Today it is impossible to imagine a kitchen without this type of household appliances like a refrigerator. It is indispensable in everyday life, and a well-chosen model can be a good addition to the design of an apartment and a kitchen. The choice of refrigerators for the home is wide - they are distinguished by size, useful volume, design, price categories, installation method (built in or installed separately), capacity. In connection with the improvement of the quality of life and population growth, large refrigerators are in demand.
How to choose?
The refrigerator belongs to the class of large household appliances. Most people expect it to last quite a long time. Therefore, it is necessary to approach his choice as responsibly as possible and try to take into account all possible external and internal parameters so that the home ones rejoice both in appearance and in functionality. The main criteria that require attention when choosing a future refrigerator are as follows:
- The size. This is the first thing you need to correctly calculate. A refrigerator should be placed in the kitchen as well as contain everything that is necessary for each family member - these are both products and some types of medicines. There are generally accepted parameters of width, depth and height: 550-750x600-650x850-1000 mm. But it is better to consider the so-called "classes" of refrigerators and choose something among their range. There are 4 such classes:
- Class "A" - These are the smallest of the existing models, which consist of only one chamber, and the freezer compartment is not always present in them. Usually they are bought to give, to work offices, to dormitories, or in addition to the main home refrigerator. Its parameters: 850-1660х550х600 mm (height-width-depth).
- Class "B" - standard models, considered "European" or "American", the most common in the world of refrigerators. Such a unit is already suitable for an apartment with three or four tenants, for a small family. It always has a freezer, which is either at the bottom (then it is a drawer and shelves) or at the top (then it is one shelf + door). Parameters: 1700-2100х600х600 mm.
- Class "C" - "Asian" models. They are distinguished by a smaller height and a greater width, smoothed corners of the body and the upper location of the freezer. Parameters: 1700x800x600 mm.
- Class "D" - large models. They are suitable for large families. Such refrigerators are made in different solutions and can be either standard single-door or with two doors that open with a “little book”. The peculiarity of the two-door models is that they are almost always made to order, so that such a unit will certainly complement the interior of the house.
- Volume This is the next most important parameter in the selection. It is important to know that two types of volumes are indicated on the labels: total (volume of an empty refrigerator) and useful (how much food will fit there). Useful volume is a more significant figure, and basically it ranges from 200-350 liters, and in large two-door ones it reaches 600. It should be noted that the built-in refrigerators are smaller than usual refrigerators.
- Number and location of cameras. The simplest refrigerators have one chamber. The advantage is that this is a budget option, which is considered reliable, and a minus - the freezer compartment will be defrosted periodically. It is better to take models in which the chambers are separated by separate doors - so that they maintain the optimum storage temperature for each type of product.
- Compressors. A compressor is a device that regulates the temperature inside a refrigeration device. Simple refrigerators have one compressor, those that are more expensive - two. The advantages of dual-compressor models are that you can adjust the temperature in only one of the chambers or switch off one independently of the other (which will help you out if you need to wash one of the chambers).
- "No-Frost." This is a system, allowing you not to defrost the refrigerator yourself. Thanks to a well-thought-out scheme of operation of the fan and the heater, the frost is regularly defrosted. This saves time and energy. Be careful - in refrigerators with such a system, the level of humidity is low, so for optimal storage of products they are recommended to be placed in food film, otherwise they will wear out. The air temperature at different elevation levels in the chamber will differ slightly (warmer air flows will circulate at the top, as they are lighter) - this parameter is also important when distributing products in the shelves.
- Control methods. The control can be carried out in two ways - using the remote (electronic) or electromechanically (manually turning the knob on the thermostat).
- Climate class. This is the optimum temperature range for the operation of the refrigerator. There are four groups of optimal temperature regimes for refrigerator operation:
- Normal mode (N) - + 16 ° С - + 32 ° С.
- Subnormal mode (SN) - + 10 ° С - + 32 ° С.
- Subtropical mode (ST) - + 18 ° С - + 38 ° С.
- Tropical mode (T) - + 18 ° С - + 43 ° С.
