Drip coffee maker
- What is it for?
- Device and principle of operation
- Cooking features
- How to choose?
There are many ways to enjoy fine ground coffee from the comfort of your own home. The modern market offers many of the most unusual and even innovative coffee machines and coffee makers. Consider one of the most simple models - drip.
What is it for?
Drip-type coffee maker is suitable for those people who are very fond of natural coffee, spending a minimum of time and effort during its preparation. Especially in the morning, in a hurry, no one wants to spend a lot of time brewing coffee "manually", grind grains, stand at the stove for a long time, then decant and cool. Or, for example, during lunch at the office, it is very convenient to boil fine ground coffee with one touch. Such a device will become a loyal assistant in the case of important negotiations, when you want to attract your interlocutor, by offering him a cup of aromatic coffee.
Such a device is perfect for both home and small cafeterias, where in a matter of seconds you can make fresh and aromatic coffee. It does not take up much space, you can easily install it on a microwave or on a small tabletop. In addition, it does not require special care, just enough to replace the filter in time and do not forget to pour water into the tank.
Drip coffee maker is sometimes called "American". This is due to the fact that before the Americans were considered not very picky lovers of this drink. They could drink a cup of coffee all day. Therefore, it is believed that if you want a delicious coffee, but there is no desire to laboriously and “fiddle” with it for a long time, then the best solution would be to purchase a drip coffee maker.
In addition, this device is the most affordable type of coffee makers on the market today. Despite the difference in prices for this device, they still remain a budget option for the production of organic coffee. Very often buying a drip coffee maker, do not pay special attention to its functionality, rather, look at the price tag. Or vice versa, in the pursuit of innovations, people overpay for completely unnecessary functions, forgetting that the drip coffee maker is a simple device and there can be nothing complicated in it. Producers in the pursuit of profit go to various tricks that do not affect the taste of coffee, and buyers eagerly overpay for it.
Device and principle of operation
Drip coffee maker is a very simple device. It is the easiest among all other devices.
It consists of a heating element that is connected to the stove, and there is a coffee pot on it. There is also a water tank, a place for coffee, usually above the coffee pot, to fill on top, and a control panel. Depending on the coffee maker model, there may be several buttons, but in the simplest types there is only one button - on and off.
The principle of operation is also simple. The water from the tank moves to the heating element and becomes a hot mixture that moves through the pipe into the coffee compartment. Inside the compartment, steam drips into the coffee, where it passes through the grains and flows into the container.
As soon as all the water has passed through the compartment with coffee and hit the coffee pot, the heating element starts and does not allow the finished drink to cool.
Important is that heating temperature is designed so that the device does not burn out without water supply, the heating plate always works poorly, so initially hot coffee can even slightly cool down to a comfortable temperature.
In this device, you can get coffee of different strength, but you need to firmly know the basic rule: This coffee maker produces one type of coffee - “American”. Therefore, if the buyer prefers only this type of coffee, then he does not need to take an espresso machine or another powerful coffee maker. Drip model perfectly cope with this.
If you want to brew strong coffee, then you need to use finely ground coffee and set the spill of water to a minimum. Then the water will absorb more of the aroma from the coffee beans and the drink will be stronger. And vice versa: for a more watery and light taste, the rate of passage of water should be accelerated, and the grind of coffee should be more coarse. An important fact is that almost all coffee makers of this type pass through the compartment with coffee all the water, so you should fill it with consideration of those who want, and not just completely fill the tank.
Cocoa lovers can also pay attention to this device. After all, you can put ground cocoa beans in the compartment and the principle of action will be repeated, as a result of which you can enjoy a cup of delicious cocoa. Especially this function will please those who, due to reasons, cannot constantly enjoy coffee, and rich ground cocoa is no worse than the flavored "American".
This device is still very convenient because coffee does not need to be brewed manually. It is enough to pour ground grain into the compartment, pour water into the tank and press the button. After a few minutes, the finished drink will be in the coffee pot.
As mentioned above, drip coffee makers are designed to make this filtered coffee. Fans of espresso or cappuccino are hardly worth buying this device, as it is simply not intended for making these drinks.
How to choose?
