How to use a double boiler
At the moment, proper nutrition is becoming more and more popular. It is based on the moderate consumption of fats and the rejection of fried foods. And here the double boiler will be an indispensable assistant in the kitchen. With it, you can cook delicious dishes, while reducing the amount of consumed fat and salt.
In addition, this product will help to preserve vitamins and other minerals and trace elements contained in products.
Device and principle of operation
The principle of operation of any steam cooker, regardless of whether it works on electricity or is installed on the stove, is as follows: the bowl is filled with water, which is brought to a boil. A grill is placed above the boiling liquid on which the products are placed. The entire device is sealed with a lid. Water boils, evaporates, thereby with the help of steam the products are heated and prepared.
Thus, the food does not directly touch water. There is no leaching of nutrients from it, including salts. Food saves the maximum benefit. It can even not be salted, as the products initially contain salt.
Steamer, as a device, has many varieties. It happens:
- for cooking on the stove;
- for microwave;
- built-in multicooker.
A steamer for cooking on the stove, whether it is an electric or gas hob, is a pan with a perforated insert. Water is poured into the lower compartment, food is placed on the upper insert. Everything is tightly closed with a lid and put on a slow fire. The most common device of this type in our country, which came from Soviet times, is a mantovark.
Now on sale there are special inserts that allow you to turn an ordinary pan into a double boiler. They are very popular, made of bamboo, and are a box with a lid, the bottom is made of sticks, installed at short intervals. Bamboo insert environmentally friendly products, which further helps to preserve the nutrients in the product. This double boiler is allowed to install in several layers.
Since natural wood retains heat well, the temperature in the lower and upper bowls will differ slightly.
One more model of an insert double boiler for a usual pan - metal folding. The shape of its parts resembles a petal, and it folds like a flower. It has a comfortable handle, for which it is easy to remove it from the pan. Good for cooking vegetables.
Such an insert is not only iron, but also silicone.
Some models of multicookers have a plastic steamer insert, which is mounted at the top of the main bowl, and cooking is carried out on it.
Electric steamers are both stand-alone appliances (this type is widely distributed), and in the form of embedded equipment. The second type is quite expensive, it has a steam generator that pumps the required temperature for cooking. Such a device is directly connected to the water supply and drainage system. It has a reservoir for condensate accumulation. In such a double boiler you can not only prepare food, but also defrost it, exposing the required temperature inside the chamber. This device bears in itself all the functions of premium-class equipment, namely, saving resources, leakage protection and others.
Separately steamers are several levels, but the most common two-level device. This type of technology will be quite enough for an average family. You can cook various kinds of food in it, starting with meat and ending with vegetables.
For microwave, there are also special devices that allow steam cooking. Usually they are a plastic container with a perforated insert and a lid. It is made of special polyethylene, which is not afraid of microwave exposure.
Use of double boiler
- Using different steamers on the stove, everything is simple and clear: pour water into the tank, put products on the perforated insert, leave a distance for steam penetration, cover and place on the stove for the required type of product.
- If you have an electric steamer, You should start using it with a careful reading of the instructions, as in principle, and for any appliance.
- Use the device on a flat surface., away from hanging drawers and walls, as steam coming out of the lid can damage your furniture.
- Before switching on it is necessary to fill the tank with water., so that its quantity does not exceed the maximum mark, but at the same time was not less than the minimum. Although most modern models are equipped with an automatic shut-off when the entire liquid evaporates.
- If your steamer has several levels, then the products must be positioned there correctly.
- Meat is usually placed on the lower tier., fish and those foods that require more cooking time.
- Along the edges of the bowl, food is also prepared faster., than in the middle.
- Cooking various foods in a double boiler, It is worth paying attention to the combination of tastes and smells. Especially it concerns those models of double boilers where there are no separate pallets for each level. In such devices, the juice from the products from the upper level will flow to the lower tiers.
