Many housewives are unhappy with the area of their kitchens. They do not have enough space, light and space for placement of all necessary furniture. You can enlarge the room by combining with another room, for example, a living room. Redevelopment is popular not only among apartment owners, but also among owners of private houses. In their own cottage, in contrast to apartments of multi-storey buildings, there are no restrictions on the arrangement of the interior. Real photos of kitchen design, combined with the living room, in a private house will help to create a dream interior.
Kitchen-living room, equipped according to your own project, will become a favorite place of all households and guests of the house.
Features of combining the living room and kitchen in a private house
In recent years, the dismantling of partitions and the combination of several rooms is gaining popularity. The transformation of a standard layout into a spacious studio is becoming a fashion trend, relevant not only for apartments, but also for private houses. Those who wish to make such a cardinal redevelopment should get acquainted with all its advantages and disadvantages. The design of the kitchen from the living room and dining room in a private house is shown in the photo.
The use of bright colors and the abundance of windows, gives a lot of natural light and space
The advantages of combining space
The advantages of combining kitchen and living room include:
- Getting a large, bright room.
- Creating an original interior design for a private house.
- Convenience of various events: family holidays, get-togethers with friends. The hostess can quickly move from the desktop to the dinner, to be with the guests, to communicate with them during cooking. When the kitchen is a separate room, the hostess has to be alone while cooking or washing dishes.
- Opportunity for adults to cook and look after the children who play in the living room. To study the design of the kitchen-living room in a private house can be in the photo below.
Beautiful modern furniture and practical placement - the key to a harmonious arrangement of the kitchen
Combination of cons
The negative aspects of combining the kitchen and living room include:
- The spread of odors, noise, steam, smoke from the cooking area in the living room, which can create discomfort for guests;
- The need to maintain perfect cleanliness of the work area.
To eliminate these disadvantages, you must:
- Install a powerful hood over the hob. The interior design of the kitchen-living room in a private house with a stylish hood can be seen in the photo.
- Purchase furniture from practical materials that are easy to clean.
A modern, powerful hood not only copes with unpleasant odors, but can also become an integral part of stylish kitchen decor.
What should be considered when designing a kitchen-living room
When developing a kitchen-living room interior design a number of factors should be taken into account:
- The budget allocated for repairs. From this depends largely on the choice of style. So for the classics it will be necessary to purchase expensive pieces of furniture from natural wood. Most modern styles save on this.
- The shape and area of the room. The quantity and colors of the furniture being installed depend on this.
- Quantity, location of windows and doors. Based on these data, plan the location of furniture, lamps, develop colors.
- The location of the room relative to other rooms. The kitchen-living room can have a balcony, loggia, veranda or terrace. It is necessary to arrange the interior elements in such a way as to organize a free passage from one door to another. The interior of the entrance to the kitchen-living room in a private house is shown in the photo.
It is important to properly arrange all the furniture so that the kitchen becomes not only comfortable, but also functional.
There are many ways to divide a room into zones. The choice of a space divider is carried out on the basis of the interior design, the size of the room, the height of the ceilings, and the own preferences of the owners. Different types of zoning can be combined. Photo of the design of the kitchen-living room with different zoning options in a private house can be seen below.
You can separate the working area from the dining area simply by using furniture
Architectural structures that can serve as visual space dividers include:
- Archway This design can become not only the border of two zones, but also an attractive element that complements the chosen interior style. So the arches of elegant rounded shape are typical for classic designs, more square for modern ones. The owner of the house can order a ready arch from plaster or make it with own hands from gypsum cardboard.
- Columns. Most often used in classic designs. Such designs visually raise ceilings, look expensive, aristocratic.
- Pedestals and ceiling beams. They look natural, original, a little rough, but cozy. They will harmoniously fit into the styles of Provence, Country, Loft. The interior of the living room, combined with a kitchen, in a loft style in a private house can be seen below.
The column perfectly copes with the zoning of the kitchen area from the recreation area in the living room combined with the kitchen
Architectural elements of zoning occupy little space, allow air and light, help to highlight the interior, give it its character.
Zoning in the private house of the kitchen-living room using the arch
Multi-level floor and ceiling
One of the most common ways of visual zoning is the creation of multi-level ceiling structures. They should be used only in homes with high ceilings. Usually the ceiling above the kitchen is made lower than above the living room. Suspended ceiling design can be rectangular, rounded, wavy, any other shape.
Multi-level pedestal perfectly copes with the separation of the kitchen from the recreation area.
Additionally, you can select one of the zones by painting part of the ceiling in a different color. For example, the ceiling above the kitchen can be monochromatic white, and above the living room it can be bright red.
Tip! The part of the ceiling, lined with wooden panels, clapboard or MDF boards under the tree will look impressive.
Wooden ceiling beams in the kitchen combined with the living room in a private house
To select one of the zones, you can use a multi-level floor. Usually the floor is raised in the area of the working area. Such a podium can perform not only a decorative function. It can be embedded boxes for storing various items or a spectacular lighting. The main disadvantage of the podium is the risk of tripping over the podium to an inattentive family member or guest. The interior of the kitchen combined with the living room with a podium in a country house can be seen in the photo.
For the kitchen, it is recommended to put on the floor a practical finishing material: tile, porcelain stoneware, linoleum or high-class laminate. Each of these materials is characterized by resistance to mechanical damage, abrasion, moisture.
For the living room you can choose an impractical, but beautiful and cozy floor material: carpet or parquet.
