Kitchen sets of solid wood roads, it is not always possible to allow them in the interior of the kitchen, an alternative is to make furniture with your own hands. This can significantly reduce the cost of repairs, as well as independently choose the size, design and color of each furniture item. How to choose a tree and make a headset with your own hands?
Modern technology allows you to create a stylish and cozy kitchen from a wooden array
The advantages of natural wood
Why a wooden headset is valued so highly:
- Environmentally friendly material. Wood has been used in the construction, decoration and manufacture of furniture for thousands of years and even in the 21st century, when many synthetic analogues are available. Wooden furniture does not emit harmful substances and does not cause allergies.
- Appearance. Kitchen set of wood looks attractive, stylish, cozy. The natural neutral color scheme of the tree allows it to be used in almost any style.
- Long service life. Well-chosen wood with proper processing will last for decades. If the furniture is made soundly, it may well preserve its appearance for several generations.
The wooden kitchen brings a touch of luxury to the interior, and the handicraft adds individuality and charm. Beautiful and stylish models of kitchen sets of wood, made by hand, you can look at the photo below.
Wooden kitchens organically look in country houses with wooden furnish
How to choose wood
The choice of material is huge, dozens of breeds are used in furniture production, but not all are suitable for self-fabricating a headset. Wood is divided into two large groups - soft and hard. Soft include conifers (spruce, pine), cherry, poplar. It is not worth making a frame of such a tree; it is intended for decorative elements, shutters and facades. Details, which account for the main load, should be made of solid wood - oak, yew, maple or beech. A bright apple tree, a nut, is also suitable for this task.
Table of colors and textures of various breeds
It is worth considering a number of features when choosing the type of wood for a headset in the kitchen:
- Pine does not have great strength, but it is easily processed. Suitable for the manufacture of light shelves and small wall cabinets.
- Beech is almost as strong as oak and has a beautiful natural color. Suitable for any furniture in the kitchen, but it absorbs water too quickly, so before you do something with your own hands, wood should be treated with water repellents.
- The oak is strong, not subject to rotting and is not afraid of moisture. Despite the fact that it is one of the hardest tree species, oak is easily processed.
In addition to the properties of the breed, it is worth paying attention to the quality of the tree itself. On the surface there should be no knots, cracks, interlayers. If annual rings are visible, they should be uniform and dense.
A light wood kitchen makes the interior easier and more comfortable.
Wood for the manufacture of headsets
To assemble furniture in production or do it yourself, use wood shields, they form the basis of cabinets and pedestals - the body. Shields themselves are divided into two types:
- Solid pieces are made from one piece;
- Pressed are obtained by gluing thin shields under high pressure.
Important! Pressed shields are stronger than solid ones, they are durable and almost not subject to deformation.
You can assemble the kitchen with your own hands using factory components
Any work with your own hands on the kitchen set begins with measurements. This process is not the most difficult, but requires accuracy and patience. It is necessary to decide in advance, the corner set you want or direct. To measure the direct headset, located along one or two parallel walls, you can do with a tape measure. To take measurements under the corner, you need a laser range finder. Regardless of the chosen form of furniture, all measurements are made in three planes - under the ceiling, near the floor (about 15 cm from it) and at chest level.
measurements are best done with a laser range finder
Drawings and details
To make a kitchen set of wood with your own hands, in addition to removing the size, you need an accurate drawing. It can be created in the old-fashioned way with a pencil on paper or designed in a computer program. If the creation of a drawing seems too difficult for you, you can order it from a professional designer. In this case, a wooden kitchen set will be somewhat more expensive, but you can be sure of the correctness of the drawings.
Drawing helps you avoid future mistakes
Note! In order to save, you can order drawings from students of relevant universities.
When the work on the creation of the scheme is completed, you need to make a cutting map. In fact, it is a pattern, only the role of clothes and fabrics is played by headsets and wood. All parts are located on the sheet as compact as possible, making it easy to determine how much material is needed for work. Nuances in working with the cutting map:
- Margins from edges should be 1 cm;
- From each part there should be a margin of 4 mm for cutting;
- If you plan to cut a whole sheet, then indentation of 4 mm is made from the cut line;
- Details need to be positioned so that you can make a through cut.
