How to choose a blender
- Types and features
- Nozzles and Functions
- What to look for
Find a good and high-quality electrical appliance that will grind food, prepare emulsion, mashed potatoes, beat drinks, mousses is quite simple. There are special selection criteria that will help you choose the perfect kitchen appliance. Blender is a cross between a food processor and a mixer. It is equipped with chopping knives and the ability to mix products.
Types and features
Many housewives consider the functions with which a food processor is superfluous. Less powerful and functional, but easier to maintain and compact kitchen appliances for the home - blenders come to the rescue. They will allow you to chop, beat or mix small amounts of different products - from green to ice. Plus the fact that they do not take up much space in the kitchen.
In order to choose the right kitchen appliance, it is important to find the differences between the models on the market. Modern blenders are divided into two large groups: submersible and stationary. If with the help of the first one it is possible to grind raw or boiled vegetables, then the second ones are intended for the preparation of liquid dishes: mashed soups, smoothies, cocktails. A blender differs in parameters from a food processor, but its purpose is fully consistent with the needs of modern man. When choosing the perfect device, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Electric power. The blender has an electric motor that drives the working nozzles. The power of the device determines the speed and efficiency of its work. Powerful device allows you to quickly grind or mix products. Many modern manufacturers produce blenders with a capacity of 100 to 800 watts. Given the ratio of opportunities and prices, experts recommend choosing devices from 500 watts.
- Number of speeds. From the speed of rotation of the working nozzle depends on the time of these or other operations. In addition, for the processing of different products may also require the use of different speeds. In modern blenders provided from 2 to 15-16 speeds. Remember, the more speeds, the better.
Many devices have a turbo mode: it allows you to increase the speed of work for a short period of time.
- Volume and material of the bowl. These characteristics are important for a stationary blender. The amount of processed products depends on the volume of the bowl. The volume can be from 0.5 to 2 liters. It is better to choose a larger bowl (1.5 liters ideal). Bowls can be made of plastic or glass. The glass bowl is less resistant to external damage, it is in good contact with food.
Experts recommend choosing models of blenders with glass bowls or from high-quality plastic.
- The number of nozzles. The scope of the device depends on the number of nozzles. The main nozzle of a kitchen appliance is a chopper, except for it in blenders there may be a whisk nozzle, a hook nozzle for kneading dough and others. The more nozzles in the kit - the better.
Blender manufacturers can produce models with different configurations, so check the availability of the nozzles better on their own.
- Extra options. When buying a home appliance you need to pay attention to the additional parameters. These include: the presence of an automatic lock. Automatic locking of the blender prevents it from being turned on if it is improperly assembled, which helps to avoid injuries and other troubles, and the possibility of splitting the ice and the convenience of the control panel add functionality to the devices.
So, a modern blender is a small kitchen equipment that can grind, mix, whisk products of different density. The first such device appeared more than a hundred years ago. It was used to mix shakes and cocktails. Today, using this kitchen appliance, you can quickly make baby food, in a matter of minutes, chop the boiled meat, vegetables or fruits.
Adults and children are very fond of milkshakes, juices, fruit purees, smoothies, the preparation of which with the help of this device takes a little time.
- Stationary. It is a bowl inside which there are knives (there are models that are completed with an additional knife for splitting ice). The advantage of a stationary device is that it does not need to be held in hand, it stands on a stand connected to the power supply network. Regulation of speeds of crushing or beating is carried out by means of the button or the lever located on the handle.
With the help of a stationary blender, you can make a puree soup, fruit or vegetable puree, sauce, smoothies (including children's milk) and even batter. Grind vegetables in them will turn out worse than using an immersion blender, but to grind the squash caviar to a puree in the bowl better (submersible can leave lumps). Of the minuses of a stationary device, its large dimensions should be noted.
- Submersible. It is an elongated handle, at the end of which is a nozzle with knives. The kit may include several nozzles, for example, a whisk, a double-knife bowl, a vacuum pump that pumps air out of the bag and allows you to store food for a long time. The cost of the submersible device depends on the number of nozzles.
Despite its compactness, the handheld device does an excellent job with shredding products, including a small amount of them. Also, using it to cook mayonnaise well. Another indisputable advantage of the immersion blender is that the products do not need to be transferred from one dish to another, you can grind them right in the plate or pan, in which the process of cooking takes place.
- For cocktails. Healthy green cocktails and smoothies made from all kinds of berries, fruits and vegetables are the trend of modern cooking. This is a delicious dessert after a hearty dinner, and a healthy breakfast. It is possible to prepare such cocktails without a blender, but then the process of grinding and mixing will require a lot of time and truly titanic efforts. A blender for cocktails with sharp and long knives and a large, comfortable bowl will save time and turn routine work into a creative process. It will grind and mix products in seconds.
For mixing all the ingredients of a milkshake a capacious container is necessary. In addition, for the processing of such a mixture will require a high-speed unit, because only he can bring the drink to the desired consistency and beat a good foam.
