The design of any kitchen will be incomplete without window decoration. Kitchen curtains should match the overall style of the interior, the chosen color scheme. Roman curtains in the kitchen will become a beautiful and practical option for decorating the window: they correspond to all parameters, because the kitchen is a room of increased pollution, therefore the requirements for curtains are increased.
Roman blinds have the practicality of blinds and the beauty of curtains, so they are perfectly suitable for the kitchen.
Pros and cons of roman blinds
The advantages of this type of curtains for the kitchen include:
- Stylish modern design;
- The ability to make the window sill work, closing the access of light to the room;
- It is possible to apply only the upper part of the window in the midday hours from the bright sun standing at the zenith, to adjust the shading, leaving air and light access to the rest of the window.
Roman curtains are very elegant and fit perfectly into the interior.
Among the shortcomings of the hostess note:
- In order to look out the window, you need to raise the curtain at least to the level of the eyes;
- Open the window for ventilation, too, will not work - you need to raise the curtain to the top;
- If the folds are made carelessly, they are not collected correctly when lifted - they have to be corrected.
Roman curtains in retro style look very impressive in the kitchen
Types of roman blinds
The most popular are 3 types of Roman blinds:
This is a flat canvas, usually its width coincides with the width of the window opening. Folds are formed only when lifting the curtain up. In the straightened form, the curtain is a flat canvas. This option can be made of two fabrics: for example, a transparent organza that covers the kitchen or dining room window all the time, and Roman curtains made of thick fabric. During the day, it is raised completely or in half, if necessary, for example, to create a sun shade, dabbing the room slightly. The classic version of the beautiful Roman curtains in the kitchen is presented in the photo.
Roman curtains of classic cut from natural fabrics make the kitchen cozy and warm.
The cascade version of the Roman curtains in the kitchen differs from the classic one in that even when lowered, the fabric retains folds. Such curtains are more suited to the classical interior for the decoration of large windows, bay windows. At night, they will fall, performing the functions of night curtains, and in the daytime they are not raised to the very end, leaving a similarity to a lambrequin.
Roman cascade blinds
The combination of both options can be used when decorating the kitchen combined with the dining room: in the kitchen set a classical Roman curtain up to the window sill with an easy organza curtain, and for the dining room choose a cascade variety from the same fabrics combined with organza.
Cascading roman blinds are perfectly combined with straight on the kitchen window
A single fabric will emphasize the overall stylistic orientation of the interior, and the difference in curtain designs will be a way of zoning the space.
Cascading Roman curtains in the interior of the kitchen
The photo shows the third type of Roman curtains in the kitchen - frameless - which is sewn without the use of stiffeners. Cords for lifting the curtains can be located both in the center and on both sides of it. Rising, the canvas forms soft folds, gathering to the center or on the sides of the curtains. This curtain will look good on the kitchen window when you decorate the room in modern styles, as well as country, Japanese, choosing the appropriate style materials.
Frameless roman curtains with lambrequin in the interior of the kitchen
Types of lifting mechanism can also be different:
- The lacing and rings to which it is attached;
- Rotary-chain view, as in blinds;
- Electric drive
As a rule, kitchen windows are small, so the latter type of mechanism is rarely used.
Roman curtains with a lifting mechanism consisting of laces and rings
Features of the choice of material
The choice of fabrics for the kitchen curtain will depend on the function of the curtain.
Transparent or opaque
- If the window in your kitchen is facing south or east, and there is enough light in the room, a blackout is recommended - impervious to the sun's rays textiles. Dimaut misses up to 30% of daylight, so it is also suitable only for light and southern windows.
- For the northern side, for a dark and small in size kitchen room, a Roman curtain of transparent or translucent fabric is more suitable.
- For kitchen windows in the apartment located on the 1st and 2nd floors, choose translucent fabrics regardless of the level of illumination of the room.
Based on the purpose of the curtain - purely decorative or practical - choose the material.
Synthetic or natural
- For the kitchen from a practical point of view - modern fabrics with impregnation are good. They do not give dust and nagara from gas to accumulate in the folds of the fabric, but they cannot be washed: only dry cleaning is allowed, which is impossible at home, and in professional dry-cleaning is expensive.
- For sewing Roman curtains in the kitchen, you can choose polyester, nylon, acrylic, blended materials. Dense materials - jacquard, crepe. They are suitable veil, organza, chiffon fabric. They should be chosen in the kitchen of classic design.