- Power usage. The energy consumption class is indicated by the Latin letters A, B, C, D, G (from the most economical to the most energy-consuming). To reduce energy consumption, do not install the refrigerator near the heat-producing appliances (stoves, heaters), forget to close the doors and put hot objects in the freezers.
Selecting the above parameters, you can be sure that the functional side of the refrigerator will not fail.
Design is not the last criterion for choosing any item that will be in the house, but such a large one as a refrigerator is especially. It is necessary to take into account both the appearance and the finishing of the internal space.
- Exterior design. At the moment, refrigerators are presented in a wide variety of style solutions - from traditional to designer. Models can be made to order. When choosing colors, you should consider several parameters:
- The refrigerator is bought for a long period of time., therefore, its design should not be too defiant, otherwise it will quickly get bored.
- It must comply with the overall design of the kitchen, harmonize with him.
Experienced people advise to buy a refrigerator in a classic style, as it is in harmony with many interiors and unobtrusive. Over time, you may need to repair the kitchen or move, and it is important that the refrigerator looks organically in the interior of the selected room.
- The internal appearance of the refrigerator is no less important than the external. It includes shelves, which can be of three types:
- Glass solid. These shelves are good because they are high-strength, easy to clean and look beautiful.
- Grid shelves made in plastic or metal version. The main advantage is that they allow air to circulate freely inside the compartments of the refrigerator. In refrigerators with this type of grating there are fixtures with the help of which it is convenient to change the height of the shelves.
Additional small shelves or special compartments for eggs or bottles are often installed in the doors. Illumination of the internal space is due to the light bulbs or light bulbs, which must be positioned so that the intended products minimally cover the lighting.
Pay attention to the additional compartments in the internal space of the refrigerator, which are called the "zone of freshness." They operate on parameters specifically built for storing perishable products. So the purchased products will retain most of the beneficial nutritional properties and vitamins.
A freezer, as it is often called, takes up a smaller volume (compared to the main compartment), but it should also be comfortable. It can be either divided by trellised shelves, or composed of several drawers. In some models on top there is a separate narrow box for freezing ice or other small products.
Recently, “cold accumulators” (containers with non-freezing liquid) have been added to freezers, so that in case of a power outage the optimum temperature can be maintained.
The set of necessary additional options of the refrigerator can differ (depending on the accepted way of life). Most often, the range of functions includes the following additions:
- Fast freezing - indispensable for those who try to lead a healthy lifestyle and strive to use the most fresh products, which are stored nutrients and vitamins.
- Economy Mode - a solution for travelers. It saves energy and maintains a temperature of about 14 degrees inside the chamber, which is optimal for storing medicines and canned foods.
- Antibacterial protection - will not allow to multiply harmful microorganisms and prolong the freshness of the purchased products.
- Preservation of products during a power outage - will not worry about the state of food in case of unexpected light burnout.
- Filter that cleans fluid - provides clean filtered drinking water.
- Self Diagnosis - the device itself determines the causes of its malfunction, which can help save on the call of the repairman.
- Other useful features - ice generator, home bar, air ionizer, odor filter and many others.
The set of opportunities for personalizing a refrigeration device is becoming more widespread every year and is complemented by many useful and convenient little things that simplify the lives of their owners and allow them to take maximum care of food safety. Having carefully studied the range of possible additions, surely everyone will find for themselves irreplaceable help in the household. Remember that for each such option you will have to pay a little extra, so determine how much you can use to purchase a refrigerator, and then select a model with suitable features from the affordable price segment.
After all the parameters of the selection (necessary functions, design outside and inside, the location of the compartments) were taken into account, before buying, pay attention to some nuances:
- Going to go to the store, determine exactly where the refrigerator will be. It should be convenient to approach it, this place should be located at a distance from heating devices, nothing should interfere with the opening and closing of doors. When measuring, take into account that there should be a distance between the wall and the back surface of the refrigerator, as there is a fan that provides air circulation inside the appliance.
- Measure the width and height of the doorway, to be sure that the purchased device will go into it.
