Types of coffee makers
- History of creation
- What is it for?
- Main types
- Criterias of choice
- Additional functions
- Major brands
- Care and troubleshooting
- Customer Reviews
An interesting trend has been gaining momentum lately: people are beginning to abandon the achievements of technical progress in favor of something that has already seemed forgotten. Affected this flow and the food industry. Take, for example, a drink, without which many people absolutely cannot start their day - coffee. The shelves in the shops are filled up with various bags of soluble powders, which are sufficient to pour into boiling water - quickly, simply and tasty. However, an increasing number of people remember how this drink was brewed before, and they purchase coffee makers to make this process a pleasant part of their daily routine.
History of creation
The process of creating a coffee maker begins in ancient times and comes from the Arab world. There for the brewing of coffee there was a special metal scoop - a Turk, which was heated on the fire. This process was not fast, and the rhythm of life rapidly accelerated - humanity needed to speed up and simplify the cooking of an invigorating drink. Then came the first "drip" coffee maker, the principle of which lies in the boiling water coming in through the filter with ground coffee. The authorship of the invention is attributed to the French priest de Bellua.
In the thirties of the XIX century, the filtration, and then the first geyserny aggregate appeared. Excellent result was obtained due to repeated steam seepage through freshly ground coffee. In 1901, in Italy, they patented an espresso coffee machine, and in 1945 this model was supplemented with a piston. The high pressure created inside the machine made it possible to brew coffee with a lush layer of foam. The first models were characterized by increased explosiveness, moreover, they did not preserve the aroma and taste of coffee beans. The latest coffee machines do not have these drawbacks and allow you to brew flavored coffee with bright flavors.
What is it for?
The range of modern coffee makers is huge, manufacturers compete, saturating their models with more and more functions. It is convenient to use such units at home, in the office, even in shopping centers everywhere they install coffee machines that allow you to refresh yourself with a charge of vigor on the run.
In such a modern coffee pot you can not only make coffee of any kind, but also mix cream for cappuccino, make delicious cocktails and much more.
On sale now it is easy to detect a huge number of all kinds of coffee machines used to make different types of drinks, with their own advantages and disadvantages.
There are such basic types of coffee makers:
- Drip. The principle of action is based on gradually dripping boiling water in a bag of ground coffee. Then the drink goes to the coffee pot. The slower the filtering, the stronger the coffee. The advantages of this unit are its low cost and intuitive use. The disadvantages include the need to use only ground product, not very high quality of the resulting beverage and the need for frequent cleaning of the coffee tank. In addition, these units often have low power, so they are not suitable for large families.
- Rozhkovy. Suitable for cooking "espresso". Ground coffee in such devices is poured into a plastic or metal horn - holder, where from it under the action of high vapor pressure a very strong drink is produced (this method of making coffee is called a purover). Most often, these units are equipped with a special nozzle that allows you to make also a cappuccino - coffee with lush milk foam.
The disadvantages of this type of apparatus include the risk of getting burned with concentrated steam and the need to possess certain skills, because if you tamp the powder incorrectly, the drink will be weak and non-aromatic.
- Capsular. In such units, special capsules are used (in some models, capsules are replaced with special compressed coffee tablets) with a ready-made mixture, which are pierced and then mixed with boiling water under the influence of a jet of steam. These universal devices are very convenient, even an inexperienced person will be able to use them. In addition, a wide range of different capsules allows you to make at home a variety of types of coffee: cappuccino, American, espresso and others. Significant disadvantages include the high cost of such equipment (more expensive than rozhkovye) and the periodic lack of commercial special capsules.
- Geyser. There are electric and non-autonomous (bask on the stove). The design of such devices consists of two sections, between which there is a special filter. The bottom is filled with water, the coffee is placed in the filter. Water boils and steams seep through the coffee, saturates it and accumulates in the upper compartment, from where the drink is poured into cups. In the assortment there are models with different capacities and volumes of compartments, which allows you to choose a unit that prepares coffee for one person or for the whole family. The quality of the drink is quite high, but the disadvantages include the need to monitor the amount of grinding, as too small particles clog the filter.
