How to hang kitchen cabinets on the wall
Many people after buying kitchen cabinets often wonder about their proper installation and hanging on the wall. After all, it is not so easy as it might seem at first glance.
Modern homes are built from a variety of materials.
And each material in its own way is able to withstand this or that weight.
It is also necessary to take into account that many types of wall cabinets and sections are included in the kitchen set.
Simple cabinets are installed on the floor, and wall cabinets require more attention to themselves, since during installation they require much more effort.
To achieve a proportional appearance and functional ability of all elements, when installing kitchen cabinets you need to accurately calculate everything and act carefully.
- Kitchen cabinets should fit organically into the geometry of the entire kitchen and not interfere with the ventilation system already installed or planned for installation.
- It is necessary to choose the height of the lockers correctly so that even the upper shelves can be reached without any problems.
For the correct selection of the mounting height, you can use the formula: owner's height + 10 cm.
So, for a person with a height of 180 centimeters, it would be desirable to arrange the attachments at a height of 190 centimeters from the floor level.
At the same time, we must not forget that kitchen cabinets should be located exactly, that is, strictly parallel to the level of floor-mounted kitchen cabinets in the kitchen.
Rules of performance
There are a number of rules and GOSTs for the placement of kitchen furniture.
- Before installing cabinets you need to make sure that you have completed electrical installation or finishing work (if any)
- At the place where you plan to install hinged kitchen sets, it is necessary to align the walls. This can be done in two ways: using dry mixes (plaster, putty) and using drywall sheets. The finished surface should be perfectly flat.
- Before drilling the wall, you need to identify the absence (or presence) of hidden electrical wiring.
- When drilling the wall may begin to crumble. To avoid this, we first work with a thinner drill, the hole from which can later be enlarged.
Required materials and tools
It is necessary to treat the choice of materials for fastening with complete seriousness. After all, it will depend on the fasteners all the reliability of the design and directly, your safety.
There are many different types of mounts.
Quite often use screws and set the cabinets on the bar. In order to help you with your choice, I will give a couple of examples of the main and most frequently used ones:
- The most popular are galvanized screws screwed in anchors with a size of 8x80 mm. You can find them on the shelves of building stores, where they are sold immediately in pairs. This means that they do not have to be customized.
- It is very simple and convenient to hang several kitchen cabinets with mounting rails that have adjustable suspensions.
This device will allow not only to join the lockers tightly, but also distribute the load on the wall, which makes it possible to use them on thin and uneven walls.
- Looks good option with the use of hooks screwed into the dowels. This allows you to use almost any screw heads, without selecting them specifically for the parameters of the loop.
As soon as we have decided on the required height, with the type of fixtures and purchased all the necessary materials, the next stage begins - the installation of kitchen cabinets on the wall. The walls can be made of plasterboard, foam blocks, aerated concrete, or even wood. Plasterboard wall can be found as bearing partitions. Often there are brick walls with high reliability and refractory qualities.
A couple of methods for hanging cabinets:
If you decide to use hinges and other fasteners:
- It is necessary to determine the zone where you are going to hang the cabinet and draw horizontal lines along the whole future structure.
- Recheck the accuracy of the drawn line using the water level.
- If the line is flat, then we mark the first point for drilling with a drill or punch.
- Now you need to fix fasteners on the wall.
- We hang the cabinet to the fixture, align it with a water level, make labels. After that you need to remove the cabinet and note the following attachment points.
- When everything is noted, hang up the cabinet and re-check the coincidence of its upper edge with the marked line.
- If there are several cabinets, we place them on the same level and connect them together with screws.
- Using screws, you need to attach a decorative cornice.
- It is necessary to hang the facades, awnings, check the operation of the doors, install shelves. To eliminate minor defects, you can use a false panel or tongue-and-groove slabs.
Please note that the profile of the lower cabinets should be parallel to the cabinets hinged.
A simpler way is to use mounting rails.