- Combined. Models that combine the functions of stationary and immersion devices. Such devices are also called hybrid. This appliance is sometimes referred to as a “blender mixer” or “mini combine”. The combination includes an immersion blender, a knife nozzle in a closed container, a whisk for beating and a measuring cup. An extra bowl of larger capacity may be included.
In the combined device it is easy to chop and mix vegetables, herbs, nuts. It can be called a mini-combine. It is multifunctional and easily replaces the meat grinder, coffee grinder, juicer. The only drawback of this device is its high cost.
Nozzles and Functions
The blender kit includes a device, as well as a bowl, nozzles, which increase the number of available operations, including nozzles for sauces. In order to avoid damage to the device, you should not overestimate the possibilities of nozzles: the quality characteristics of the device are influenced by an electric motor, which leads them to a working state. If the power of the structure is 150 W, do not use a nozzle for crushing nuts. Before starting to work with the device, it is necessary to study in detail the functional capabilities and operating conditions of the new element.
- Nozzle for making mashed potatoes. Allows in less than two minutes to turn a boiled vegetable into a mush with a uniform consistency.
- Nozzle grinder. Its use helps in a matter of seconds to cut meat, hard cheese, greens, nuts, chocolate, onions, as well as crush ice.
- Nozzle whisk. Designed for whipping egg whites, cream and other products to the formation of air mass. The nozzle with a nimbus simplifies work with light products.
- Nozzle for cutting cubes. Allows you to quickly perform the cutting of fruits and hard vegetables.
- Nozzle for shredding. This item helps to shred hard cheese and other foods. A nozzle with a grater is a handy thing.
- The main nozzle. The main nozzle of the submersible blender is a leg, which is presented in the form of an elongated rod, 20 cm long. At the bottom of the element there is a small two-blade knife hidden under a plastic cap. This design allows you to minimize the likelihood of splashing of the liquid mass. The purpose of the nozzle is the preparation of vegetable and fruit puree, puree soups, mousses. With this element you can easily cook minced meat.
- Nozzle shaker. Often the shaker goes together with a transparent high narrow glass. It is used for mixing dairy and fruit-vegetable cocktails, making tomato sauce or cream soup. Even a large amount of raw materials in the shortest possible time will be turned into a healthy drink.
- Nozzle for mixing. The universal structure of the nozzle combines the functions of a knife, a nimbus. Its use allows in the shortest possible time to prepare not only a light dough, an omelette, but also minced meat. Ideal for making breakfasts for a child.
- Nozzle for chopping ice. Using such a nozzle, prepare a delicious cocktail under the force of even a child. You can use the nozzle only if the device has sufficient power, which should be more than 350-400 watts.
- Nozzle hook. Often this nozzle is present only in certain models of the blender, because its use delivers trouble. This is due to the fact that the kneading of the dough requires at least ten minutes. In addition, the consistency of the test creates an additional load on the motor, as a result, the appliance wears out faster.
- Vacuum pump in tank. The purpose of the “pumping” nozzle is to extend the shelf life of products. Its equipment includes the presence of special containers in which the ingredients are stored for preservation. After placing them on the lid of the product should be put the exact time of product packaging.
- Nozzle chopper. This nozzle crushes products. Used in modern models of immersion blenders. Convenient to use, but alone is expensive.
If you want to extend the life of the nozzles, you should consider certain rules for their use. To replace, select the desired item, insert it into the engine block, then turn it. During the manipulation period, the device must be disconnected from the mains. Before laying out overall products, be sure to cut them into small pieces.
You can not load the container completely, a large amount of products should be divided into small portions.
When using the nozzle should pay attention to the power of the device, which should ensure its proper functioning. Thus, the use of a blender will facilitate the life of a modern hostess. In the selection process should be guided by their own needs, do not overpay for those nozzles that are not useful.
Before you buy a device, pay attention to its functional and technical features.
What to look for
A blender is a powerful device that can chop vegetables and mince in a few minutes, break ice, wipe mashed potatoes, beat eggs, make cream. Its function is grinding and mixing. It works from the electrical network, designed for the kitchen. Thanks to the nozzles of the knives, you can chop an apple or minced meat to a mushy state, and the whisk head will beat the squirrel.
Blender successfully competes with the food processor. It is mobile, convenient and takes up little space compared to the second device.
Before buying a stationary or submersible blender, pay attention to what should be the ideal device. The best one that fully meets the stated characteristics. Recommendations of experts will help determine the choice. Pay attention to the power of the device - this indicator should start from 400 W, a small speed reduces its functionality. The number of speeds varies from two to fifteen.
The body can be made of plastic or metal. Choose models that combine these two materials. Decide whether the device needs a whisk for beating or a vacuum pump. Remember that each nozzle increases the price of the blender. When choosing a stationary device, pay attention to power, number of speeds, material, bowl volume, stability.
If you cannot make a choice between a stationary and a submersible appliance for the home, look at the combined models. They are completed at the same time both the manual blender, and stationary. The need to purchase a separate device for cocktails will disappear if there is a whisk in the kit, and additional nozzles will allow you to chop and chop vegetables and fruits like a grater.
When choosing a blender, remember that the rule here works: “the most expensive does not mean the best”.
