It is difficult to imagine a more appropriate way to finish the kitchen than laying ceramic tiles. She has a rich set of undeniable merits. Depending on the chosen interior style, the method, pattern, and tile laying area vary. Different designs of tiles in the kitchen can be seen in the photo below.
Tile as an apron is a classic kitchen design
Pros and cons of tile
Like each facing material, tile has a number of positive and negative sides. It is important to understand what advantages for you will be fundamental before the start of repair, what disadvantages you can omit.
- Not afraid of moisture. The kitchen is the place where, no matter how hard you try, anyway, something will spill, leak somewhere, splash, so the entire lining should not be affected by moisture.
- Does not react to temperature drops. This item is also important precisely within the kitchen. During cooking, the air can get very hot, and with the opening of the window, the temperature drops sharply, and this can significantly affect many finishing materials.
- Practicality. Any spilled drink or sprinkled oil is no longer a problem. Tiled floors and walls are easy to clean. Even aggressive household chemicals are suitable for tiles. She is not afraid of frequent washing.
- Does not change under direct sunshine. Quality tile does not fade in the sun. Its color, texture, glossy shine will delight the hosts for many years.
- Rich assortment. Large selection of colors, textures, shapes, patterns, patterns - all this will allow you to choose the tile in accordance with the chosen kitchen design.
- Long operation. It should be noted that with proper care, careful use, professional installation and good quality of the tile itself, it will serve for a long time without changing its aesthetic indicators.
Ceramic tiles can be decorated and the kitchen itself
But, as in any material for repair, tile also has a number of drawbacks that must be considered when choosing a particular model.
The tile looks great not only on the walls of the kitchen, but also on the floor
- High price. For the quality you need to pay. Unlike wallpaper, wall panels, painting walls, tile requires a fairly large investment: the purchase of the tile itself, the mixture for laying, payment for the services of a professional tiler;
- The process of laying tile is quite dirty. You need to be ready for the general blocking of access to dust in other rooms. It is advisable to cover all the furniture with a special, protective film;
- Durable. The tile keeps within counting on long-term use. Therefore, if you are not sure that the chosen color and style of the tile will delight you in 1,2,3 years, it is better to dwell on other ways of finishing the kitchen. Since the whole process of dismantling the “old” tile and laying a new one is quite laborious.
After reviewing the characteristics of the tile in the kitchen, you can proceed to the direct selection of the type of tile.
Tile perfectly protects the walls in the kitchen with open shelves
Types of tile
The variety of tiles in the market of finishing materials is amazing. In order not to get lost among the numerous examples, choosing a tile that is appropriate for your needs, you need to deal with the gradation of the tile.
By place of laying
Initially, it is important to understand what task you set for this finish, that is, what you will be facing it.
Tiles of this purpose should have a thickness of up to 4 mm. Find this figure will help the icon in the form of palm on the package. Such a tile should have all the characteristics of heat resistance, resistance to moisture, temperature, active household chemicals. AA marking, protective enamel, thickness, smoothness - these are the indicators of the optimal tile for the kitchen apron. The design of such styling can be varied. The fashion trend now are kitchen sets of bright colors, which means the apron can be made in adjacent or contrasting shades, with an interesting way of styling. Photo ultramodern tiled finish above the working area can be seen below.
White is considered one of the most versatile.
Durability, durability, readiness for “meeting” with aggressive chemicals, frequent use are the main qualities of floor tiles. The pictogram of this type of tile is indicated by the foot. It has a thickness of 5 to 7 mm, 1 grade of raw materials and 2/3 class of durability. If possible, opt for porcelain stoneware. Such tile possesses high operational rates. The big plus is the easy thermal conductivity of this tile. This means that you can install a heated floor system in the kitchen. The porcelain tile will heat up quickly and cool slowly. Catalogs of floor tiles are full of various options. When choosing a particular model, first of all, it is worth relating it to the rest of the kitchen, furniture, appliances and style of the whole house.
Porcelain tiles are perfect for arranging underfloor heating in the kitchen
An interesting option for kitchen design. The tile slides smoothly from the wall apron directly onto the surface of the kitchen unit. Such tiles should have 5 protection classes. After all, she literally will need to go through fire, water and copper pipes. A fine option here will be porcelain. The modern design of the kitchen allows the use of tiles almost everywhere. So the window sill, covered with tiles, can become an additional working surface, and the dining table, decorated in the same way, will complete the ensemble.
