Kitchens in Khrushchev have two main disadvantages: small area and low ceilings. Many owners of such kitchens do not know how to equip a limited space so that it is both beautiful and functional. The problem of small-sized kitchens is very common, so professional designers have plenty of ideas for optimized use of close rooms. Photo design solutions for finishing and furnishing a small kitchen in the Khrushchev can be seen below.
Even in the small kitchen of the Khrushchev era, you can create a stylish interior with a comfortable working area.
Changing the layout will help increase free space and create space for design creativity. There are several ways to do redevelopment:
- Combining kitchen and pantry. This option is appropriate only in apartments, where the room for cooking is located next to the pantry.
- Increasing the size of the room by moving the partition. Such actions increase the size of the kitchen and reduce the area of the living room. Real photos of kitchen design in Khrushchev after repair can be seen below.
- Combining kitchen and corridor. If the dismantling of the partition between the kitchen and the corridor cannot be done, then you can remove the doorway and replace it with an elegant arch or columns. In extreme cases, you can simply replace the swing doors with sliding doors that work like a coupe.
- Combining kitchen and balcony. To do this, be sure to glaze and insulate the balcony. In addition, you can hold a heating system there or install underfloor heating. Projects redevelopment kitchen in Khrushchev can be seen in the photo below.
- Combining the kitchen and living room. The common room will look bright and spacious, will create the most comfortable conditions for hanging out all family members. The hostess will be able to cook in the kitchen area and at the same time communicate with relatives or guests in the living room area. The main disadvantage of such a union is the penetration of smells and noises on the recreation area. Flavors of cooking soak all textiles in the living area. In addition, the noise of working appliances (mixer, extractor or juicer) will not let people rest in the recreation area. Photo redevelopment kitchen in Khrushchev with hood can be seen below.
If the layout of the apartment allows you to demolish the partition between the kitchen and the hall, you get an elegant studio
Note! Before the implementation of redevelopment should go to the BTI and get permission to dismantle the partition.
The elimination of partitions between rooms turns a typical apartment Khrushchevka into a studio. The interior design of a small kitchen in the studio in Khrushchev can be seen in the photo.
View of the living room from the kitchen, converted into a studio in the apartment of the Khrushchev era
Finishing the kitchen in Khrushchev
How to arrange the kitchen in Khrushchev? When choosing finishing materials should take into account the small size of the room. Finishing should occupy a minimum of space, leaving more free space.
Walls in a cooking room are regularly exposed to steam, moisture, and grease. The wall covering should be easy to wash off all dirt and should not absorb odors. Below the photo shows the options for kitchen design in Khrushchev with different finishes.
The walls should not only be an excellent backdrop for the interior of the kitchen, but also withstand frequent tidying up.
This is one of the most common materials. Wallpaper has earned its popularity due to a large assortment of colors and patterns, an affordable price.
Wallpapers easily fit into any style of the kitchen
For the kitchen are suitable options:
- Vinyl wallpapers. Any contamination from their surface can be easily wiped off with a damp cloth. Vinyl wallpaper is durable, moisture-proof, easy to glue, do not fade when exposed to sunlight. Vinyl wallpapers are available with a smooth or embossed surface. For the kitchen, it is recommended to glue smooth wallpapers, since dirt is removed from the texture elements. Pattern wallpaper can imitate leather, brick or natural stone. For the kitchen in Khrushchev fit plain wallpaper or with a small pattern. A large picture will visually reduce the already limited space, but thin vertical stripes will lift the ceilings.
- Wallpaper for painting. It is better to use acrylic paint. The painted surface is not afraid of moisture and steam. Some models of wallpaper can be repainted many times. They allow you to quickly and inexpensively change the design of the room. Photo wallpaper for the kitchen in Khrushchev below.
- Glass fiber Represent a cloth made of glass filaments. Such material is environmentally friendly. It is durable, reliable, not afraid of high humidity, steam, heat. The disadvantages of glass fiber include the high cost and the need to purchase specialized glue.
- Wall mural. They get off one of the walls. You can choose a drawing on any subject: nature, animals, fruits, sea, space, etc.
Wallpaper on the small kitchen will be a bright accent of the entire interior
In a small kitchen on one of the walls, you can stick wallpaper with a perspective. Visually it will seem as if the room has a continuation, access to a flowering meadow, a narrow French street or a terrace overlooking the sea. Beautiful photo wallpaper for a small kitchen in the apartment Khrushchev can be seen in the photo.