- Determine the quality of the plastic from which the inner chamber is made. - this is easy to do by opening the refrigerator and breathing the air that is inside the chamber. It should not give the smell of plastic, which indicates the quality of the materials used in the manufacture.
- Check the usable volume of the selected model and compare with how many people the refrigerator should be sized for. For an average family (mom, dad, one or two children) the optimal volume is about 300 liters, and then it all depends on the capabilities of the kitchen and their own preferences.
- If the kitchen space is small, Look at the models, the handles of which are embedded in the body - this will save you from unnecessary injuries (especially if there are young children in the house).
- Listen to how much the device is buzzing connected to the power source - the noise from the refrigerator should not cause discomfort and be too obvious. Before you buy, ask the seller for instructions and see what the noise level in it is specified - the number should not exceed 53 decibels.
- Some models are equipped with door closers, which help avoid defrosting problems due to an accidentally forgotten door (also suitable for families with children, as the refrigerator doors are sometimes massive enough and it can be difficult for a child to close them).
- If, in addition to buying a refrigerator, there is a complete replacement of the kitchen unit, Pay attention to the built-in models - they are a bit more expensive and smaller in volume, but with them the kitchen will look very stylish.
Following the simple tips presented above, there is no doubt that buying a new large refrigerator will bring undoubted joy and complement the space of the house with a useful and functional model that meets the needs of specific users.
Based on reviews of large home refrigerators purchased by customers, experts selected five of the best models of this type of product.
- Liebherr "SBS 7212"
Liebherr is one of the largest representatives of the market for the production of refrigeration equipment. This model is expensive, but worthy of such a price that corresponds to high quality and fully justifies itself. This is a two-door model with a wide range of additional functions: a sensor in case of a forgotten door, defrosting, quick freezing. The quality is amazing - the boxes move easily, the volumes of the refrigerating and freezing compartments are correctly correlated with each other.
- Liebherr "SBSesf 72124.0"
This model is also a two-door type - it includes almost all large-size refrigerators. The main advantage is the high-quality assembly, as well as silent operation - this is quite enough to catch the fancy of customers, despite the high price ($ 2000).
- Samsung "RSG5FURS4.0"
This single-door refrigerator has long been losing ground in the market, which makes it possible to judge its high quality. The standard work time until the first breakdown or deterioration of work is about 5 years, according to users. It bribes with its functionality - produces little noise, energy efficient, has a built-in ice generator. The volume, of course, will please a large family - 637 liters. The price is high - about $ 1,700.
- Liebherr "SBSes 7165"
This copy is assembled in Germany, which already speaks of high quality. It includes two cooling compressors, three chambers and many additional functions - from fast freezing to the “Frost-Free” technology (which means “not requiring defrosting”). It makes almost no noise. Its only drawback is that even with this quality, the price is too high and ranges from $ 4,550 to $ 4,600, so far not all families can afford it.
- Panasonic "NR-F555TX-N8"
Its volume is slightly less than the previous models mentioned above - if Liebherr offers customers a capacity of 600 liters, the Panasonic brand has released a model for 467. This is not so much - however, if you look at its equipment, the location of cameras and drawers in the doors, you can be sure that it will be enough. It combines spaciousness and small size, quiet operation and quality. It is said that it consumes a little more electricity than the manufacturer claims, but otherwise there is nothing to complain about. It costs about $ 2300 - expensive, but quite standard price for refrigerators in this segment.
Check out models like Panasonic "NR-B591BR-W4", Liebherr "CN 5113", Hotpoint-Ariston "E4D AA B C", Liebherr "CNes 5156" and Liebherr "CP 4613" - You can also read a lot of good reviews about them.
After analyzing this segment of the market of large household appliances, you can come to the conclusion Liebherr is the most sought-after manufacturer. Its advertising is not found on the streets of major cities, even a little is written about them on the Internet, but buyers prefer to take it exactly - this indicates a good balance between quality and built-in functions.
These units are not suitable for everyone at a price, but this cost is fully justified, because the need to repair or replace it often will not be exact. This company has a children's fridge. So, perhaps, when deciding to buy a new refrigerator, you should put aside more money and look after the model of this particular brand.