Making your own kitchen from furniture panels is a relatively simple and inexpensive way to create a beautiful interior. In order to independently make a kitchen set and other furniture, precise drawings, building materials will be required, as well as a design of the kitchen room with the chosen layout.
A kitchen set of furniture panels, assembled with your own hands, will help save money and accommodate all room sizes.
Why are furniture panels popular
Wooden sheets are used to make the kitchen with their own hands, they are also used to create staircase designs or as decorative elements. Furniture shield is made of natural wood, there are two varieties - from a solid array or pressed. For the manufacture of the first version, a whole piece of wood is used, while the second is obtained by gluing several thin layers under the press. Pressed furniture panels are more durable, less prone to deformation from moisture over time.
It looks like pressed furniture shield in section
Furniture panels are durable and easy to handle, they are easy to fasten with nails, screws and other types of fasteners. This material is used to make the kitchen by hand for the following reasons:
- Long service life. Wooden sheets serve for years, without warping or deforming.
- Environmental friendliness. Wood is a natural material, it does not emit harmful substances. Even glued furniture panels are not dangerous to the health of others, because PVA is used for gluing, and not alkyd resins.
- Appearance. The kitchen of furniture panels looks almost indistinguishable from the sets of solid wood.
- Efficiency. Wooden sheets are cheaper than an array, despite the fact that they are classified as economy class, the quality of the material is very high.
- Wide selection. Since the sheets are made in different sizes, you can easily find those that fit your kitchen drawings.
The kitchen with its own hands from furniture panels looks very natural and comfortable, thanks to the wood used
Furniture panels are easy to process, so it will not be difficult to apply carvings, ornaments to the surface of the facades, paint them in any color, etc. The decor options are numerous, up to the stucco molding, various applications, glass inserts.
From furniture panels you can make a functional dining group in the kitchen
Basic wood species
For the manufacture of furniture in the kitchen using dozens of different breeds. Both soft woods (poplar, pine, cherry) and hard (oak, beech, yew) are used. Of soft wood made parts that do not carry a large load - facades, decor, top covers of cabinets. Frames are made of solid wood.
Different types of wood for the kitchen
Features of the most popular wood for the manufacture of furniture in the kitchen with their own hands:
- Pine. Not the strongest breed, but easy to handle with tools. Suitable for creating miniature cabinets, light hanging shelves, as well as furniture fronts.
- Beech. Good durable material, attractive in appearance. Any parts of the headset are made of it, but you should take into account that the beech absorbs water well. Before assembling furniture to the kitchen with your own hands, it must be treated with special water-repellent solutions.
- Oak. One of the hardest and densest tree species, due to which oak furniture has a great weight. Oak is not afraid of moisture, is not subject to rotting, it is a very strong and durable tree. Despite their high hardness, oak leaves are easily processed and take any shape.
Choosing a breed for assembling a kitchen set with your own hands depends on the expected properties, as well as price and household features.
Stylish corner kitchen of furniture panels
What to look for
In addition to the characteristics of wood in the choice of furniture panels should pay attention to the following:
- There should be no knots on the surface;
- Make sure that there are no cracks with layers;
- If annual rings are visible, their arrangement should be uniform.
The surface of the furniture panels must be smooth.
Important! Some building materials stores offer services for the shields for the finished parts.
Cutting furniture panels on the details of the kitchen set
Before you make a kitchen set with your own hands from furniture panels, you must create a drawing of the future kitchen. This may be a three-dimensional model created in a computer program, or an ordinary drawing on paper. What should be considered when creating a kitchen drawing:
- The height of the walls;
- Perimeter, the length of each wall separately;
- The width and height of each window and door opening;
- Detailed schemes of the pipeline, gas pipeline, electrical wiring, heating;
- Location of the ventilation system.
Sample drawing of the kitchen for making their own hands from furniture panels
Also on the drawing is the location of sockets and switches, a place for drawing, etc. For convenience, you can mark the direction of opening doors and sashes. This is an important detail if you intend to put the furniture next to the windows or doorway.
Important! If the plans to increase the kitchen area at the expense of a balcony or living room, you must obtain permission from the BTI.
What should be noted
Regardless of the type of kitchen planning from the furniture panel, there are several areas that must be present on the drawing:
- Worktop for cutting;
- Stove or hob;
- Storage systems;
If the kitchen area is small, then when you think through a furniture set made by yourself, you can combine several zones into one. For example, a tabletop can be divided into two parts - a worker with a sink and a dining room.
How to calculate the kitchen with their own hands
So, all communications are marked on the drawings, as well as sockets and switches. Next, you need to think about the location of furniture and technology. When installing a gas stove, keep in mind that it should not be farther than 2 m from the gas pipe. Refrigerator and sink should be located at least 80 cm from the stove.
