Features and benefits
A juicer is a very necessary thing that should be in every kitchen. It allows you to create natural fresh juices at home. Many people often wonder which appliance is better: manual or electric? And in this case, the choice often falls on handheld devices, since they do not need power supply, and their cost is much more affordable.
Although the processing speed, as well as the performance of manual squeezers, is lower than in electrical appliances, but still, they do not tend to heat up, and therefore such models are much safer. In addition, when electric juicers are heated during operation, the juice inside them can also become hot, and an increase in temperature can adversely affect the safety of vitamins and healthy substances of fruits and vegetables. That is why now the use of manual juicers is no less popular than in Soviet times. Such devices are more reliable, they are not subject to frequent breakdowns. To squeeze the juice with your own hands was easier, you need to choose the right type of manual juicer.
There are several types of manual-type juicers: horizontal auger, citrus juicer and various presses. Separately, you can select a mechanical model for apples and a device for berries. Screw devices look like a meat grinder, they have a mechanical device, they are controlled by the hands on the principle of twisting the meat grinder handles, and the fruits and vegetables that are inside give the juice under the action of a large press.
When buying this device, decide for which fruit you are purchasing it. Such a manual model is not suitable for very hard fruits and vegetables, and especially for berries with stones. Not everyone will be able to use such a device when squeezing juice from hard fruits, for this it will be necessary to put a lot of effort.
Mounted such a device is very easy, you can install it on any countertop. The screw juice extractor perfectly will be suitable for receiving juice from currant, from strawberry, from tomatoes, from carrots, and also from other fruits with sunflower seeds and dense skin. They do not need to be constantly stopped and cleaned from the accumulated pulp.
With the help of the second type of this device you can squeeze only citrus fruits of orange, grapefruit, lemon, mandarin. Their action is based on the movement of the motor. Besides it, the construction consists of a cone-shaped nozzle with bulky ribs, on which half of the whole fruit is placed.
Also included in the kit is a vessel for assembling the resulting juice. There is one more kind of such juicer, the device of which can be activated with the help of a special lever. He presses on the citrus fruit on the top of the cap, in which you can squeeze the juice from the whole fruit.
The scope of this device is limited to the squeezing of juice only from the above fruits. But this product is quite easy to operate. In addition, high-quality models of such devices are very durable and have a fairly low price. Such squeezers are considered the most useful, since all vitamins are preserved in their original form. This design is still Soviet, it is quite simple and convenient.
The next type is manual presses, they are not limited to the type of pressed fruit, they outwardly resemble a jack device. To use hydraulic presses do not need a lot of physical strength, their operation is very simple. They work faster than screw devices. The performance of this device will depend only on your efforts and its strength. A simpler device for pneumatic and threaded hand presses.
Juice extractors for apples were popular during Soviet times. They are necessary in order to work out a large number of apples, it is an indispensable thing for spinning and canning of such juice. It can be bought in any market, it has a large construction size, and is also very durable and reliable. Her device also works like a large press with a handle spinning clockwise from the top. Some even make such a device on their own.
A juice extractor press for apples or a screw type squeezer is usually cast iron. This is a very reliable and durable material, but because of its weight, it is not suitable for portable models. Many screw juicers have an aluminum construction, and the inside of the device, namely, the press and the blades are made of stainless steel. Stainless steel is an indispensable material when working with liquids, which is why it is very popular among manufacturers of juicers. The stainless steel is also very durable, so it is perfect for processing berries with seeds and fruit seeds.
The citrus juicer is usually plastic. This material is used for its manufacture, since the device for citrus is usually of a portable type and small in size, therefore it should be light and strong. Pressure elements can also be made of plastic or stainless steel.
The screw juice extractor is arranged as follows: in the center there is a spiral-shaped axis, which turns when turning the outer handle, grinding and pushing fruits or vegetables into the special compartment of this device. There, the pulp under pressure is squeezed through the mesh, and after that the juice is poured into a glass. This juicer works like a slow press, so it can squeeze the juice from any plants and fruits.
Due to this principle of operation, pressed juice does not oxidize, and most of the beneficial substances of fruits and vegetables remain in it. This is achieved due to the rather low speed of rotation of the fruit inside.
How to choose
If you plan to buy a juicer, decide how much juice you plan to squeeze and how many people you expect to make juice. If you have a small family, and you do not have a big harvest of apples and other fruits, give preference to the manual model for citrus. In this case, you'd better get a squeezer for citrus fruits with a cone on top. Although it will not allow you to quickly squeeze the juice, but you can make a small amount of high-quality and natural juice with your own hands.