Even in a small kitchen, it would be appropriate to look a picture of the photo wallpaper
It is recommended to paint the walls with acrylic paint. It dries quickly, easy to clean, resistant to abrasion and steam. Especially for the kitchen is sold matte paint with antimicrobial properties. If the owners of the apartment have artistic inclinations, you can paint on the wall with some paint or an original pattern.
Painted walls create a light background for a bright kitchen in the kitchen.
Important! It is necessary to paint only ideally equal walls. The paint will not hide, but only emphasize the flaws.
Often used for decoration of rooms with a high level of humidity. It is durable, resistant to temperature changes, easy to clean, has many varieties of colors and textures. The main drawback of the material is thickness. In order not to occupy the scarce space, only a working wall can be laid on tiles. Below you can see a photo of the design of a small kitchen in a Khrushchev with a tile.
Tiles can be decorated not only the working area of the kitchen, but all the walls
In the kitchen, fat drops, pieces of food, and dishes can periodically fall on the floor. The floor is constantly subjected to wet cleaning and scratching with the legs of the chairs being moved. The flooring must endure any impact on it.
Natural wood is luxurious, warm, cozy and tactilely pleasant material, but expensive and whimsical in care. To date, produced parquet, suitable for the kitchen. It is impregnated with a special tool that protects against moisture, but still the wooden surface requires special care: periodic coating with mastic and varnish.
Parquet is a natural and beautiful material, but is subject to aging and needs special care.
Tip! To visually expand the space, it is recommended to lay parquet diagonally.
Laminate - a material that perfectly imitates parquet. Its advantages in comparison with natural wood: cheaper, more wear-resistant, impact-resistant. Due to the presence of the locking fastening between the boards, the coating is easy to install on its own, and also simply disassembled. Laminate cons: slippery, cold to the touch. The interior design of a very small kitchen in Khrushchev with laminate can be viewed in the photo.
Laminate gets along great with ceramic tiles on the kitchen floor
A natural stone
The most popular floor material among natural stones is marble. Dear and beautiful, but not practical. Marble has a heterogeneous porous structure, so dirt and bacteria accumulate inside it. In addition, marble is easily damaged by mechanical action.
Marble will create an atmosphere of luxury even in the small Khrushchev kitchen
It contains polyester resins, dyes, quartz or marble chips. It has a homogeneous structure, so it is devoid of the shortcomings inherent in natural stone. Artificial stone is stronger and more expensive than natural, and if damaged, it can be repaired.
The floor of the kitchen is lined with sheets of plywood with LED tape-gossamer and covered with a light-conducting artificial stone.
Traditionally used for finishing floors in rooms with high humidity. Tile for the kitchen you need to choose among matte models, as glossy - slippery. On the tile you should not save, as wear-resistant and impact-resistant materials are more expensive.
Ceramic floor tiles are the most popular flooring material in the kitchen.
Porcelain tile - analog of a ceramic tile. Differs in higher level of wear resistance. His drawing does not fade and does not fade with time. However, the range of colors he has less than the tile.
Porcelain tiles can have a polished surface, semi-polished, matte and embossed
Its advantages: low cost, a huge selection of colors, moisture resistance, ease of installation, sound and thermal insulation properties. The main disadvantage is the synthetic composition. On sale there is linoleum made from natural materials, but its price is far from the budget. Photo small kitchens 5 m2 in Khrushchev with linoleum can be viewed below.
Linoleum is one of the easiest, practical and cost-effective ways to design kitchen floors.
Tip! When choosing linoleum close attention should be paid to its smell. The stronger it is, the lower its environmental friendliness.
A spectacular way to impress all guests entering the room is to lay the floor with mosaic, but this design is expensive. Mosaic made from natural stone or ceramic tile. To save on flooring, you can not mosaic the entire floor, but only a small area. New finishing materials allow you to create a stylish design for the kitchen of a small area in the Khrushchev.
Mosaic on the kitchen floor looks very impressive
Many owners do not know how to beautifully equip a small kitchen in the Khrushchev, as in the photo. When choosing furniture for a small kitchen, you need to consider several indicators:
- Dimensions - it should be compact and easy to fit into a small area, leaving space for free movement around the kitchen;
- Convenience - it should cause the desire to use it, creating a comfortable environment for cooking and absorption of food;
- Appearance - kitchen furniture for a small kitchen in Khrushchev, as in the photo, it is recommended to select light colors: white, creamy, peach, beige, sand, pink, blue, mint.
In a small kitchen, you should think about every centimeter to make full use of it.