When choosing the height of shelves and cabinets for the kitchen, made from furniture panels with your own hands, it is important to take into account the growth of the hostess, as well as take into account all the nuances up to the leading hand. It seems to be little things, but they affect the comfort of work, depends on these parameters:
- Surface height;
- The distance between the lower and upper boxes;
- The location of the door handles;
- Placement of sockets;
- Table top depth;
Also on the drawing all components of the kitchen set, their number and dimensions are indicated. All cabinets, cabinets and shelves are considered separately. This should be given special attention, since the number of finished parts depends on the accuracy of the calculations. The slightest mistake, and collect the kitchen with their own hands will not work.
Choice of layout
When designing drawings for the kitchen with your own hands from furniture panels, you will also need to designate the location of the furniture, that is, choose the most convenient layout option. The choice depends on the size and shape of the room, the frequency of cooking, the number of people in the apartment, etc. In the photo below there are several kitchen options, made with your own hands from furniture panels, with different types of planning.
The easiest option for the kitchen is easily marked on the drawing, fitting into any room. All furniture with appliances are placed along one of the walls, which allows you to allocate a separate space for the dining area. The disadvantage of such a kitchen plan from furniture panels is one - an impractical working triangle, or rather, its absence.
A great kitchen option for furniture panels for small or elongated spaces. A set with household appliances is exposed along adjacent walls. In this case, the sink is often placed in the corner, which allows you to create a convenient working triangle with a stove on one side, and a refrigerator on the other. Corner cabinets and cabinets are more spacious than direct ones, while in the drawing and in reality they look more compact.
This layout is suitable for spacious rooms, such as a kitchen-living room. In this case, three walls are occupied at once - two parallel and one between them. Sometimes the headset is placed only along adjacent walls, and the third side is taken out perpendicularly. Usually it is a bar or countertop. This technique allows you to divide the room into two zones - the kitchen and dining room or kitchen and living room.
Of all types of layouts, this one requires the most space. In the center of the kitchen area are taken out floor cabinets with a table top, in the most difficult versions they are complemented by a sink, stove, hood, mini-bar, etc. The storage systems and the fridge are located along the walls.
Important! When creating a drawing with such a layout, keep in mind that there should be enough space between the island and the rest of the furniture for comfortable movement.
Before assembling cabinets with your own hands from furniture panels, number each part. For convenience, it is better to have them in the same place where ready-made cabinets in the kitchen will stand. The assembly procedure is approximately as follows:
- The finished parts of the furniture board are polished, polished and coated with paint and (or) varnish prior to assembly. If you are doing the kitchen completely and personally, you can put ornaments on the facades using a router, decorate the furniture legs, etc. It is best to carry out similar work in the fresh air.
- First of all, the lower tiers are assembled, starting with the legs of the floor bollards.
- Next, the sides are assembled from the furniture board. If they have retractable elements, you need to make a markup for them and mount the guides. The boxes collected by the hands are inserted into ready grooves. If inside the cabinets are ordinary shelves, corners are installed under them.
- Sidewalls are attached to the bottom of the frame with clamps. Details are fastened with screws. However, proceed carefully when working with a drill so that there are no through holes. The upper part of the cabinets is assembled on the same principle.
- The back panel is not made of furniture panels, but thinner plywood. The part is cut strictly according to the size of the cabinet, if there are sockets or pipes behind it, additional holes are cut under them.
- The latter are fastened facades in the clear. Door hinges are used for installation.
- Installation of metal fittings final stage.
In more detail the assembly of the kitchen with their own hands from furniture panels can be viewed on the video.
How to arrange the finished furniture
It is not enough to assemble lockers and shelves with your own hands, they must be arranged in places in accordance with the kitchen drawings. The assembly procedure is as follows:
- Extreme cabinets are placed first. In this case, the construction level should be used so that all the pedestals stand exactly. Otherwise, there will be difficulties when installing the countertop. All sections are fastened with ties.
- Then put the tabletop and secured with screws. Directly on it a pencil marks the place where there will be a plate with a sink. A hole of the required size is cut under them.
- When the lower tier with the table top is ready, upper cabinets with shelves of furniture panels are hung on the kitchen walls.
- Appliances with a sink installed in the last turn.
After that, it remains only to insert glass or mirror details of the facade, if they were planned. Further, there are only works on decorating the interior of the kitchen.
Assembling a kitchen with your own hands from a furniture bar will not take a lot of time if you have the proper skills. This approach to the kitchen interior will allow you to create an individual design, as well as a set that fully meets all the requirements of the household.