Modern cooking involves obtaining the maximum amount of nutrients that must be maintained during cooking. A double boiler assisting in the processing of products only under the influence of hot steam will help. With this technology, you can get not only delicious, but also nutritious meals.
The principle of the steam system
Steamers are simple designs consisting of a water tank and several cooking trays. The work of such systems can be described by such an algorithm:
- In a special tank water is poured, which it lends itself to heating.
- At the same time, trays with food are installed above the surface of this system, which are equipped with several holes that allow the steam to penetrate.
- When water begins to boil, gaseous moisture enters the container with food. This leads to the fact that all the ingredients are processed with hot steam.
- The process lasts until water runs out in the tank. After that, the system automatically shuts down and you can remove the design with bowls and begin to use.
The operation of a steam boiler involves the use of a certain source of heat that will heat the water inside. Today on the market popular modifications are folding stainless steel steamers. Similar designs have several positive characteristics:
- Strength. The material perfectly withstands mechanical stress without losing its basic properties.
- Durability. The iron double boiler perfectly transfers high temperatures and a damp environment, without giving in to corrosion. You can operate them for a very long time.
Still, these devices have significant drawbacks:
- Can only be used on open fire (gas).
- During the cooking process, nickel and copper can get into the products, which will give them a metallic taste. Also present here is nickel, causing allergic reactions.
An alternative option for stainless steel construction is an aluminum double boiler. Some models of metal products can be complemented by an enamelled surface, which has a beautiful design and high practicality.
It should be understood that in most cases only food trays, which are made of different materials, differ in steamers. Today you can find bowls of glass, which are also quite popular.
This material is characterized by durability and quality indicators of heat preservation. Food cooked in this container may remain warm for a long time. You should also pay attention to the fact that glass practically does not enter into any chemical reactions and does not emit harmful substances.
An alternative to ordinary glass is ceramic, which also retains heat well. They are used relatively rarely, since their practicality is relatively low. This material, like glassware, is very fragile and easily damaged by impact.
Varieties of materials
In addition to the products reviewed, bowls for such systems can be made of several more types of substances. According to this criterion, they can be divided into the following types:
- Plastic double boilers. Many modern manufacturers are increasingly using this substance in the manufacture of such systems. This material perfectly tolerates exposure to temperature. Plastic packaging does not absorb and does not emit any harmful substances (only quality products are meant), which makes it a universal product for the manufacture of steamers.
- Silicone products. These designs are not full steam boilers. Such capacity is most likely positioned as an insert on the pan. To cook food for a couple, you just need to put it on top of a metal tank in which water is heated.
- Wooden. Today, bamboo is used as the main material for the manufacture of such products. Steamers of this type can also be used with pots or containers of a certain size. To do this, they are simply placed on top of the frame and filled with products. Chinese products are distinguished by their versatility and safety, therefore they gradually conquer a significant segment of the market.
There are steam cookers with metal pallets, used as supports for main trays.
A variety of such products is quite widespread in the modern market. Among all this diversity, there are several well-known brands:
- Bomann. All designs of this manufacturer consist of 3 plastic trays that are perfectly washed in the dishwasher.
- Braun. The company is a leader in this field. A distinctive feature of such systems is the presence of a special function that allows cooking in several modes simultaneously.
- Clatronic. Steamers of this company are aimed at the maximum preservation of healthy substances of food. They are completed with several filters for water, and also are equipped with reliable system of collecting condensate.
- Hors. The company produces high-quality silicone containers that are practical and able to withstand temperatures up to +250 degrees.
When choosing a double boiler, be sure to take into account customer reviews. This will allow you to choose the best price-quality ratio, as well as choose a system that will effectively solve all your tasks.