Island hood for the kitchen
Island kitchen hood is a modern and stylish solution. Its unusual, futuristic design catches the eye and becomes the center of the workspace. As a rule, the island hood is not located near the wall, but is located in the center of the kitchen, it can be shifted, but always detached, which is why it received such a name. Like other types of hoods, its installation is performed strictly above the cooking surface.
If the kitchen is spacious, and the area allows you to experiment, creating a unique design, experts advise to put a hob in the island, for example, it may be the central part of the kitchen. Island hood is a fashionable and original solution that allows you to move the cooking zone to the center of the room. Suitable island hoods for rooms of more than 20 sq. M. Located in the island stove, oven, work surface, sink. If all the main elements of the working area together, you must separately bring water and sewer.
The island has built-in appliances, a freezer, a microwave, and an essential element - an island hood. This kitchen structure is not mounted to the wall, but to the ceiling and is far from the walls. The location for the hood is chosen taking into account the working area. The main feature of the design - the way of fasteners. The hood is fixed on the ceiling surface. It should not be tensioned and suspended, since the weight of the island unit is more than 30 kilograms.
Most often, an island hood is sold unassembled: a housing, a mounting platform, and additional fasteners. The case with the engine can be suspended on cables or studs. Some models have a floating suspension with height adjustment (they are more expensive). Almost all island hoods are endowed with two modes of operation: they remove the air from the room through the duct and suck in the air, clean it with filters and return it to the room.
The shape of the body hoods may be different. The most popular models have a T-shaped case, made in the form of a dome, square, rectangle, cylinder. Original and unusual looks round island hood.
How to choose
Island hoods are expensive designs, so you need to choose the model carefully, taking into account the basic parameters. The first thing you notice is the design and type of exhaust (recirculation or discharge). Ventilation is needed for a bypass, recirculation is powered by carbon filters and can be installed with your own hands. Recycling hood costs more and requires timely replacement of filters.
Choosing the hood, evaluate its performance. From this criterion depends on the purity of the air. If the kitchen is 15 sq.m., it is appropriate to install a hood of 650 cubic meters per hour in such a room. In large rooms it is better to install hoods of 800 cubic meters per hour. The noise level of the exhaust is important. Remember that the higher the performance, the higher the noise level.
Well, if the hood will be equipped with additional features such as lighting. It can be LED or halogen. If the room is large and the ceiling is high, buy an island hood with a remote control. For compact kitchens fit models with a display or buttons.
Buying an island hood, pay attention to its appearance. From the design of the design depends on how the interior of the kitchen as a whole will look. Thanks to modern technology, today you can purchase an island hood of any material, any shape, color. It looks interesting combination of several forms and textures in one model. If the interior of the kitchen is made in a classic style, give preference to a classic-style hood.
If the kitchen is made in retro or vintage style, pay attention to the exhaust-pipe, oval-shaped designs. The best material for such an interior is metal. Before buying, it is advisable to pre-select the desired model, design and manufacturer.
How to install
If the island exhaust is of recirculation type, you can install it yourself. It is only necessary to follow the recommendations of experts and follow the safety rules. The very first step of installing an island hood is power supply. After that, you should prepare a place for the structure, drill holes for the fasteners, install and fix the hood. The installation of the diverter assumes the presence of a ventilation duct. It is better to entrust the installation of this type of construction to professionals.
Proper installation of island hood is done in stages.
- To begin, select the location of the stove and kitchen island. A hood will be placed above the hob.
- Drill holes in the ceiling. Their dimensions should correspond to the fasteners.
- Plug the power cable into the cable channel.
- Move the duct to the installation site. The closer the ventilation shaft, the better.
- Install the platform on the ceiling.
- Attach the parts to the platform that will hold the case.
- The height from the stove to the hood must be at least 65 centimeters.
- Check the horizontal level. The hood must hang evenly.
- Connect the air duct and power cable.
After installation, check the operation of the island hood.
Advantages and disadvantages
Ceiling island hood differs from standard design features, appearance, method of attachment and price. Plus island hood is that for its production using modern materials, so these models fit perfectly into any interior. Some models can be independently adjusted in height.
- The main advantage of the island construction is the possibility of mounting anywhere in the kitchen, but above the hob.
- Large selection of interesting models. They can be made of glass, metal or ceramics.
- Island hoods are functional. They have additional features (electronic control, power adjustment, altitude, timer, lights, and more).
- High performance (air purification not only in the kitchen, but also in other rooms).
Island hoods also have minor drawbacks. Due to the fact that they have large sizes, hoods have a high noise level. Powerful motor can not work quietly. Island hoods are expensive. The average price of the construction is in the range of forty to two hundred thousand rubles.
The hood is mounted only on the main ceiling! Installing an island structure on the hinged is a costly and unsafe process. If you install it on a hinged structure, you must disassemble the ceiling during installation.
Beautiful modern kitchen hood looks stylish and is the subject of the interior. The island model is different from the usual one, which combines different styles and trends, materials and forms. It can be round, oval, resemble futuristic elements. Popular manufacturers are doing everything to interest the buyer interesting and unusual novelty.
- Falmec. One of the leaders in the production of island extracts in Italy. The technical equipment of island hoods is innovative, and the sophisticated design of structures perfectly fits into the high-tech interior. Basically, stainless steel is used to create island hoods. The surface of the construction is protected by special spraying, which prevents the appearance of greasy marks and fingerprints.
- Faber. Island hoods of this brand are notable for their exclusive design, they were designed to combine comfort and beautiful appearance in one functional device. Clear lines, the uniqueness of the mechanism, high performance using such an island hood cooking cooking becomes a simple and exciting process. Hoods "Faber" are of high quality and ease of use. With additional features, the design is easy to use.
- GATA ISLA Gamma / b. A wide model of island hood (900 mm), the production of which uses stainless steel. The design is designed for large kitchen spaces: its capacity is 990 cubic meters / h. Despite the powerful motor, the hood runs quietly. The model can be mounted as a recirculation or diversion structure. Among the useful features: built-in halogen lighting, electronic control, automatic shutdown, four filters.
- Siemens LG 95950. Island hood with a minimalist appearance, a strict and concise design. It consists of straight clear lines and simple shapes. Great for high-tech interior design. The model is made of durable stainless steel. Its high performance is enough to clean large rooms (800 cubic meters / m). Hood of this brand can be a diversion and recirculation. Plus the design is that it is endowed with halogen lighting and has four modes of operation.
- Elica Gasmine Pearl f / 50. The hood has a stylish and original design of the body, resembling a truncated cone. Beautiful decorative ornament on top adds a highlight to the model. The width of the hood is fifty centimeters, the capacity is 600 cubic meters / h. Therefore, the model fits perfectly into a medium-sized kitchen. The model has electronic control, built-in halogen lamps, three speed modes.
- Smeg. Refined and stylish models of island hoods from the Smeg brand add to the attractiveness of the kitchen and create a modern accent. For the production of island models, the manufacturer uses stainless steel, glass, enamel, brass. The model from the Cortina KCI19AOE series has an aesthetic design, made of anthracite. Included are brass side rails, three speeds, three filters, 754 cubic meters per hour.
Owners of spacious kitchens, designers strongly recommend to pay attention to the island hoods. They create a stylish and modern accent in the interior, turning the kitchen into the center of a cozy and functional home.