- Using this device will come tightly into your life. Cook in this device you can almost everything. This and various kinds of cereals, vegetables for food and for salads, meat in one piece or in the form of various cutlets and souffles, fish, seafood, dumplings, omelets and much more. For cooking in a steamer fine or very fluid food, such as porridge, omelette, cottage cheese, usually the devices are equipped with a special compartment with fine perforation.
But not all products are suitable for steaming.
Do not use a double boiler for cooking pasta, the output will be stuck together mass. Also, do not put mushrooms in it. Another product that is completely unsuitable for steaming is legumes. This is due to the fact that this food takes considerable time to prepare.
But since the boiler is electric, and produces steam, you should follow the rules for using this device.
- The equipment should be positioned so that its cord does not interfere, and you do not touch it.
- Do not use the device near water, and in case of violation of the integrity of the power cord.
- Do not install a double boiler on the edge of the table, your awkward movement, or children running past can push it.
- Do not touch the appliance until cooking is finished. Remove the cover only after the complete cycle. Otherwise, steam may burn your hands.
- Do not bend over the cup to smell. Thus, it is possible to get a burn not only the face, but also the larynx.
- When using a double boiler, it is worth using purified water without any impurities, since the resulting bloom can spoil the heating element.
- Remember that usually the maximum fill in the water tank is enough for a maximum of 45 minutes, so do not forget to add water if necessary. This is especially important if the boiler does not have protection against overheating.
- Before cleaning the device, it is necessary to disconnect it from the electrical outlet.
After each use, all the bowls of the appliance should be well washed in a soapy solution and rinsed with water. It is not recommended to use cleaning products with abrasive particles. They can scratch the bowl, thereby spoiling the appearance of technology.
It is also necessary to periodically remove lime deposits from the heating element. To do this, pour the water to the minimum mark and pour 1 tablespoon of citric acid, boil for about 15 minutes. Rinse everything well. The frequency of this procedure depends on the intensity of use of the device.
If this technique is used daily, then this procedure is recommended to be carried out once a week.
Review of the best models
The home appliance market provides a wide selection of steamers of various manufacturers. Here are the best ones.
Zepter - Steamers for cooking on the stove. Excellent quality products of this manufacturer has been known for many years. Steamer here is no exception. They are presented in different volumes. But their cost is quite high. One insert costs about 7,000 rubles.
"Taste and Benefit" steamer for cooking in the microwave oven. It has two levels, is made of high-quality food-grade plastic, is easy to clean, the price is about 600 rubles.
Vitek. In the range of this manufacturer, you can choose a model according to your needs. It can be a two or three tier unit, with overheat protection, electronically controlled, with an accelerated start function and many other advanced features. The price of these devices varies from 2500 to 5000 rubles.
Scarlett. The products of this company are in great demand in the domestic market. This is due to the excellent combination of price - quality. A wide variety of models will not leave anyone indifferent. And the price is very democratic, and ranges from 2000 rubles.
Moulinex. The quality of the devices of this company has also long been loved by our customers. All the innovations this manufacturer uses on its technology, in addition, the modern appearance and ergonomics of Mulinex steam boilers makes them very popular. The cost of devices from 1500 to 3000 rubles.
Elenberg. Steamers of this manufacturer are also presented in several models, with two or three levels. Price from 800 to 1300 rubles.
Unit. This company has been present on the Russian market since 1993, and since then has been quite popular. This double boiler will be an indispensable tool in the kitchen. Its price is 1000 to 2000 rubles.
Many users of this device come to the conclusion that the double boiler is an indispensable assistant in the kitchen. In it you can cook a wide variety of dishes, while not standing at the stove. In addition, this device retains maximum benefit in cooked food.
Virtually every family has a steam cooker in one or another modification. And increasingly, people begin to cook in it, moving to a healthier meal. And even if you are not a fan of steamed food, it will be useful even for cooking dumplings and cereals.