- "French press". Differs the most simple device, often for the similarity in the principle of action is called "Vietnamese coffee maker." Usually it has the form of a glass flask with a piston mechanism, where boiling water is poured, and after a few minutes you can enjoy a drink. Portable device suitable for use on the road, as it does not need to be connected to the mains. The downside is the low quality of the drink - in fact, it almost does not differ from ordinary instant coffee.
- Lever. The semi-automatic device intended for brewing espresso. The pressure is created using a mechanical lever (lever). The person presses on the pump, due to which a valve opens, supplying boiling water from the boiler to the device filter. Then the lever is released, the piston moves down and drives the water through the filter, while the internal pressure increases significantly. The dimensions of the filter and the power of the mechanism affect the final quality of the drink.
- Espresso coffee maker. It is considered professional equipment. Hot steam passes through the ground grain under sufficiently high pressure. Some models allow you to cook several drinks at the same time. The disadvantages include a very high cost and the need for regular replacement of components.
- Combined. The device combines the capillary principle of operation and the advantages of an espresso coffee maker. Consists of two autonomous compartments - for coffee and water. For cooking, simply pressing the button. When using high-quality grains, a very high-quality product is obtained, but it is necessary to pay a lot for such an aggregate.
In the combined devices it is often possible to grind and make coffee. In addition, they can replace the usual kettle, due to the possibility of simple boiling water. Manual tuning allows you to save the necessary parameters for subsequent preparations, which greatly speeds up and simplifies the process.
Many manufacturers offer built-in models that are located in a special niche and do not violate the overall appearance of the kitchen. The main difficulty associated with installing an integrated coffee maker is its high price.
Criterias of choice
When looking at the modern range of coffee makers, the eyes diverge, however, there are several basic parameters that need attention, and which will help not to be mistaken in the choice of this device. Several basic characteristics of the coffee machine, determining its quality:
- Power. The more powerful the device, the faster and stronger the drink will be prepared.
- Pressure. Another important parameter that determines the taste of coffee and the time required for its production. There is no pressure in drip coffee makers, but it is quite high in espresso coffee makers due to a special evaporator.
- Volume. He is responsible for how many people can be drunk at the same time with a coffee drink. There are small models for one cup, and there are more bulky devices. Large-sized devices are most often installed in cafes and restaurants catering.
- Filter. The cost of the unit largely depends on the filter material. The simplest and cheapest options are made of paper, and the most expensive ones are made of titanium.
- Beverage Strength Adjuster. An innovative option that allows you to adjust the level of strength of coffee by controlling the temperature of the liquid, the speed of its receipt and the amount of coffee powder per serving.
- Material parts and housing. It is better to choose models with a glass flask, since plastic when heated can release harmful substances and spoil the taste. Some parts can be metal or steel, there are units with stainless steel compartments. Stainless steel devices are particularly durable and resistant to negative external influences.
- The presence of the display. Another feature that makes the process of using the machine more convenient. The screen shows the time remaining until the end of cooking, the water temperature, the set parameters are shown. If the model is equipped with a timer, you can see on the display the time after which the auto power off will occur, which will save electricity consumption.
- Heated cups. It is believed that pouring coffee into a heated cup contributes to a better opening of the aroma. Some models are equipped with a special thermocup for this purpose.
Each manufacturer tries to make its products as attractive as possible for the customer, and therefore tries to saturate the manufactured units with additional functions. Such options increase the cost of the unit, so it is recommended to carefully consider whether they are needed and whether it is worth paying more for them. Included with some models are accessories, such as: measuring spoon or container for storing coffee.
Of course, these things can be useful in the household, but perhaps for their sake it is not worth emptying the wallet.