When choosing a quality coffee maker you should pay attention to a lot of nuances. After all, in order for the coffee maker to serve for a long time and properly, all the details in it should work like a clock. Let's try to figure out what you should pay attention when buying a drip coffee maker:
Usually, the material of the coffee maker is considered the area where the coffee itself is placed, namely the coffee pot. In this area, the material has been in contact with water for the longest time, which means that there is a high probability of water stagnation and thinning of the material. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the glass coffee pot. More budget models offer plastic containers in their samples, but they, as practice shows, are short-lived. The advantage of this material is that when it falls it will not break, but especially cheap plastic affects the quality of the finished drink very strongly, because it has an unpleasant smell when heated. Therefore, when choosing a drip coffee maker, you must first sort those devices whose coffee pot is not made of glass.
This is the second parameter in importance. Filters in this device can be of several types:
- Paper. This is the most famous and simplest type. This filter has great advantages over other types, namely, that the paper itself has excellent filtration properties; it retains an unpleasant residue from ground coffee, containing harmful substances, such as coffee and cofestol. A drink that has passed through a single-pass filter is much more useful than if it had passed through a reusable filter, it is also much more convenient to use, it does not need to be washed and cleaned, the old one is immediately utilized, and a new one is put in its place. Absolutely no need to mess with the contaminated cavity of the coffee maker. Especially if you do not immediately launder dried divorce, later it will be much more difficult. Paper filters are very inexpensive, so when choosing a coffee maker you should not worry that their constant replacement will noticeably hit the budget.
- Metal. Unconditional plus of the metal filter is, first of all, in its repeated use. Some manufacturers still use this element in the manufacture of drip-type coffee makers. The peculiarity of this filter is that when water passes through the grains, not all substances linger in it, as in the first type of filters. Coffee, thus, acquires some specific flavor. Sometimes this method of brewing is called "Indian." Therefore, when choosing a coffee maker with a metal filter, you should first try the taste of the finished coffee, and only then make a final decision, because you can be disappointed. But It is worth noting that such coffee makers do not exclude the possibility of using disposable filters. Of course, the huge disadvantage of a metal filter is that it needs to be washed immediately, which is sometimes very difficult, especially if there is absolutely no time.
- Nylon. It can be considered an alternative to the metal filter, since the principle of operation is similar. The nylon filter appeared on the coffee maker market relatively recently, and its use is an individual matter, but like the metal filter it needs to be replaced periodically, otherwise the finished drink will have an unpleasant taste and smell. On average, the nylon filter is designed for 60-80 applications. It is necessary to wash it, as well as the metal filter after each use.
- Filter of "gold". This is the same nylon filter, but with a titanium coating. Manufacturers claim that it works much longer than other types, and needs to be replaced no earlier than 150 applications. It will also have to be washed, in operation it is no different from a normal nylon filter, and its cost is much higher. Therefore, it is believed that the "golden" filter is nothing more than a marketing ploy by manufacturers.
Despite the fact that the most important elements in the coffee maker have already been considered, you should pay attention to such details as the volume of the flask. It will be correct to initially calculate the number of people who will drink coffee at the same time. For example, for a family of two people you should not take a coffee maker, calculated on the preparation for one cycle of 1.5-2 liters of coffee. Also, it would be foolish to take a small coffee maker, designed for the preparation of 2 glasses of coffee in the whole office. In this case, just pay attention to the more voluminous coffee makers.
Depending on the maximum amount of water manufacturers choose the power of the coffee maker. Some tend to assume that the higher the capacity of the coffee maker - the stronger the drink. This is a false statement. The strength of the drink depends on the number of grains, covered in the filter. Choosing a coffee maker, again it is necessary to assume that the number of people who will drink coffee at the same time. The average power of a conventional coffee maker is 1 kW +/- 100W.
Very often, coffee makers try to somehow stand out from their competitors, introducing various innovations into their inventions. It also applies to drip-type coffee makers. The latest models of such devices have such functions as “Turk” - the process of making coffee becomes so “natural” that the resulting drink is similar to coffee, like “handmade” in a real Turk. Also, more advanced models are developed according to the “2 in 1” scheme: one platform contains a drip coffee maker with a cappuccinator and with a removable tank, which allows it to be used in different cases, depending on which drink you want to cook at that moment.
