should separate the upper kitchen cabinets from the lower ones should be chosen taking into account the growth of the owners and the size of household appliances. Well, if the cabinets will have the optimal number and size of shelves. This will allow them to keep a decent amount of food supplies. They hang cabinets in such a way that the hostess or the landlord can easily get the item they need.
In the hinged cabinets are extremely rarely placed large household appliances, so their value may be different. The size of the upper kitchen cabinets can be from 15 to 90 cm. Most often it depends on the width of the lower cabinets for the kitchen. It is desirable that the upper and lower cabinets blend in the same width.
In order for all the details of the interior to have the appearance of an entire finished composition, it is important that the upper and lower cabinets have the same width. It is possible to choose double cabinets so that the lower cabinet in width coincides with the two upper modules and vice versa, the upper cabinet would be equal in width to the two lower cabinets.
The height of the upper cabinets should be selected taking into account not only the growth of the inhabitants of the kitchen, but also relying on the height of the ceilings. In the kitchen with high ceilings, you can hang cabinets, elongated vertically. If there are many different communications, pipes, fittings and other items that spoil the appearance, it is better to make the cabinets wider. It is also possible to think over the project of the upper box, in which it will be possible to hide all or at least partially impartial details for the interior.
The ideal distance from the wall cabinets to the table top is 60 cm. But this is a standard value and can be adjusted according to individual characteristics. If the lockers are hanging too low, they can interfere with cooking, and it will be impossible to hide communications in them. If you hang them too high, it will also create some inconvenience in operation. To get some object inside or above the cabinet, a person will need to put a chair or stepladder.
Illumination of the working area is a prerequisite for all kitchen rooms, no matter how bright it may seem. In order that the visual kitchen set does not seem bulky, you can arrange small open shelves at the bottom of the lockers, and you can additionally equip a decorative lighting to create an atmosphere of comfort. These can be ceiling fixtures or luminaires built into the kitchen canopy, or there can be an LED strip that is mounted on the bottom.
As a backlight of the upper cabinets can be used:
- Incandescent lamps. They are mainly used in hanging lamps located above the top cabinets. Have a different spectrum of illumination depending on the power. In recent years, they began to be abandoned due to their short service life and large heating.
- Fluorescent lights. They are often used as an independent light fixture and placed under the top cabinets. The light is even, white, fairly intense.
- LED tape. They are mainly used as an additional light. They are often hidden behind various inserts, embedded in decorative panels, or used as interior lighting for open cabinets and modules with transparent doors.
Traditional material for the manufacture of furniture in general and kitchen cabinets in particular are wood and its derivatives - MDF and chipboard. Sometimes the facades of furniture modules made from these materials are sheathed with plastic or veneer. Not so long ago, a new type of plastic appeared on the furniture market - acrylic.
Acrylic panel is glued to the base with a press. This method of attachment is considered to be quite durable and completely eliminates the detachment of acrylic or its cracking.
Also from the acrylic panels can be performed whole facades for kitchen cabinets. The thickness of the facade is quite thin - about 4 mm, but they are valued due to its strength. This is a very important quality in relation to the top cabinets - after all, they are most of all exposed to high temperatures.
Unlike ordinary plastic, acrylic begins to melt at a temperature of 160o C. And since such conditions are very rare for an ordinary kitchen, their use in the kitchen is considered appropriate. Sometimes, the upper and lower cabinets differ in color. This option is often found precisely when finishing facades with acrylic. As you know, the panels of this material have a glossy shiny surface, and in combination with bright shades can greatly irritate the eyesight. Therefore, I often allow a combination of different colors in one kitchen. The main condition for this is that these shades are in harmony with each other.