Kitchen hood box
Not every family thinks about the purpose of the hood box in their kitchen. What is its purpose and objectives? Which is more effective, how to install it correctly and aesthetically? It is worth thinking about these questions, as ventilation in everyday life plays an important role for a person. Let us examine in more detail this topic.
Goal and tasks
- Hide the unsightly look of the ventilation system.
- Giving the hood a graceful look and a concise combination with a kitchen set.
- To isolate the noise emitted by the hood during operation.
- Facilitate and speed up dry and wet cleaning.
- Serve as an additional support system for exhaust design.
- Place in your free space kitchen items.
Types of ventilation
The type of box and the method of its attachment depend on the type and type of ventilation hood itself. Kitchen ventilation is open and closed (built-in) type:
- The open type assumes that all elements of the facade of the hood and the ventilation pipe are located in sight. For this type of ventilation, boxes are not only useful, but also an aesthetic function.
For open type hoods, ducts located in the middle of the kitchen area or adjacent to the wall are provided. In appearance - it is a massive pipe coming from the ceiling. A grate attached to the base of the pipe, usually decorated as a rectangular dome. This type is the most expensive type of box on the market. It should be understood that decorative open ventilation requires a lot of free space in the kitchen area.
- The built-in hood type assumes that most of the ventilation system is invisible. In the open space, only the hood façade remains. The box covers the entire air duct and its elements.
For a closed hood, there are two variants of the box. In the first case, it is a decoration with a conventional design in the form of a wall cabinet of standard size. In the second, it is a box with a telescopic design, which differs from the usual only in that its parts allow it to be extended and unfolded.
Inside the wall cabinet are all elements of ventilation and the pipe. With the correct location of the cabinet, it is possible to place kitchen equipment in it. Built-in hoods are placed above the hob.
In order for the exhaust hood to look succinctly with a kitchen unit, it is necessary to choose the right dimensions for it. Since most of the decorator for the hood is made according to standard sizes, respectively, it is necessary to calculate the width, depth and height of the structure:
Width - 500 mm; depth - 280 mm; height - 650 mm. These sizes are minimal by standard, these values can be increased proportionally to each other if necessary or desired by the hostess of the kitchen.
The depth of the box is calculated based on the size of the hood itself. If you intend to place kitchen utensils in a wall cabinet, then this fact should be taken into account in advance when calculating the dimensions of the future cabinet. The required number of millimeters will need to be added in depth, given the size of the wall cabinets, which are already located in the kitchen.
When determining the height of the box, you must consider the design of the interior of the kitchen room as a whole, as well as the availability of free space. Perhaps it will be cumbersome, or it will produce the minimum acceptable parameters. It is important that the height from the hob to the hood panel ranged from 65 cm to 85 cm. These dimensions are recommended for the full operation of the ventilation system, which will affect the comfort of cooking. Dimensions of the exhaust duct should provide the necessary space for additional construction details.
When the dimensions are calculated, it is necessary to determine the material of the decorator of the hood. You should not save on the acquisition of quality material, as this box is designed to serve for several years. It will be exposed to various influences: sunlight, temperature changes, chemical treatments, strikes, etc. It is necessary to take care of this in advance, spend less nerves, effort and money.
The material for decorating the exhaust system, as a rule, corresponds to the material of the installed kitchen unit. Plastic, wood, plasterboard, metal are most often used.
- Plastic box is made of PVC. This material is small in mass and durable in everyday life. PVC product is environmentally friendly, resistant to chemical reactions, relatively durable and resistant to sudden temperature changes. Plastic has proven itself as an easy-to-assemble and easy-to-use material.
Due to its flexibility, a PVC box can be made of any shape (round, square, triangular, rectangular). It is easy to combine with a stretch ceiling, decorative wallpaper. The negative side of the plastic box - the high price.
- It is possible to make a wooden hood box with your own hands. Based on the type of wood from which the future construction will be, the weight category is very different. There is a light weight tree, there is a very heavy one. It is worthwhile to foresee this fact so that the mount will hold steadily.
Wooden box is not durable in operation and causes difficulties in cleaning. Sediment dust must be removed more often, otherwise it will penetrate into the upper layer of wood. When struck, a wooden product is strong enough, with chemical reactions is not always resistant. In addition, wood is not a flexible material, respectively, the construction will be either square or rectangular.
Since this material is an assistant, you can use the old wardrobe or bedside table as the construction details. This will significantly reduce your costs.
- A drywall box is used very often, as this material has a lot of advantages. For example: low cost in the market; used material can be used; easy to assemble; small weight category. The material is durable, durable, relatively flexible. With it, you can gracefully hide the flaws of the corrugated duct.
- Metal decor for the hood has its positive and negative sides. The box, made of stainless steel (steel, aluminum), is very strong and durable, which allows it to operate for many years. The metal is covered with a special polymer composition, or paint, which allows you to care for it without much effort. This is a flexible material that will allow the hostess of the kitchen to fantasize and experiment endlessly.
Negative sides - iron box difficult to mount; it does not absorb noise, but amplifies it; expensive in price and heavy in weight. As a rule, metal construction is used in industrial and specialized kitchen premises.
When the material for the box is selected, the next step is the assembly assembly of the structure. This requires special tools. The choice of tools will depend on the selected material for the box. When the tools are in place, you can take action:
- Preparations are being made. It is necessary to carefully cut the material on the specified parameters. Prepare metal corners for fastening the walls of the box.
- Marking is made on the wall, starting from the top.
- When the parts and markings are ready, we install the structure starting from the side walls, ending with the back wall and the middle shelf. The middle floor serves as an additional support system.
- On the assembled box it is necessary to process the seams for normal operation.
- After all the work is completed, you can attach the door. The exhaust duct has either one door or two.
- When the box is ready, you can begin to decorate.
In order for the finished design of the hood box to harmonize well with the overall interior of the kitchen, it is necessary to decorate it skillfully. There are several trim options. If the kitchen set is new, then the box from a new material of plastic, metal or wood can be left as is. In the case of an old headset, leaving the original appearance of the material is not worth it, it will stand out a lot.
There are all the various self-adhesive wallpaper and films that can be safely glued to the box. They come in a variety of colors, ranging from white to black. There are wallpapers with a picture and without.
In the shops of the city you can find decorative artificial stone and tile. Stone decoration is more suitable in a large spatial kitchen room. For example, in a studio apartment, where decorative stones or tiles will also be placed on the walls.
A carton of drywall is usually first puttyed, then ground, then paint is applied (gouache, watercolor, oil, etc.). In general, there are many options, it remains only to choose the appropriate one. Also on the market are models of finished exhaust systems, for example, exhaust «Jet Air». If you do not have the time and desire to do it yourself, you can buy ready-made, excellent quality “Jet Air” hoods.