Kitchens of small sizes can be found in many modern apartments. Their owners are faced with the problem of ergonomic furniture placement. Arrange the space should be so that the room intended for cooking, was not only comfortable but also stylish. Properly selected furniture for a small kitchen is able to radically transform the design of a room, to make the most of its entire space.
Light shades of furniture make the interior of the kitchen more spacious and fresh.
Rules for the selection and placement of furniture in a small kitchen
To beautifully and conveniently arrange the furniture in a small area should follow these rules:
- It is necessary to select furniture of light colors. So the kitchen will seem lighter and more spacious. Dark colors visually reduce space, create a dark atmosphere.
- On the facades should be a minimum of decorations, as they overload the interior.
- The main furniture is placed as far as possible from the door. This installation option contributes to the visual expansion of the room.
- It is recommended to install a piece of furniture that is high from floor to ceiling. This can be a cabinet, pencil case or refrigerator. It will divert attention from the small size of the room. A photo of furniture suitable for a small kitchen can be seen below.
Floor-to-ceiling furniture helps save valuable space.
Arrangement of the working area
Set - the most important element of the kitchen. That is why planning the arrangement of furniture begins with a headset. The working area should be located so as to create the most convenient conditions for cooking.
Choosing the shape and size of the kitchen unit, determined by its location in the kitchen, you should consider the size of the room and the hostess’s love for the cooking process. There are several types of layouts:
- Straightforward. Set set against the wall with a refrigerator. This universal version is used in rooms of all sizes.
- Angular. The working area is placed in a corner. This type of layout is most suitable for small square-shaped kitchens. So the hostess has everything at hand, and the sink, refrigerator and stove form an ergonomic triangle between them.
- Parallel. The furniture is set along two walls opposite each other. In such a situation, there is not enough space for the dining area, so it would be logical to move it to another room. Parallel layout suitable for rectangular rooms.
- U-shaped. The set occupies three walls at once. The upper part of the letter P occupies the working surface with a sink, it is usually placed under the window. On each side install a refrigerator, stove, cabinets for storing dishes. Variants of the location of kitchen furniture for a small smithy can be seen in the photo.
U-shaped kitchen is perfect for small spaces.
Solutions for wall and floor cabinets
For the rational use of the space of a small kitchen, it is recommended to make cabinets:
- With less depth. The standard depth of kitchen cabinets is 60 cm. If you order headset modules with a depth of 45 or 42 cm, you can save space.
- Height to ceiling. Tall cabinets do not collect dust on their surface and contain many items.
Tall, shallow cupboards make the kitchen more spacious and functional.
If the owners have a little kitchen utensils, you can completely abandon the wall cabinets, replacing them with shelves. So the furniture will look easier, and the kitchen is more spacious.
Tip! A spectacular way to decorate a headset is to install an LED backlight. If you hold it under the floor thumbs, it will seem as if the headset is floating above the floor.
Unload the interior of a small kitchen will help open shelves
Traditional hinged doors of cabinets in the open state take up a lot of space, besides they are traumatic. Experts recommend replacing them with sliding or lifting mechanisms. They should open smoothly and be fixed in the desired position.
Sliding systems are great for a small kitchen.
Furniture for a small kitchen is better to make to order. To do this, you should think in advance about its internal content. To make maximum use of the space inside the cabinets, you can install the following elements:
- Dividers and organizers. It helps to sort the stored items, keep them in order and easily find the necessary.
- Rotating shelf-roundabouts. Provide convenient access to all stored items. Usually used in corner mounted modules.
- Roll-out and retractable accessories, metal baskets. All these elements increase the spaciousness and increase the convenience of using kitchen furniture.
- Expanders made of metal or plastic. Allow to increase the height of the walls of the drawers, so that they contain as much as possible items.
Lifting mechanism of the upper cabinets for a small kitchen
Tip! If, after installing the headset in the kitchen, there are still narrow empty niches, you can embed a retractable pencil case into them.