There are “Smart” models with remote control and alarm clock, Allowing you to make coffee preparation for a certain time and wake up from the smell of a freshly brewed drink A nice bonus is the function of heating and auto-off, which will keep the mugs warm before drinking the drink.
For those who like to raid the kitchen at night, the function of highlighting the cooking area will be useful. Gourmets who believe that before brewing coffee you need to soak, like the pre-wetting option - it is believed that such a preparatory process helps the taste to open up better.
A truly important characteristic, which, nevertheless, not every model can boast of, can be called an unheated device base. This will help protect family members from getting burned. Also in a large family, the function of regulating the temperature of the beverage at the outlet can be useful, as some people like piping hot coffee, and some people hardly like warm coffee.
Comparison of manufacturers of household appliances allows you to choose a company responsibly suited to the level of quality of its products. Each company offers a wide range of different models from fairly affordable options to premium technology.
- Currently the leader in the production of good coffee machines is considered Guggia company. It supplies the market with automatic coffee makers, featuring a combination of high quality and exceptional reliability.
- Functional coffee makers with many additional features offers Saeco Aroma. The boiler model enjoys well-deserved popularity due to its good quality, bright and original design and affordable price.
- The brand Siemens has not remained aloof from the production of such a topical product. One of the positive aspects of the acquisition of goods in this company is the ease of repair if necessary, since the company has a large number of service centers throughout the country.
- The most expensive is Blazer, producing its unique products for over a century. The company uses only its own developments, therefore, the assembly and parts are exclusively original. In addition, the range is constantly updated and complemented by a variety of user-friendly features.
- Miele Coffee Makers they are distinguished by the presence of all the newest options that the consumer may wish. Often they are equipped with a built-in coffee grinder, adjustable portions of water and an electronic display.
- Coffee machines from the brand Panasonic distinguished by high quality assembly, exquisite design and competent set of functions. An additional advantage will be the possibility of purchasing a whole set, made in the same style, consisting of a coffee maker, toaster and kettle.
- Smile Company offers for sale small devices that will perfectly fit into any interior thanks to its discreet and uncluttered design. In addition, we are happy to have the opportunity to pour the drink into two heat-resistant mugs at the same time and enjoy the delicious coffee together. A nice bonus is the measuring spoon applied to each unit.
- In the domestic market, Delta products are gaining popularity. among the samples of small equipment which deserve special attention the line of coffee machines. These are mainly options for easy home use, which are easy to clean and disassemble, for example, the door model. It is very easy to operate such models - no additional skills will be needed.
- Quickly make freshly ground coffee geyser coffee maker from Zepter company. Suitable for use on gas and electric stoves. But it has a small capacity, so it is hardly suitable for large families.
- Good models are offered by Sterlingg. Its products are easy to use and low cost, while the kit includes all the necessary options.
Care and troubleshooting
In the instruction manual, which is applied to each product by the manufacturer, there are specific recommendations for the care of a particular model. You can also select several universal tips that can help extend the life of the coffee maker:
- It is necessary to regularly replace parts, if they become unusable. It is necessary to cancel that in models of a high price category, parts are often made of high-quality materials, therefore some manufacturers promise that repair will not be necessary.
- Do not pour into the bowl liquid is greater than the specified level.
- Also, do not pour too much product in the filter.
- After each preparation of the drink It is recommended to wash the vessels and filter.
According to most reviews, a home coffee machine is a very useful purchase for every kitchen. The modern coffee maker is very convenient to use and allows you to enjoy your favorite high quality drink at any time. Users note that the coffee turns out very tasty, with thick froth, and the simplicity of the device allows the device to be used even by children. In addition, in the majority of responses, the speed of production and the ability to prepare several types of this drink with different strengths are noted with delight. Thus, the purchase of such a coffee machine will be a useful acquisition for any family, and the laconic design will be appropriate to look in any kitchen.
Read more about the coffee maker in the next video.