Most modern apartments located in multi-storey buildings cannot boast of a large kitchen, the housewives often do not have enough room space to accommodate all the necessary appliances. To expand the space, the kitchen is combined with other rooms, for example, a living room or a corridor. One of the modern design ideas is to combine a kitchen with a balcony or loggia. Observing all the rules and following the professional recommendations of designers, you can create an attractive kitchen design combined with a balcony. Photos of combined premises in real apartments will help with the design of your own interior.
There is no greater pleasure than dining with a gorgeous view.
The main reason for combining a kitchen and a balcony is an increase in space. The kitchen becomes larger, lighter and more comfortable, and a part of the increased area can be rationally used by installing the necessary furniture. One of the advantages of combining a kitchen with a loggia is the possibility of creating an original design, since the joint room takes an unusual shape. The kitchen interior with a balcony can be seen in the photo.
Even an unglazed balcony can be combined with a kitchen.
Differences between the balcony and the loggia
Many people confuse the concept of "balcony" and "loggia", or consider them synonymous. In fact, these are two completely different designs. They are differently structured, which must be considered in the process of any redevelopment. Design of kitchen and loggia together can be seen in the photo.
Thanks to the hollow wall of the loggia, you can continue the kitchen to the corner
The balcony is a hinged-type construction, which is attached to the wall of the house, but is not part of it. The base of the balcony is a reinforced concrete slab protruding outside the building. Around the perimeter, the structure is protected by a metal grill or other material.
To remember at once - the balcony is adjacent to the wall and has glazing on three sides, and the balcony on one side only and is inside the building
Loggia, in contrast to the balcony, is part of a building that is open from one or several sides. Usually the loggia has two side walls and an open facade. Both the loggia and the balcony can be open or glazed. Photos of the design of the loggia attached to the kitchen can be seen below.
On the blank wall of the loggia you can place an additional closet
Nuances of redevelopment
In the process of developing redevelopment kitchen should consider a number of nuances:
- The "endurance" of the balcony, i.e. maximum allowable weight that can support its foundation. When combining a kitchen with a loggia, this moment can be missed.
- The need for glazing and insulation. This is worth taking care of the merging process.
- The possibility of removal of the central heating battery. In some cases on the loggia is allowed to install the battery. On the balconies is prohibited. Photo repair kitchen with loggia presented below.
Former balcony sill can be used as an additional work surface or table
Tip! Replace the central heating battery on the balcony can compact electric heater or installing a system of heated floors.
Many people are interested in the question of how to connect the kitchen with a balcony. Before starting work related to the dismantling of partitions, a project of redevelopment should be drawn up, the neighbors' consent should be obtained at the general meeting of the house and a special permit from the state bodies. If the owners do not want to spend all this time, you can use the services of specialized companies that will prepare all the permits as soon as possible.
White interior and panoramic windows on the balcony will make the room more spacious.
If there is a partition between the kitchen and the balcony, then after receiving permission, it is completely removed. If the wall is a carrier, then the owners will be given permission to dismantle the door and window opening. Part of the wall under the windowsill, as a supporting structure, will have to leave.
Bar counter can be fitted along the window
Balcony space use options
Before the start of repairs, you should decide on how the balcony area will be used, what furniture will be placed on it. Ideas for kitchen design with a balcony can be seen in the photo.
The balcony can be turned into a small dining room by setting there a table and chairs. Perhaps there will even fit a bench, small sofa or kitchen corner. Guests and family members will comfortably sit in a cozy corner and enjoy the view from the window. In this case, the hostess will be able to freely move around the kitchen: those sitting at the table will not interfere. Photos of beautiful kitchen designs, combined with a balcony, can be seen below.
An example of a kitchen that goes into the dining room on the balcony
On the balcony you can take part of the headset. If you place a work surface along the windows, natural light will fall on it, facilitating the cooking process.
If the balcony is narrow, then you can embed it in the working area.
The hostess will be able to chop vegetables and wash dishes, admiring the scenery outside the window. This layout option has a couple of minuses:
- We'll have to abandon the mounted headset modules, or place them along the walls;
- There may be problems with obtaining permission to carry out to the balcony part of the communications: water supply, sewage, gas pipes. Photo planning kitchen on the balcony can be seen below.
A stylish way to use a balcony is to turn it into a bar. A long tabletop can be attached along the windows, and high bar stools can be placed next to it. The bar counter can be made from a part of the wall, which until the dismantling of the window openings served as a window sill. If you increase the size of the tabletop, then under it you can install a cabinet for storing alcoholic beverages. On the slopes of the former sill, you can install shelves and place on them, for example, flower pots, or beautiful dishes.