The traditional version of the facades of the headset involves the use of natural wood. Such furniture looks luxurious and with proper care can last for many years. Cons of using natural wood: the need to protect from sunlight, to wax, to use gentle cleaning agents, to be careful with water, as under the influence of moisture, such furniture will easily deteriorate.
The wooden facades of the kitchen set look very organic in the interior of a small kitchen.
A much more economical option is the use of MDF, which can be covered from above:
- Veneer. Externally, such a surface can not be distinguished from natural wood. Veneered MDF is cheaper than an array of wood, it is not so demanding to care.
- Enamel paint. Such furniture is not afraid of humidity and temperature fluctuations; it can have strict rectangular and smooth rounded shapes, have any color, imitate the texture of other materials, for example, silk or metal. The enamel surface looks beautiful, but when mechanically applied, chips quickly appear on it. Photos of bright glossy furniture suitable for a small kitchen can be viewed below.
- PVC film. This is a cheap material that can imitate any surface. Cons: fade in the sun, can peel off. Replacing the film is inexpensive, if you want to do it yourself.
- Plastic. This material shines beautifully, does not fade in the sun, is not afraid of water, but quickly gets dirty and difficult to clean.
Separately, it is worth noting frame facades. They consist of two parts: a frame and an insert. The frame can be used wood, MDF, chipboard, aluminum. Any materials are suitable for insertion. In the design of a small kitchen will look good glass.
The transparent glass surface visually makes the headset more compact. The drawback of such a facade decoration is that guests will clearly see the contents of the shelves behind the glass, so they will have to be kept in perfect order, and it is better to place beautiful dishes behind the transparent door. Hide the contents of the cabinets from prying eyes will help frosted or tinted glass.
Selection of furniture for the dining area
When choosing a dining table, you should give preference to models having the shape of a circle or an oval, since more people will fit behind them than at a square-shaped table. For a small kitchen, these table options are suitable:
- Folding. In the assembled state, such a table takes up little space and is suitable for dinner by a small family. A few simple movements will allow you to expand the table, lifting its edges and increasing its size at least twice. At the big table you can celebrate any important event with all your relatives and friends.
- Transformer. In the folded state, this table has a small size. To decompose it, you should push the two halves of the tabletop and install an additional panel between them.
- Built. The table can be built into the wall. In the folded state, its tabletop will be located vertically along the wall, practically without occupying the kitchen space. If necessary, the tabletop is lifted and rests on a folding leg, forming a complete table.
In addition to the multifunction table, you can purchase folding stools or chairs that fold as if strung together. Excess seating furniture can be stored in the pantry, on the balcony or loggia and get to the arrival of guests. Variants of sets of kitchen furniture for the kitchen are presented in the photo.
A stylish and modern solution - to put a bar counter instead of a dining table. It takes up little space and around 5 people can comfortably sit around it. Near the bar you can place high bar stools.
Choosing a style for a small kitchen
All kitchen furniture should be made in the same style to harmonize with each other. A small kitchen will look most harmonious in the following styles.
This beautiful style is distinguished by elegance and restraint. The furniture is made from natural wood or its high-quality imitation. Its colors should be calm, pastel: sand, cream, vanilla, white. The set is decorated with carving or fine gold edging.
Making out the kitchen in this sleek style, you will need to install a headset with solid solid doors. No decorations on the surface of the furniture should be. Suitable colors: white, beige and gray. Cabinets must have a strict rectangular shape. Fittings are better to use hidden. In the kitchen should not be extra furniture, set only the most necessary. Furniture design for a small kitchen in a minimalist style can be seen in the photo.
In this style the kitchen should look simple, but light and light. The set should be made of light wood, look old. The upper tiers can be completely replaced with open shelves. Bottom drawers can be decorated with panels. The colors used are gentle, natural: olive, pink, mint, lavender, peach, white. The kitchen is always decorated with a decor of light, light fabric with a floral pattern.
The right choice of furniture and planning its placement will help in creating a modern design of a small kitchen room. Even the smallest kitchen can be turned into a nice cozy corner in which it is convenient to cook and it is not a shame to show guests.