A cutting map can be built independently, but it is more reliable to use computer programs for this purpose. Examples of cutting sheets to create a kitchen set of wood with your own hands can be seen in the photo below.
Sample Cutting Card
Table, stools and cabinets can be easily constructed independently from ready-made parts. When measurements, drawings and parts of wood are made, you can start assembling furniture for the kitchen with your own hands, as shown in the video.
Table and stools
If the dimensions of the room allow, in addition to the kitchen unit with appliances in the kitchen you can arrange the dining area. For this you will need to assemble a table and wooden stools with your own hands. The assembly process is almost the same. So, how is the process of assembling the table:
- At the base of the table is a rectangular frame made of boards 2x10 cm across. If you wish, you can choose thicker and wider boards, but they look too rough, unless this is implied by the chosen interior style. To bond the boards together, a gear connection is used, although the framework boards can be attached to the legs, in which case the gear connection will not be needed.
- To attach the legs to the frame of wood, you can use screws.
- The last is attached to the tabletop from a single sheet or recruited from narrower parts. To do this, you can take a laminate - thanks to the locking clutch, it allows you to quickly and easily pick up the cover for the table. It is better to choose self-tapping screws for fastening.
Kitchen made of wood brings its own flavor to the interior of the house
When the wood table is assembled, it is possible to fill the gaps so that moisture does not penetrate. When the putty dries, the surface is sanded with sandpaper and varnished. If you wish, you can paint the table in any color suitable for the interior, decorate it with painting, use decorative coatings, etc. The stools are assembled in the same way, but to strengthen the design, the legs are additionally fastened with slats.
Important! In the presence of a lathe, you can give the legs a graceful rounded shape, they will look neater.
Floor cabinets are an important part of a kitchen set - appliances are built in them, various utensils are also stored there. Bedside tables can be a single whole, being under one tabletop, or be independent elements of a headset. The latter option is more convenient if you later want to rearrange the bedside tables - you do not have to remove the tabletop.
How to assemble wood cabinets in a single ensemble:
- The first step is drawing up the drawings and diagrams. At the same stage it is worth deciding on the style of the bedside tables, the number of elements, their purpose.
- Next comes the frame assembly. This is convenient if you plan one massive bollard under the table top with several compartments.
- After the frame is assembled, a parallelepiped is assembled, in which cells are made for further installation of drawers and ordinary compartments with doors.
- Next comes the assembly of the walls and the bottom, you should get one big dresser with compartments, but without a cover and facades.
- The tabletop can be cut from a solid wood shield or assembled from several plates, the principle of fastening it is the same as that of the table top. You can order a ready-made countertop, if you are satisfied with the price. A custom product is fastened not with screws, but with the help of special corners.
- The last installed facades. It is easier to install ready-made purchased products than to assemble them yourself.
If you are going to make several thumbnails of wood, then a tabletop will not be needed. Each element of the headset should be assembled separately in the same way, but instead of one cover, several separate ones are made. The decorative decoration of the facades of the headset is chosen according to the style of the interior and your own preferences.
Unlike floor stands, it is not necessary to use facades for wall-mounted kitchen cabinets, they can be open. This build option is faster and easier. How to assemble wall cabinets made of wood in the kitchen:
- The first is the frame of the required size.
- The finished frame must be sheathed with boards from the sides, top and bottom, there is no need in the wall, the wall acts as a wall. In extreme cases, you can use a thin sheet of plywood. Together with the fastening of the walls and shelves are located.
- If the facade is still planned, it is mounted in the same way as in the manufacture of cabinets.
- The final stage of the assembly of the kitchen cabinet of wood - mounting fasteners.
Important! If the kitchen is in the country, wooden facades can be replaced with cloth curtains.
How a fully assembled kitchen made of wood looks like it can be seen on a selection of photos below.
Kitchen furniture made of wood, made and assembled by themselves, will not be inferior in quality and design to factory models. The main thing is to build the drawings, choose quality materials and use good hardware when assembling.