You can use one of the two methods below when mounting the slats:
- We put hardboard into the holes in the cabinet walls, deepening it a little inwards. This is necessary in order not to attach to the kitchen apron and very tightly press the cabinet against the wall.
- Hardboard nails to the back of the cabinet. It should be borne in mind that when hanging with a rack, the wardrobe will not fit snugly to the wall and its lower part will slightly go out onto the kitchen apron.
Functional arrangement from the inside
Once you have figured out the installation, you will need to clean up the kitchen. Some people mistakenly believe that wall cabinets are almost the same as the bottom line of the kitchen. Although the case materials are the same, they perform different functions. Therefore, the wall cabinets have completely different possibilities for arranging the interior space compared to the floor cabinets.
If you place a wall cabinet above the sink, it will be very convenient to use it for storing mugs, dishes and cutlery. In the same cabinet, you can fold glass and plastic containers for food. On one of the shelves it would be nice to look for a dishwasher dryer, which allows drops of water to drain from the plates.
For convenience, you should put a few baskets that are needed to store spices, yeast, gelatin. Coffee, tea, cocoa and other beverages can be collected in one place, and next to them put a variety of sweets. It is very convenient to store honey, vegetable oil and cans of syrup in a closet.
In order not to mess around each time with packages, you can buy plastic containers. It is very convenient to store cereals in them.
If everything is clear with the interior arrangement of the cabinets, then you should pay special attention to the door opening system. Hinged doors, albeit budget, but not the best choice. The best alternative in this case are the doors that open upward. Thanks to a special fitting - gas lift - the door can be locked in a raised position, and it returns to its original state smoothly and without characteristic cotton.
The most important thing is to choose all the most necessary items for the kitchen and think over the competent arrangement of all the fillers. And the correct disposal of space allows you to facilitate and rationalize the life of the modern hostess.
Interesting solutions in interior design
It is important to consider in advance the color of the kitchen unit. In many ways, thanks to him, your mood develops during your stay in the kitchen. Warm colors are able to awaken the appetite (orange, red and yellow), and cold - on the contrary, suppress the appetite (blue, gray). It is very important to include light colors in the design of a small kitchen - pink, lemon, cream, which will add light to the room and visually increase it slightly.
In a small kitchen, every centimeter is important, and it is extremely annoying to give a large part of the wall under the hood. However, there is a special cabinet that is able to close the exhaust duct.
Usually in furniture stores they sell, although functional, but not always beautiful models of wall cabinets. What cabinets to choose if you have not yet decided on the design? First, do not listen to the opinions of others, whether they are relatives, friends, or other "counselors." Choose the headset that you like.
In large building stores, the problem of a meager assortment is still relevant. The best solution would be to order kitchen furniture from a good master. Buy a ready-made set of furniture even easier, but certainly not better.
It should be noted that the advantage of furniture sets is significant savings. Construction stores always offer a choice among hundreds of types of kitchen cabinets of economy class. For a small amount you can buy not only ready-made sets, but also individual pieces of furniture.
A wardrobe that allows you to hide kitchen utensils will also be a good acquisition. This design must be installed so that it is not too high or low.
Buying a corner locker will make the room much more functional. This is very important for small kitchens. Models of the angular type come in various modifications. It should be borne in mind that the upper and lower cabinets should be perfectly combined with each other. There are corner cabinets with a rotating mechanism. They significantly improve the functionality of the kitchen and increase the overall level of ergonomics.
The corner in the kitchen is not necessary to give under the cabinet - it can be used as a convenient place to install a TV. Also in the corner you can put a wardrobe with open shelves, by placing a photo, figurines or souvenirs on it, adding to the comfort of the kitchen.
Sometimes you can find a solid corner cabinet (floor to ceiling). It is extremely bulky and not very convenient to use. It is much better to install a separate floor and wall closet.
It is also not recommended to use different threads and patterns on the facades.
Although they look very beautiful and rich, decorative ornaments make it very difficult to care for furniture, accumulating fat and dust, and require additional cleaning.