Pay attention not so much to the original design, but to the stability of the device. Prefer models with a wide and solid base. In this case, even when operating at high speed, it will not vibrate and move along the surface of the table. The basis of the device can be metal or plastic. Plastic is lighter and cheaper, and metal is more durable and more stable.
Check your favorite model in operation for noise level. The quieter the blender works, the more comfortable the process of cooking products in it will be. The design and color scheme plays, if not decisive, then an essential role. Therefore, choose what you like and meets the aesthetic demands. Take into account not only the appearance and technical characteristics, but also the purpose for which the blender is purchased.
Experts give some tips on which device is best to choose: submersible or stationary.
The submersible version of the device is a handle with an engine and a set of nozzles. They are very popular because of their versatility and ease of use. The nozzle is put on, immersed in any container with products, crushed or whipped its contents. The main thing is that the tank had high walls. At the same time, the device has to be held in hands during all its work. Some people find this inconvenient, but the process of working due to power takes very little time.
It takes up little space, you can remove it on a shelf or place it on a bracket, and use the capacity of a blender at your discretion. The submersible model is good at preparing a small amount of food, for example, baby puree. When choosing worth paying attention to engine power. If the blender is purchased for grinding frozen food or for chopping ice, then its power should be at least 400 watts.
Submersible models may have a different speed range. A huge plus is the presence of a smooth switching with a pulse mode. When the pulse mode is convenient to control the speed by simply pressing a key. Nozzles are the main attributes of the device. The kit usually includes a nozzle with knives for mixing and grinding products. It is better if it is made of metal.
Submersible wireless blenders are on sale today. They are convenient because they can work on charged batteries. For convenience, it is better to choose a model with a rubberized handle.
The main difference of the stationary blender is that its high narrow capacity is fixed on the housing with an electric motor. Inside the tank is a working knife - the main grinding tool. Power stationary model affects the speed of rotation of the chopping knife. Ideal - devices with a capacity of 400 to 800 watts. The working bowl can be made of glass, metal or plastic.
The main thing is that the material of the bowl should be of high quality, especially plastic. Cheap plastic becomes cloudy, absorbs the sharp smells of spices, is subject to mechanical and thermal damage. If the blender will prepare dishes from hot products, the best fit glass or metal. Sometimes there are bowls of composite materials, such as polycarbonate. They have lightness, durability, do not fight and do not darken, are not afraid of high temperature.
A device with a bowl of composite material is more expensive, but if funds allow, experts advise choosing it.
Convenient when the bowl has a spout. Cocktails and liquid products will not spill over during transfusion. Usually the knives in the bowls of stationary blenders are not removed, they are embedded directly into the container. Some devices have extra capacity included. Sometimes commercially available stationary options with removable nozzles, for example, for chopping ice or for whipping.
If there is enough space in the kitchen, then it is better to purchase an appliance with removable bowls due to its ease of use. The speed range of the stationary blender is from one to twenty. The higher the speed, the faster the device works and the finer the cutting of products. Pulse mode is good for viscous products with a dense consistency. The speed of the blender and the grinding of products depend on the shape of the knives and the number of cutting surfaces on them. Knives with several curved planes grind products quickly and evenly, for example, double knives with several cutting edges.
A stationary device has two methods of control - mechanical and electronic.
Electronic control with the choice of the program is very convenient, since the program has already laid the necessary time and speed. For example, if you need to make mashed potatoes, then you just have to lay the necessary ingredients, select the mashed cooking program, turn on the button and wait. Self-cleaning function - simple and convenient. In the bowl just pour water with detergent and turn it on. Then dry the container.
The hole in the lid of the container for adding products is convenient because during the work you can add the necessary ingredients to the bowl without turning off the device. For safety, some models are equipped with a sensor that shuts off the engine when overheated.
Buying a reliable kitchen blender is not an easy task. Today, many manufacturers produce immersion and stationary devices that meet all modern requirements and user requests. Help find a high-quality and professional device can reviews real buyers. Firms that produce blenders a lot, so it is easy to get confused when choosing a particular model. Many well-known brands that produce kitchen appliances.
The undoubted leaders and the most popular brands of blenders include companies such as Braun, Philips and Bosch. Less popular manufacturers include: “Vitesse”, “Moulinex”, “Scarlett”, “Vitek”, “Bork”, “Kenwood”, “Tefal” and many others. Buyers note that in terms of technical characteristics, they are not inferior to the well-known brands.
Judging by the reviews, the possibility of a submersible blender series "Multiquick" Braun wide: you can grind different foods, make mashed potatoes, all sorts of sauces and cocktails, cook different mixes, chop foods, shake. For these purposes, special stainless steel knives, as well as modes of operation.
Wireless Immersion Blenders Braun Multiquick easy to use. For example, they can easily be used where there is no possibility to connect to the electrical network.
Users of modern kitchen blenders point out that the service life of appliances depends on the quality of materials. Price is an important feature. Expensive devices are not yet a guarantee of long service life of the device. Choose models of the average price range. Give preference to budget models if you do not want to overpay for the brand.