But there are also disadvantages, because its action is limited by the type of fruit. This model is absolutely not suitable for squeezing juice from pomegranate. The fruit walls contain a substance called tannin, it can make your juice taste bitter and ruin it. That is why for pomegranate you need to purchase a special manual juicer, which at the same time is perfect for squeezing juice from all other fruits, including citrus fruits, an important condition is the juiciness of the fruit squeezed in it. Such a squeezer is more versatile and has a stable structure that securely holds the fruit and the entire device, protecting it from slipping.
If you have a large family or you plan to squeeze a lot of juice, you better get a more professional model with higher productivity. In this case, give preference to a manual juicer with a press. She is more professional and versatile. With it, you can squeeze a lot of juice from any fruit.
The most indispensable for practical hostesses are compact press manual squeezers of juice. They take up very little space and are therefore perfect for installation in a small kitchen. Many of these models have a trendy design, in addition, complete with them provides a measuring cup, which will be indispensable for those who prefer accuracy or prepare a prescription.
For those housewives who want to simplify their lives and do not like to wash a lot of dishes, the best option would be to buy a manual model with a direct juice supply. In this case, the liquid will be poured immediately into your glass as you prepare it. You do not have to soil a large number of other containers.
When purchasing a manual juicer with a press type of spin, give preference to the most durable and reliable cast-iron and steel models. When buying, be sure to find out whether the materials from which the device is made are natural for contact with food. It is best to buy food steel devices. In addition, you need to pay attention to the presence of a casing in the kit, which will not allow the liquid to splash during the push-ups.
The only significant disadvantage of a manual press-type juicer is that for squeezing large and hard vegetables and fruits have to be chopped or chopped in other ways, for example, grate. If you do not want to bother with the fruits, then the most suitable option for you would be to buy a screw type juicer. In this regard, it is more versatile, this model is able to squeeze the juice from almost any whole fruit. The maximum that you have to do is to cut the fruit in half.
Review of the best models and reviews
- Strumok. This is a very budget model, its cost ranges from five hundred to one thousand rubles. It works on the principle of cold pressing, that is, this model auger type. It is made of food steel. Consumers write reviews that this device is capable of squeezing the maximum amount of juice from various fruits. The only disadvantage that users note is that it takes a lot of time to squeeze a large amount of juice, that is, the performance of this device is quite low.
- Borner. These are very convenient hand-type juicers, which can squeeze juice not only from citrus fruits, but also from other fruits, vegetables and berries; consumers even use it to squeeze juice from watermelon and melon. All buyers note the ease of use of this practical kitchen appliance. It is very easy to use, you can get the juice with a few movements, without making special efforts. This model is equipped with a built-in mug, as well as a spout to make it easier to pour the juice into a glass. Borner Juicer can also serve as a hand shaker for cocktails, which is very impressive for consumers.
- Defort. This is a manual Chinese metal juicer that extracts juice from fruits and vegetables with the help of an auger. Consumers indicate that this device is able to get juice from products of all types, even from herbal plants. Buyers agree that the price of this device is very reasonable, and that this design does not require special care. The juice pressed with the help of the Defort juicer has a homogeneous consistency that does not stratify, moreover, because of the low spin speed, the resulting juice does not become sour and retains all the benefits of the fruit.
- Tribest. This is a manual single-screw auger horizontal type. It has a nozzle for chopping fruit. Consumers indicate that this is a reliable and rather heavy juicer, which performs the function of pressing on the principle of a cold press.
- Juicers brands Fackelmann and Tupperware designed to squeeze the liquid from citrus fruits. Buyers note the low price of this device, its ease and ease of use. Many people write that even a child can cope with such a squeezer, it is completely safe. The German juice extractor brand Fackelmann costs only about two hundred rubles, it is made of light plastic and consists of a ribbed nozzle and a container for collecting juice with a spout and handle. For juice, you only need to cut the fruit in half and scroll through the halves on the nozzle.
- Sirman. This is a high-quality manual squeezer for citrus from the Italian manufacturer. This device is quite expensive, but it is very durable and reliable. Buyers note the durability of this design, many regularly use it for more than five years without failures and breakdowns. It is made of aluminum and has a chrome-plated gear rack.