The ceramic countertop looks very stylish and practical.
By external qualities
In appearance tile varies on the following models.
There is no surface gloss, light is partially absorbed. Almost no dirt sticks to such a tile, there are no fingerprints left, but the special texture makes the cleaning procedure a little more complicated than with other types of tile. Multifunctional, suitable for use on any surface;
Matte surface looks very impressive and very easy to clean.
Another name, polished. Thanks to careful polishing, it has a glossy, reflective effect. Glaze covering this tile does not allow to absorb dirt. Which makes the cleaning process easy enough. It is necessary to take into account an important nuance - due to the high quality of polishing, the glossy tile is very slippery. You should not choose it to cover the floor, it threatens to cause injuries;
Glossy ceramic tiles are easy to clean and look very stylish.
Obtained by baking salt with a tile. This is an intermediate option between matte and glossy. Possesses the improved qualities of the light image, but to the present, the mirror shine is far away. The qualities of slipperiness are muffled here, so a semi-gloss tile is an excellent option for floors, walls, aprons.
Semi-matt tile is great for kitchen apron
Transmits the structure of natural materials. Wood, stone, leather - all this is possible to see among the relief tiles. Convex patterns are also a distinctive feature of a relief tile. Interior designers advise to apply this finish exclusively in relation to the decoration of walls. The use of the apron is not justified, since the relief of the pattern will accumulate dirt, which is very difficult to clean.
What size tile would be appropriate in your kitchen?
- Mosaic - each element of such a tile will be from 2.5 to 7 cm in size. The choice of mosaic tile is huge. Only from the imagination of the interior designer depends on what pattern these parts will be folded. We offer you a photo of the interior of the kitchen with the use of mosaics.
- Small - ceramic tile size 10 * 10 cm.
- Medium - represented by dimensions of 20 * 20 and 30 * 30 cm.
- Large - the parameters of such tiles start at 40 * 40cm and above. Photos of the kitchen using such tiles can be seen below.
- In the production of ceramic tiles emit a very large tile. For example, 60 * 60 and 120 * 120 cm - such facing is applicable only for building facades, indoor use is inappropriate.
Important! The smaller the tile elements, the more expensive the direct purchase of tile will be. The work of the tiler will be longer, painstaking, and therefore will result in an increased price.
The classic tile has the shape of a square, but at the moment you can find rectangular, elongated, triangular models. This greatly expands the possibilities for kitchen interior design.
Floor tile design
No matter how hard we try to be objective in choosing the finishes, it is often not the quality that plays the decisive role, but aesthetics. Tile design is an important part of the entire kitchen interior decoration. Let's look at the most interesting design solutions for kitchen tiles.
Floor tiles under the tree presented in the photo, this is a great option for those who want to add naturalness, even in the tile. Made in the form of parquet, it will add to the kitchen a feeling of home comfort, of course, increasing its cost in the eyes of guests. This tile will fit into any style of kitchen interior, combining with other finishing materials, invoking texture with furniture, appliances, accessories.
A real find for kitchen owners in Provencal, Italian, Mediterranean style. Such tile will add to the interior warmth, comfort, a clear stylistic orientation. The photo below shows how it looks appropriate tile in the kitchen in the style of the French province.
Tile in the style of country. Will add elegance, novelty, freshness of views to your kitchen. In the continuation of the chosen style, you can add wooden furniture, wrought-iron accessories, designer textiles as in the photo. Such tile can imitate absolutely any breed. The special highlight will be instances of intentional marriage, chips, cracks, scuffs - this is all part of the image.
Tile in the style of glamor. Luxury, flashy chic, wealth, self-confidence - these feelings characterize the tile under the skin. Animal motifs in the tile fit very bright natures, you need to have a special share of courage in order to arrange the kitchen under the crocodile or snake skin, as in the photo.
In addition to these, the most popular designs of tiles in the kitchen, there are other options: metallized, with crystals, under the fabric, with prints, mosaic, photo tile, three-dimensional, textured, curly, tile of glass.
Important! There are 6 ways to tile: traditional, offset, diagonal, chess, line, kaleidoscope. They all look great when on the wall, apron, on the floor.
A large assortment of tiles on the construction market allows for the most daring interior kitchen designs. We hope our article introduced you to the main types of tiles, its characteristics, purpose, care.