Tip! An interesting idea is to use the window sill as a shelf for a large fish tank. The only negative - the atmosphere of the kitchen may not be suitable for their stay.
Turning a balcony into a bar is a modern and fashionable solution, more suitable for young couples who like to invite friends. For large families with children, this layout is impractical. Photos of kitchen design with a balcony and a bar are presented below.
On the balcony, you can install wall cabinets and floor cabinets to store in them rarely used kitchen utensils. If cabinets of any size can fit on the loggias, then it is better to make them for the balcony to order. The interior design of the kitchen, combined with a balcony, can be seen in the photo.
Place to install household appliances
Bringing large household appliances to the area adjacent to the kitchen is a popular solution. It allows you to free up some of the useful kitchen space. The most important thing is not to sacrifice convenience. So, if carrying out to the balcony of a washing machine or dishwasher is fully justified, then installing a refrigerator there violates the rules of ergonomics. In the process of cooking various dishes the hostess has to constantly move between three points: a stove, a sink and a refrigerator. If you put the refrigerator in another room - cooking time will be spent more. Photos of the design of a small kitchen with a balcony can be seen below.
The balcony part of the combined transformation can be turned into any other room, for example, by making of it:
- Fiction So mom will be able to look after playing children, without being distracted from the cooking process.
- Winter garden, arranging flowers with live plants on the windowsills and shelves. You can organize on the territory of the combined room mini-garden, planted in pots: onions, garlic, parsley, pepper, cucumbers, and more.
- Rest room, setting there a sofa, a couple of chairs, a small table. So the hostess will have the opportunity to rest from work. The design of the kitchen-living room, combined with a balcony can be seen in the photo.
Design a small kitchen with a balcony door
Rational use of the balcony space is possible without dismantling the partition and merging with the kitchen. So, in the summertime, a non-heated or unglazed balcony can carry light plastic chairs with a table and have a tea party in the open air. Kitchen design with a door leading onto the balcony can be seen in the photo.
If the kitchen is small and dark, then in the process of repair it is recommended to use the following tips.
- Glaze the balcony so that you can safely go out in the winter. The installation of French windows in the entire height of the room will help to add light to the room. Kitchen design with access to the balcony can be seen in the photo.
- Sliding glass doors between the kitchen and the balcony. Due to the transparent surface in the kitchen will be a lot of light. Sliding doors in an open position occupy a minimum of space, allowing you to install furniture close to the balcony.
- Use the window sill as a work surface. It is possible to make a desktop longer by installing a worktop that is foldable or pulled out from a window sill. Kitchen design with a balcony door can be viewed in the photo.
The division of the combined premises into several functional zones allows you to more accurately beat the interior design. There are many ways to zoning.
It is possible to fence the kitchen part of the room from the balcony using a partition, which can be moved apart like a compartment. So you can at any time isolate the adjacent room from the noise, odors, heat and steam that occur during cooking. Kitchen design with a balcony with partitions can be viewed on the photo.
Partitions can be made of glass, wood, chipboard or plastic with glass inserts. It is illogical to use a completely blank wall: the kitchen will be left without a source of natural light.
Glass partitions are:
- Transparent. They look airy, let in the kitchen all the sunlight.
- Matte. They pass a lot of light, but at the same time hide what is happening behind the glass from prying eyes.
- Colored. Can be a bright accent of the room. Such partitions will look spectacular in styles such as high-tech or modern. The interior of the kitchen, combined with a balcony in a modern style, is presented in the photo.
- With patterns or drawings. Abstract color patterns will suit the modern style, and drawings with images of flowers or nature - to the classic.
Multi level floor
If there is a threshold between the balcony and the kitchen, you can leave it. It is recommended to lay the heating system on the floor of the hinged part of the apartment, and level the floor to the threshold level. The resulting podium will divide the areas of the joint premises.
One of the most popular ways of zoning is the erection of the arch. This architectural element looks beautiful, occupies a minimum of space, does not block access to natural lighting. Most often, home arches are made of inexpensive plastic material - drywall. The design of the kitchen, combined with a loggia with natural light can be seen in the photo.
The arch will look beautiful in any interior style. For classicism, a wide arch of a rounded symmetrical shape is suitable, for hi-tech or minimalism - a square shape, for modernity - a wave-like shape. Naturally the arch in the apartment issued in east style will look.
Tip! The arch will look much more effective if you embed inside its lighting system.
A balcony or a loggia is always an extra space in the apartment that can be used rationally. Combining the kitchen with an additional area, you can create an original interior and decorate it in any style you like.
To do this, it is necessary to determine the function that the balcony will perform, and select the appropriate method for distinguishing two functional zones.