Despite the fact that the drip coffee maker is a relatively simple device on the coffee maker market, manufacturers often try to add some additional functions into her work system. Consider some of them:
- Anti-drip system. A very convenient feature for those who like to enjoy excellent coffee in the office. Since you have to prepare a drink for many people at the same time, you do not need to wait until the complete preparation of the entire volume of coffee is completed. It is enough to wait two or three minutes from the beginning of preparation and you can safely pour two mugs and serve on the table. Without this function, we would have to wait at least 10-15 minutes and pour the finished drink at the same time to all. In addition, this feature is convenient because the drops from the tap do not splash the entire kitchen, because they are held. Typically, high-quality coffee makers are equipped with this system, it is sometimes called “drop of feet”.
- With coffee grinder. The additional function of the coffee grinder is very convenient for those who love “all in one” and do not want to mess around manually with this process, and for those who do not have a grinder in principle. Also, this function is convenient in that it allows you to grind coffee into a given number of cups. Some coffee makers provide for adjusting the degree of grinding.
- On Timer. A very convenient feature for business people who during work can completely forget about dinner or for those who would like to come home, and ready coffee will be enough to serve. You just need to pour water, put the ground grain in the compartment and adjust the time. Then by the appointed time the coffee maker will automatically turn on and make coffee. Usually, such models provide an “auto power off” function - if it is not used for several minutes, the power supply automatically turns off.
- Heated. The most top brands of drip coffee makers are equipped with this feature. The heating panel is located under the container with the finished drink and involves maintaining the temperature for some time. This time can either be set manually or it is programmed by the manufacturer.
Advantages and disadvantages
Very often, people who do not want to spend a fabulous amount on a device that allows them to make delicious coffee, get inexpensive drip-type coffee makers and soon get frustrated because they are completely dissatisfied with the result.
There can be a lot of reasons for this, starting from the taste of the drink and ending with the constant breakdowns of the device itself. Therefore, it is very important to weigh in advance all the pros and cons of a drip-type coffee maker.
To begin, consider advantages:
- Low cost. Drip coffee maker is much lower than, for example, capsular or carob. Therefore, it is available to most users to make a drink at home or in the office.
- Elementary use. No need to fiddle with the settings on the control panel, twist the levers or work with steam and risking scalding. This is what makes the capsule coffee maker - its elementary. He poured the coffee, poured water, pressed the button - and it was done.
- Adjust the number of servings. You can enjoy coffee alone or make a big company - the main thing is to choose the desired flask size.
- Clean work. No need to mess around with the coffee grounds, especially if you use disposable filters.
- Envisaged the possibility of making cocoa or tea.
- Permanent filter replacement. Sometimes a large number of paper filters go off at a time, which cannot please. Yes, and iron and even "gold" filters have their wear limit.
- With careless use You can pour the device, which requires immediate cleansing.
- Some models require large quantities of ground coffee for making a small portion of the finished drink. For lovers of elite varieties, this is a breeze.
- The device is designed for cooking one type of coffee - "American". Get a gentle foam like a latte does not work - the device is not designed for this.
We give a small review of modern manufacturers of drip coffee makers, which have a place to be on the market. The top ten rankings of drip coffee makers include manufacturers such as Redmond, Polaris, Ariete Moulinex, Siemens, Roventa, Vitek, Tefal and Electrolux. Their coffee makers are durable. Users noted that using them is much easier compared to other brands.
Professional kitchen appliances, including coffee makers from Redmond, occupy the very first places according to customer reviews. Reliability, quality of materials and, most importantly, the taste of the finished drink is estimated at the highest level.
Jura - an elite company (country of origin - Switzerland) for the manufacture of kitchen appliances, in particular, coffee machines and coffee makers. The price of drip models many times exceeds the cost of more budget models, but it can be considered. that this purchase is for life. True connoisseurs of coffee will never miss the opportunity to purchase a quality machine that will delight with an exquisite coffee drink every morning.
You will learn more information about the drip coffee maker from the following video.