Why do you need glass on the table?
Practically in every room there is a table, be it a kitchen table located in the kitchen-studio, a small coffee table decorating a cozy living room, a dressing table at which girls clean themselves up, not to mention a writing desk or school desk, which is located in the office. or child. To furniture served for a long time and retained its perfect appearance, special glass is used. Let's see why you need glass on the table, what types are and how to choose the right element.
What is the name of?
A specially designed element that is designed to protect the surface of the table is called plexiglass. This glass on the table can also be used as a decorative element, if it shows an intricate pattern or pattern. Plexiglas was quite a popular attribute, which was actively used in the 80s of the last century. At that time, almost every desk contained glass, under which it was customary to store various little notes, postcards, photographs, and other necessary and useful notes.
This functional glass on the table has not lost its relevance now. Having undergone some changes, it again finds its supporters and gains popularity both among the adult audience, which keeps the old-fashioned reminders and notes under it, and among young people who use its non-slip surface to work with a mouse at a computer and laptop.
Why do you need?
Safety glass on the table has gained wide popularity since it has a number of functional features:
- Preserves the perfect appearance of the surface of the tabletop, protecting it from scratches and dirt. This is especially true for the desk of a young schoolchild or preschooler, who, having played and carried away, can scratch it or stain it with hard-to-remove paints or markers during drawing.
- Removes small flaws and defects that appeared on the desk during its long operation.
- Thanks to a variety of options for execution, this element can easily fit into any interior room.
- Due to the glass surface, such a product can visually expand the space, which is important for small rooms, for example, for a nursery or an office, which are often of quite modest size.
Buying plexiglass, you save on repairs and restoration work, as it is much easier and cheaper to replace such an overlay on the table than to buy a new one or repair a tabletop.
Please note that the plexiglass on the school desk has several advantages over other similar elements, especially in comparison with ordinary glass. The main positive qualities include the following:
- Practicality. Plexiglas differs in the increased durability. Even if this material falls, it will not break. In addition, glass has protective properties, protecting the tabletop not only from mechanical damage, but also from moisture.
- Ease. This plexiglass differs in small weight therefore even the small child will be able independently to lift him.
- Security. It is provided not only with impact-resistant material, but also with rounded edges that will save the baby from injury.
Despite the fact that ordinary glass is much cheaper than other plates, it is not recommended to place it on the school desk, especially if it is being handled by a small child. This limitation is due to the following:
- It is very fragile: if it falls to the floor or if a heavy object falls on it, it will fall into small fragments that can injure the child;
- On sharp edges, a child may get hurt.
Usually, a special pad is used for the student’s desk, made of transparent material that fully corresponds to the size of the tabletop or may have small dimensions, partially taking up space on the table.
Types of material
There are several options for plexiglass.
- Matt. It has an almost opaque surface, which hides cracks, cracks and other surface imperfections. Perfectly hides minor defects, returning the table to the perfect appearance.
- Hardened. Most often it is placed on countertops, which are constantly and almost continuously used, for example, in the kitchen, in the living room, and in reception offices of large organizations.
- Tinted or toned. On its surface can be applied a variety of patterns, designs or prints, or it can be painted in a certain color. Most often used as a decorative element.
- Bent Able to emphasize the unusual shape of the table design.
- Normal transparent. It can be applied in various rooms, for example, for a desk student.
Depending on the structure, there are two types of Plexiglas:
- Extruded. It is characterized by insufficient resistance to damage, requires careful treatment.
- Cast. Very durable and durable product.
Recently, soft glass has become very popular (the second name is a silicone tablecloth). It is made from thick PVC film and has a transparent surface.
The main advantages of soft glass include the following:
- It is elastic and flexible, thanks to which it fits perfectly to the surface of the tabletop;
- It has a sufficient thickness that protects the table from scratches, stains, chips;
- Does not slide off the surface;
- Maintains a temperature of up to 70 degrees, that is, if you put a cup of hot tea or coffee on this Plexiglas, its surface will not be deformed and will retain its original appearance;
- The transparency of this flexible glass will not obstruct the free viewing of the table, so you can store the necessary notes under it or demonstrate the beauty of the table top.
To start using flexible plexiglass, it is enough to spread it on the tabletop. At any time you can roll the soft glass into a roll and remove from the table.
What thickness should be?
Depending on the material from which Plexiglas is made and where it is used, it can have a different thickness. For example, if we are talking about soft glass, then this value is 2 mm. If plexiglas is used for a desk, while it completely covers the tabletop, then its thickness must be at least 5 mm.
The well-known and popular trademark Ikea, specializing in the production of high-quality furniture, has not paid attention to plexiglass for the table. This manufacturer offers several options for such overlays on the tabletop.
Rissla has a stylish and elegant appearance, discreet implementation of this product has won many fans among the male half of the population. This product will look organic in the office and in the apartment. This pad is made in black. As decoration is used decorative white stitching, which frames the edge of this product. It has a special bend located on the front edge, so that the pad does not slide off the surface of the tabletop.
"Risla" is made of durable polyurethane, therefore, has a high durability characteristics. This product is not afraid of scratches or spilled hot coffee. The length of this lining is 86 cm, and the width is 58 cm.
This attribute is not whimsical in care: it is enough to wipe it with a damp cloth, and then with a dry cloth, and there will be no trace of contamination.
"Proyss" - transparent plexiglas on the table. This product is slightly smaller than the Rissla model from Ikea. Its length is 65 centimeters, and its width reaches 45 centimeters. Made from ethylene vinyl acetate, which belongs to environmentally friendly materials. This pad is characterized by increased wear resistance, moreover, it is not afraid of the influence of aggressive chemicals, so you can not worry that scratches or stains will appear on its surface.
Having the important notes under this Plexiglas, you will not only have the necessary information in sight, but also protect it from damage and pollution.
To remove dust or dirt, a damp cloth moistened with soapy water can be used. After contamination disappears, wipe the surface thoroughly with a dry cloth.
Model "Scrutt" refers to silicone linings. Its dimensions are 65 cm in length and 45 cm in width. It is produced in black. This product also has high wear-resistant characteristics. To remove dirt, use a dry cloth.
Models "Scrutt" and "Preyus" from the Ikea brand have a democratic price, so anyone can buy a similar overlay. Despite the rather high cost of the Rissl, it will emphasize the refined taste and status of its owner.
How to choose?
Choosing plexiglas on the table, you should pay attention to some points:
- The thickness will depend on the purpose for which glass is purchased: if as a decorative ornament, then you can opt for a thin product; if the main focus is on a protective function, then a thicker model should be preferred.
- If the length of the plexiglass is not enough to cover the entire tabletop, then you can combine several separate overlays.
- Rounded or sharp corners. If the product is purchased for the student's desk, it is better to give preference to a model with rounded corners in order to protect the child from injury and damage.
- Glass on the table can not only decorate the tabletop, hide small imperfections of the surface, but also become an indispensable and functional attribute in the organization of the workflow of both the student and the adult.
How to give a second life to a glass table? About this, see the next video.