Corner Kitchen Cabinet
Any hostess wants to have a comfortable kitchen, where everything is at hand and every thing has its place and at the same time that the kitchen was comfortable and beautiful. This natural desire is achievable. And in achieving this goal will help the correct choice of furniture for the kitchen, the rational use of available space and the distribution of work areas.
A large range of furniture makes it possible to turn any space into a comfortable and functional kitchen. And corner cabinets can become one of the successful options for creating such a kitchen. Such cabinets allow you to effectively use all the space of the room, including the corners.
Corner kitchen sets are designed to expand the usable space due to the area of the corners. But at the same time, they are able to give additional touches to the interior. That is, the advantages of corner cabinets include the following:
- Inclusion in the workspace of the angle, which usually remains a dead zone.
- Creation of an ergonomic zone. The angular location of the cabinets is the best possible way; it fits into the rule of the triangle, at the tops of which are the main working areas (cooker-fridge-sink). This reduces transitions between work areas and reduces fatigue.
- Such kitchens can use one corner, with the L-shaped arrangement and two corners with the U-shaped. This means that the corner sets perfectly fit into small kitchens and kitchens with a large area.
- The lower corner cabinet in the kitchen can be used to install a sink, hob, work surface with ample space under the worktop to accommodate large dishes, household chemicals, a trash can.
- Hinged corner cabinets are convenient for arranging the drying for dishes, microwave oven, oven, TV. In case the lower cabinet is used for the hob, the upper cabinet can be replaced by an exhaust hood, which are now available for corner placement.
The design of corner cabinets has two options.
- Cabinets at right angles when the cabinet repeats the configuration of the corner, and the tabletop repeats the configuration of two cabinets in contact with the corner space. Such cabinets are not always convenient for operation, due to the complex configuration of the doors and difficult access to the entire space inside the cabinet. But they are easier to manufacture and the price, respectively, lower.
- Trapezoidal cabinets look like a rectangle with a beveled corner. This cabinet shape increases the internal working volume of the cabinet. A sink or hob can be conveniently placed on its surface. And for a wall cabinet, such a configuration is convenient for built-in appliances and TV.
The operating conditions of kitchen cabinets are not simple. Temperature changes, high humidity, the presence of odors, grease stains and other contaminants make the selection of materials for kitchen cabinets a daunting task. At the same time, such cabinets should have high strength, be safe in operation, do not emit harmful substances, have beautiful facades of different styles and colors. In addition, you must have options for different price categories.
Making kitchen sets of wood is now an infrequent phenomenon. The cost of such a headset and the fact that in the conditions of a modern kitchen, wood is not the most durable option plays a role here. It is also clear that such a headset has a considerable weight and high price. Therefore, wood sets are more appropriate in the spacious kitchens of the mansions, where the interior will support their solidity and expensive design. Approximately the same can be said about the use of natural stone countertops. They are unlikely to be able to decorate a small-sized kitchen.
Consider the materials most commonly used in the manufacture of kitchen cabinets:
- Chipboard (chipboard) has the lowest cost and is widely used for the manufacture of cabinet furniture of economy class. On top of these plates have a protective and decorative coating of varnish and film. The main disadvantage of them is that the use of formaldehyde resins leads to harmful emissions.
- MDF (fine wood fraction). The plates of this material are more environmentally friendly due to the low resin content. They have various coating options of veneer, acrylic, liquid PVC. May have glass or metal inserts. Plates of this material can be given a curved shape, which allows you to create cabinets of unusual shape.
- Plastic. Currently gaining increasing popularity. Manufacturing cabinets entirely of plastic is rarely practiced, such a product will be heavy. Mostly it is used as a coating of MDF plates. Convenient variety of colors, resistance to minor damage. Glossy plastic coating options visually expand the space.
- At production of table-tops the same materials, as well as for the case are used. Along with them, both natural (marble, granite) and artificial stones can be used. Countertops made of artificial stone are more convenient and economical. Natural stones get impregnated with dirt faster and more difficult to process. We do not have these artificial defects; it is possible to make a tabletop of any shape from them.
- Metal parts of furniture can be made of aluminum, it is cheaper, but not strong enough. More reliable option is stainless steel. This metal is suitable for legs, guides for drawers, door hinges. If metal brace handles are provided in the headset, then most often, they are made of brass.
The specificity of the corner kitchen cabinet is that their space is extensive, but difficult to access, especially in the floor version. To simplify access, there are several options for mechanisms that allow you to fully utilize the cabinet space and provide easy access to objects placed in it.
- With the rectangular design of the corner cabinet, drawers of a special design that follow the shape of the corner of the cabinet become a simple and effective exit for accessing the objects of the cabinet.