Flooring must be combined with each other. If they are different, they must be the same color. Around the perimeter of the room you can put one material, but a little different in shade. The design and interior of the kitchen combined with the living room with a laminate in a private house can be seen in the photo.
This piece of furniture looks stylish and modern. Usually the bar counter is built into the wall or headsets. It can be used for short meals and gatherings with friends. This decision is important for young families.
In a small kitchen-living room, a compact bar counter will replace a large dining table. Its size is sufficient for dinners by a small family.
The bar counter can be made from a part of a dismantled partition between two rooms, or it can be detached. Under the tabletop you can build a bar or mini-fridge, hang wine glasses over it, and place high bar stools around it. Kitchen design with a living room with a bar in a private house can be seen in the photo.
In the kitchen, the walls are exposed to steam, moisture, grease splash, therefore, it is recommended to use materials such as ceramic tiles, paint or washable wallpaper to decorate the walls. They are not afraid of high humidity. The walls of the living room can be completely different from the walls of the kitchen or be decorated with the same material. For the design of the two zones, you can choose different colors, for example, for the kitchen - a light beige range, and for the living room - dark brown.
Tip! In order for both zones to create a single designer composition together, bright accents of the same color should be placed throughout the room, for example, yellow curtains, cushions and a tablecloth.
In the process of designing a kitchen-living room, the layout of furniture is usually started with a headset.
You can choose one of the following working group arrangements:
- Straightforward. The kitchen wall of a direct form is suitable for any rooms. All its elements are installed in a row along one of the walls. The layout of the kitchen and living room in a private house with a direct suite can be seen in the photo.
- Angular. Headset modules occupy an angle and space along two adjacent walls. This layout is more suitable for rooms with a small area, as the corner set occupies minimum space. In the corner they usually put a sink. The approach to the corner element of the headset is not always convenient for the hostess, therefore such a layout is rarely chosen for spacious kitchens and living rooms.
- Island or peninsular. This type of layout is often used in private homes. It is suitable for large rooms. All appliances, wall and floor cabinets are placed along the wall, and the working surface - in the center of the room. If the layout of the island type, the desktop is a separate object, and if the peninsular, then it is built into the wall or headsets. To save space, the work surface can perform the function of a dining table.
The dining group is located close to the work area so that you can quickly move dishes and clean dirty dishes. In the photo you can see the layout of the kitchen with living room and dining room in a private house. There are several main options for the location of the dining room:
- In the corner. Usually the lunch group is placed at the window. The corner element can make a soft kitchen corner.
- Along the wall. Dining furniture is located opposite the headset.
- In the center. The dining room serves as a space divider and is often installed on a small podium. The layout of the kitchen from the living room and dining area on the podium in a private house can be seen in the photo.
If the room is small, in the recreation area put only a sofa, coffee table and a compact cabinet or cabinet. The sofa is placed along the wall. On the wall opposite the TV should hang.
Tip! TV should be attached to the wall with a swivel bracket. Then the image on it will be visible from the work area.
If the room is large, then you can additionally put chairs, ottomans, another coffee table and other items. Upholstered furniture can be placed in the center of the room. The sofa, installed in the middle, will be an excellent separator of the kitchen and living room. Photo plan of the kitchen with living room in a private house can be seen below.
When choosing an interior style, you must be guided by the requirements for comfort and your own sense of beauty.
Creating the interior of the kitchen-living room in a traditional classic design, you have to spend a lot of financial resources. Natural materials, usually parquet or marble, are used to finish the floor. Furniture is made of natural wood of valuable species. It should be massive, reliable, decorated with curlicues, carved and gilded elements. Modern technology should not stand out against the background of antique furniture. The aristocratic interior of the kitchen and living room together in a private house is shown in the photo.
Classic ceiling is a perfectly smooth surface of white or milky color. It is decorated with stucco and a large luxurious chandelier. For walls use panels from a tree, the Venetian plaster, wall-paper with a vegetative ornament.
Mandatory part of the interior of a classic living room - fireplace. It can be installed in the living room or on the border of two zones. You can divide the space with the help of columns or arches. If the room is long and divided into zones along the length, then you can install several columns or even several arches.
When implementing a high-tech interior project, you should take care of acquiring the most advanced home appliances. Electronics do not need to hide. Its metal surfaces will perfectly harmonize with the glossy facades of the headset. For the walls, floor and ceiling are selected modern practical materials of a single color. The main colors of the style: white, gray, black, metallic. Elements of bright colors will help to dilute the neutral gamut. To make bright accents, you should choose one color: red, purple, green, blue. In this color, you can pick up only small items, such as lamps, vases and sofa cushions, or headsets. The design of the combined kitchen and living room in a country house is shown in the photo.
In the high-tech style there should be a lot of lighting devices: built-in spotlights and LED strips. Highlighting can be pictures, cabinets, headsets.
Rustic style is associated with comfort and convenience. That it is ideal for private homes. It uses simple wooden furniture, which may look a little rough. Chairs, table, set, sofa frame are made of wood. The doors of the headset are decorated with carvings and grids. Open shelves are welcome. The color scheme of the interior - all shades of brown. A simple and convenient design of the kitchen, combined with the living room, in a private house can be viewed on the photo.
In the process of design of the kitchen-living room in the style of country should not adhere to symmetry. All elements of the interior can be randomly placed around the room. Sofa, table, chairs should be low and comfortable. For them it is worth picking up capes. Wicker furniture is suitable for such an interior.
In a private house, you can implement any type of planning. Combining the kitchen and living room will create a comfortable and functional room, filled with air and light. The choice of a certain style and competent zoning of the space will help to create a harmonious interior.