- For decoration of windows and bay windows in rustic country style, Provence, eco, Roman flax curtains are suitable.
- Roman curtains with tulle for the kitchen should be made of opaque dense material.
Important! The main requirement when choosing a material for sewing Roman curtains in the kitchen is resistance to fading and frequent washing, the ability not to absorb odors, moisture and steam resistance.
Color and pattern
When choosing fabric for sewing or ready-made Roman curtains in the kitchen, proceed from the general interior design:
- In a rustic and country style, cotton or linen curtains in the color of unbleached linen, light brown, a strip of this color range are appropriate.
- High-tech and minimalism - strict folds, dark or bright color of the fabric, better than monophonic.
- Choosing the classic design of Roman curtains in the kitchen, as presented in the photo, stop your gaze on heavy printed silk, satin, jacquard. If the kitchen is large in size, you can decorate the curtain with tassels, fringe.
- Provence - a strip, small flowers on cotton light fabrics, delicate floral designs.
- Maritime style - a combination of white and blue - companion fabrics can be monophonic, and a white and blue stripe is appropriate.
- English, American style - peas, strip, light floral ornament.
The photo clearly shows how harmoniously the double Roman curtains look in the interior of the kitchen, made in contrast: using two different materials, two textures. They will effectively complement the interior of a minimalist room, English classics, French Provence.
Important! When choosing fabrics with a pattern, be careful - pay attention so that a large ornament, pattern, pattern is not hidden in the folds of the Roman curtains.
The color of the Roman curtains in the interior of the kitchen does not have to be the same color as the walls and furniture. The main requirements are the observance of the rules dictated by the design style of the room, compatibility with interior items in design and color:
- If the walls are trimmed with solid materials - you can choose fabrics with a pattern;
- If the design of the room has a pattern, then stop your choice on plain curtains.
The fastening options for Roman blinds are also varied. They can be mounted on curtains with velcro, hooks, rings, eyelets.
If you need to install the curtain directly into the window opening, you can do it with double-sided tape so that the fabric fits as close as possible to the glass. This makes it possible to use the kitchen window sill as an additional working space or as a shelf for flowers.
If you have chosen the installation option above the window opening, so that the curtain becomes an eye-catching element of the decor of the kitchen space, the usual cornice will be suitable for fastening. Then the curtain will be mounted on it, like a regular curtain - on hooks, eyelets or loops. The last option is good for products in rustic styles and the sea.
In the arched windows and bay windows, Roman blinds can be fitted in various ways:
- Flexible straps;
- Eaves of the special bent form;
- With the help of a string cornice.
How to care for roman blinds
- Remove dust accumulating in the folds with a vacuum cleaner or a dry cloth. If you do this regularly, the dust is not soaked with cooking carbon and grease from cooking, do not enter into the material.
- You can remove stains from portieres in ways that are suitable for removing stains from this type of fabric.
- Wash curtains can be removed from the curtains, carefully removing weighting. Dry either as a fabric or in assembled form. Natural materials are better dried and otparit, and then assemble the entire structure and hang it in place.
- If the material requires special care, and it is difficult to return it to its original appearance at home, contact a professional dry cleaner.
How to sew roman blinds
Having found out in the salon how much ready Roman curtains cost in the kitchen, you can try to sew them with your own hands. It is necessary to make measurements and calculate the consumption of material, purchase fabric and cornice, guides. For this can be used metal rods, thin wooden slats.
Fabric consumption: it is enough to add 15-20 cm in height and 5 cm from the sides to the width of the opening.
Number of slats: depends on the size of the window, 6-7 pieces will be enough for a standard kitchen window.
Stages of work:
- From below and from above on the fabric to make a turn: at the top in order to put the curtain on the eaves, from below - for the weight bar.
- Having laid the markup on the back of the fabric, along which the rods and rings for the cord will be placed, sew around it, having preliminarily swept the lining, so that a rod can be inserted between the seams.
- Sew the rings, pass the cord through them.
Roman curtain ready. It will harmoniously fit into the unified style space of your kitchen.
Roman curtains will be a harmonious completion of the design of the kitchen space. Stylish and comfortable to use, they will create coziness in the kitchen, transform it, because the interior details and create comfort.