- Well proven carousel shelves. This design assumes the presence of two or more round shelves. Rotating the shelves you can easily get the desired item.
- A useful system with the name “magic corner” talking about it allows you to efficiently and effectively place a large number of objects in the closet space. At the same time get them will be easy, thanks to the design of the corner. It is carried out in the form of several rectangular boxes interconnected by turning mechanisms. The last of the boxes is attached to the door, so that, pulling the door, you can pull out the boxes one by one. When the door is closed, the drawers in the same sequence slide into the cabinet.
- There are various types of fittings, making it easier and more convenient to use both lower and upper corner lockers. These are special designs of doors, with lifting mechanisms and clamps, closers, mesh baskets, which are conveniently located in the cabinet-case.
- Particular attention should be paid to door hinges. It is their design that determines the degree of opening of the doors, and in corner cabinets where draw-out and pull-out systems are used, it is necessary to have hinges with an opening angle of at least 175 degrees.
You may notice that the corner kitchen cabinets have a rather complicated construction, if they are highly functional. Therefore, it is not easy to make such a cabinet with your own hands and properly assemble the mechanisms. Assembling the cabinet requires skills and is better if performed by professionals.
We have repeatedly said that a corner cupboard acts as a solution to the problem of placing a large amount of objects, dishes and appliances in the kitchen. For this purpose, special mechanisms have been created that allow the use of the entire space of the cabinet, providing for an available internal device.
As an example of filling corner cabinets can consider several options.
- Taking into account the fact that most often the lower corner cabinet is used for washing, it is convenient to place a dryer for dishes in the wall cabinet above it. In the corner version, the washing area increases, and this makes it possible to do without a special tray under drying and thus reduce the humidity in the cabinet.
- Cutlery and various useful things conveniently placed in the drawers under the tabletop. Special trays of various sizes and configurations are used for this.
- Traditionally, the space under the sink is engaged in a garbage bin. Modern bucket designs allow you to close them tightly at the same time as closing the cabinet door. Such a device ensures clean air in the kitchen without unpleasant odors.
- Large-sized dishes, pots pans are placed on the lower floors. Retractable and withdrawable systems of corner cabinets are suitable for them. And the shelves and drawers of these systems are made of durable materials that can withstand a lot of weight.
- Existing developments provide for maximum convenience of placing kitchen utensils in cabinets, for this purpose bottlemakers, mesh baskets, colons from mesh baskets for high cabinets, etc. are used.
- High cabinets are convenient for arranging kitchen appliances in them. If it is a corner cabinet with open shelves or glass doors, it can perfectly serve to create beautiful compositions that complement the interior, using dishes and decorative elements.
This is a small part of the organization of the space of corner cabinets. There are much more options, their number is increasing, and once again it proves that the corner in the kitchen is no worse than all other places, and imagination and creativity will always help turn disadvantages into advantages.
What to look for when buying
Making sure that the corner kitchen sets are ergonomic and comfortable, you can decide on the subtleties of choice. What factors should be decisive in choosing what to look for first?
- As usual, you should deal with the size of the cabinets, so that they fit well with the size of the kitchen.
- Decide what you intend to place in the corner cabinet. This may affect how high the top cabinets are to hang. It is not recommended to hang them low if there is a sink on the tabletop, because high humidity will lead to rapid destruction of the bottom of the wall cabinet. The hob also requires special care with hanging cabinets, especially if they have plastic parts.
- For the sink located in the corner, it is important to take into account the growth of the hostess. With a small growth will be difficult to get to the mixer. In such cases, it is better to opt for a sink with a side or central location of the mixer.
- It is important to make a preliminary calculation of the corner cabinet, taking into account the location of communications, the water supply pipe, gas pipes, the existing electrical wiring. If you plan to light, which is very important for a corner cabinet, then provide the necessary number and placement of outlets.
- It is necessary to carefully consider the choice of the internal equipment of the cabinets, the thickness of the shelves, the strength of the fixings, the reliability of the door hinges, the guides of the drawers, etc.
- Of course, the choice of a corner kitchen cabinet can not do without matching its kitchen and apartment design in general.
The design of corner kitchens has no particular limitations. They fit perfectly in any style. Versions of classic and modern, country and Provence, Mediterranean style and high-tech perfectly complemented by the use of corner cabinets of various configurations.
The location of the sets and the details will depend on the shape of the kitchen. Least of all for a corner headset fits a narrow long kitchen. Such a kitchen can be done already, with one wall being free. In other cases, using the correct location of the cabinets can not only create a comfortable space, but also create a unique interior. Do not forget the basic rules for choosing the color of the headset for small kitchens. Here it is necessary to give preference to light colors, not to overload the kitchen with bright elements.