For kitchens that have windows facing south, cold colors are suitable, and those that have warm colors to the north. Universal option - white kitchen. And the pure white color can be not only furniture, but also decoration. This interior looks clean, fresh, airy. Small bright spots, for example, living greens, pictures will help to dilute a sterile situation. The design of a small white kitchen in Khrushchev can be seen in the photo.
The white color of the furniture and walls creates an airy, fresh kitchen interior.
A cooking zone is impossible without three basic elements: a stove, a refrigerator, and a desktop. Together they form a triangle. The closer to each other are the elements of the triangle, the more convenient and faster the cooking process.
Corner kitchen set is best suited for small kitchens
There are several ways to arrange kitchen furniture:
- Straightforward. Kitchen set is installed along one of the long walls. This method is the most popular. Photo rectilinear kitchen set for a small kitchen in Khrushchev can be seen below.
- Angular. Kitchen furniture occupies a corner and space along two adjacent walls. Such a layout is considered the most optimal for small premises.
- Parallel. The elements of the kitchen set are placed along two walls opposite each other. This version of the layout is not suitable for kitchens in Khrushchev. However, it can be realized if you move the dining room to another room.
- U-shaped. In this scenario, kitchen furniture takes up space along three walls. If the legs of the letter "P" will be short, in the opposite end of the room will fit the dining group.
- Island. Cabinets for storage of dishes, refrigerator, appliances are placed along the wall, and the desktop is installed in the center of the kitchen. This type of layout is more suitable for combined premises. In such a situation, the island part will become a space delimiter. Photos of kitchen design in Khrushchev with built-in appliances can be seen below.
Corner kitchen with a bar counter is the perfect solution for the kitchen in Khrushchev, combined with a balcony
Sill can be used as a work surface. This option is convenient when placing the headset in the angular form or in the shape of the letter "P". If the kitchen wall has a rectilinear shape, then it can be placed by the window. In this situation, you have to completely abandon the wall cabinets. Photos of design of small corner kitchens in Khrushchev can be seen below.
The main elements of the dining area:
- Dinner table. In a small-sized kitchen, you can opt out of a large table by replacing it with a compact bar counter, pull-out or folding structure. Photos of the bar in the small kitchen in Khrushchev are presented below. For rational use of space, you can redo the sill in the dining table or bar counter. To do this, set a long tabletop and a pair of legs-supports.
- Seating. Considering how to beautifully furnish a small kitchen in the Khrushchev so that it looked like in the photo, special attention should be paid to the planning of seating places. These can be chairs, stools, a kitchen corner, a compact bench or even a small sofa. All these pieces of furniture should create comfort and be combined with the table.
A small kitchen should not be cluttered with a large number of small items. Decor items are used dosed. They should complement the interior, disclose the preferences and habits of the apartment owners.
A mirror is a functional item that will make any room more spacious and lighter. Here are some options for using reflective surfaces:
- Install a large mirror on the wall and decorate it in a beautiful frame - it can be a laconic silver bezel of square shape or a luxurious round gilded frame with figures, it all depends on the style of the room;
- Hang a few small mirrors, making them an unusual composition;
- Install a full-wall mirror;
- Make a mirror working apron — if you regularly cook in the kitchen, you will often have to wash the mirror apron so that it does not lose its attractive appearance. The interior design ideas of a small kitchen in a Khrushchev with mirrors can be seen in the photo.
In addition to mirrors, you can decorate the kitchen with:
- Live plants. They create an atmosphere of intimacy with nature, enliven the interior.
- Family photos. For them, you can pick up monochrome or, on the contrary, bright multi-colored frames. Photos will give individuality to the kitchen, create a warm homely atmosphere.
- Wall paintings. The genre depends on the tastes of the owners. In the kitchen, a still life will look more harmonious.
- Curtains. How to complement the design of the Khrushchev cuisine so that it was cozy, as in the photo below? To do this, hang the curtains. Textiles are always associated with softness, warmth and comfort. It is not necessary to veil the window opening with thick curtains decorated with lambrequins and fringe. They weight the interior. It is better to hang light transparent curtains and curtains of fine natural fabric. Exquisite window design in the kitchen in Khrushchev can be seen in the photo.
- Wall clock. You can buy a watch of a strict classical form or pick up a designer design model.
- Vases with fruit. Looks beautiful, appropriate and appetizing.
Thus, it is possible to create a beautiful and comfortable interior not only in a spacious, but also in a small kitchen. For this you need to listen to the advice of designers. The most cardinal way to increase space is to make redevelopment. If it is impossible, then you just need to choose a practical section of pastel colors, choose a compact, but functional, light-colored furniture and add a bit of decor. The kitchen will be filled with light and spaciousness, despite the small area.