Air duct for exhaust in the kitchen
The best solution for the hot humid air exhaust system along with fumes and odors that rise from the stove, is a kitchen hood connected to the ventilation standpipe.
You can also carry out the conclusion on the street, if it allows the location of your kitchen. All you need to do is to lay a channel along which output will be carried out.
The exhaust air duct in the kitchen is a tube-like construction through which the air flows from one point to another. These products may vary in several characteristics:
- on production material: plastic and corrugation;
- by the size of sections;
- sectional shapes: rectangular, round, flat;
- in terms of flexibility.
Plastic pipes can have a rectangular or circular cross-section. The best option for the kitchen interior are rectangular products. However, according to experts, the most productive are exactly round ducts, because they have the lowest resistance to air.
No matter what type of duct you choose, you will need to buy several types of adapters. Look at the adapters that are installed on the outlet of the hood from the duct and on the adapters attached to the outlet to the ventilation. To fit adapters tightly, use a simple sealant.
Plastic pipe cutting can be done with a hacksaw. Connecting nodes to most customers during installation does not cause much difficulty.
Advantages of plastic pipes:
- in such pipes there is a low noise level from the functioning of the ventilation system;
- fat, soot and dirt do not accumulate due to the smooth surface;
- product life is more than 10 years;
- pipes from plastic do not need additional leaving;
- due to the light weight of the structure, an auxiliary load on the exhaust device is not created.
Made from flexible corrugated aluminum tube
These pipes are made from thin aluminum. Of the minuses can be noted the appearance of the structure. Not every buyer will like that there is a metal pipe in his kitchen. In this regard, the installation of corrugated pipe is combined with the masking of the structure.
The advantages of products include:
- ease of installation. Corrugated pipes are easy to cut, they bend at any angles and secured with special clamps;
- in such a pipe there is no resonant hum;
- these products have a low price when compared with plastic construction;
- due to the fact that the design does not have sharp bends, increases the performance of the ventilation system.
- The corrugated pipe is produced in the form of a small piece that can stretch over a considerable length.
Steel air ducts are made from galvanized and stainless steel grades. As kitchen products galvanized pipes have become very popular. It should be noted that this type of pipe becomes less popular every year.
Of the advantages we can note the following qualities:
- surface smoothness. Due to this, dirt and soot does not get stuck in the pipes, and the air flow does not slow down as it moves through the pipes;
- products are able to withstand high temperatures;
- low price.
If we talk about the shortcomings of steel pipes, then these include:
- heavy weight. Installation will require additional fasteners;
- in order to seal the channels, it is necessary to additionally purchase special solutions;
- if your duct has a complicated type of shape, you will need to cut the pipe;
- loud noise when working.
To a variety of rectangular ducts include flat products. They attract with their compact size, due to which they are easy to hide. There are three standard sizes:
- 110x55 mm. This size is used for work with an extractor with a capacity of no more than 300m3 / h;
- 120x60mm Such a construction can miss more air, but not more than 350 m3 / h;
- 206x60 mm. These products are the largest. Their installation is carried out to the hood with high performance, when you need a high level of air purification from smell.
It is best to choose a duct with the same or larger diameter than the output parameters from the hood. When using a pipe of smaller diameter, the ventilation performance deteriorates. Along with this, the noise level will increase, the exhaust motor will operate in an enhanced mode. These components will lead to rapid wear of equipment.
A minimum amount of bends should be present throughout the duct. With their presence it is necessary to observe an angle of no more than 90 degrees, since each angle lowers the performance by 10%.
The total length of the duct should not be more than three meters. Each meter reduces the efficiency of the ventilation system by 10%.
What is the difference between exhaust and ventilation
For residential premises there are certain sanitary norms that determine the air exchange in the room. To fulfill these requirements, every house must have a ventilation system that will be responsible for the air circulation. It is worth noting that this system is unsuitable for eliminating strong odor and smoke, because it functions on the basis of the natural exchange of air.
Only the kitchen hood can provide local air discharge. This design is installed in a room where there is an increased accumulation of unpleasant odors. Such equipment removes steam that rises from the surface of the stove and with the help of an air duct takes them into the exhaust duct from the general ventilation system. This is the difference between the hood and the ventilation system.
Today extracts are divided into several types:
Flat suspended hood is installed under the hanging cabinets or above the stove. Outwardly, they resemble the previously existing Russian air purifiers. Most manufacturers put in this equipment grease filter, which is made of acrylic fabric. Such filters are disposable and need to be changed periodically. Such hoods are gradually becoming a thing of the past, being replaced by modern devices with cleaning filters.
Before you start the assembly of the duct, you need to determine the size of the future design. To implement the optimal selection of boxes, you must fulfill several requirements:
- The number of turns of the duct should be minimal, because each bend lowers the efficiency of the kitchen hood by 10%. Experts recommend installing no more than three knees.
- Make the air pipe collapsible, as it periodically needs to be cleaned.
- When installing corrugated boxes can be used as fastening ordinary clamps.
- Do not use a deaf type of fastening the duct to the ventilation grille. If the box fits snugly, then during the period when the ventilation system is turned off, the natural circulation is disturbed. To avoid this, it is necessary to install a special ventilation grille with a hole and a built-in check valve.
- Do not use channels of different sizes. You will need special adapters that reduce the performance of the system as a whole.
- The most attractive appearance have rectangular boxes.
If you are thinking about the question of how to combine the duct with the interior of the kitchen most harmoniously, you will need to competently hide the structure. There are several ways to do this:
- The easiest way is to place the pipes behind a wall cabinet. You can also position the structure behind the furniture or above it. This method is the most affordable.
- If your kitchen has a two-level ceiling, you can install the air duct between the levels. If there is a hinged ceiling, it is better to place the structure above it. In this case, the air path will not be visible.
- To hide the pipes, you can use a special type of rectangular box type. When experimenting with the color scheme in the interior and installing pendant lamps, you can significantly transform the kitchen. At the same time, you will retain quick access to the pipe if repair is necessary.
- Simple painting of pipes in a color that fits most harmoniously into the overall interior also takes advantage of relevance. With the help of modern materials you can fit the air duct into the interior of your kitchen.
- by masking over the false ceiling. With such a ceiling, you can easily hide all pipes in a horizontal direction. A special casing is put on the vertical products, which is covered with the same material as the ceiling;
- use a decorative box. Today in stores there are a large number of types of housing, which differ in shape, color and option. You can dilute the box spotlights;
- if you install the air duct simultaneously with the purchase of furniture in the kitchen, you can install pipes inside the cabinets;
- some owners are self-made drywall boxes. Coming from the interior of the kitchen, the whole structure is painted in the required color or glued with wallpaper.
These methods will help to effectively hide the pipes from the eyes, thereby harmoniously fitting the design into the interior of the kitchen.
Features of DIY installation
If you decide to install an air duct with your own hands, then this process consists of several stages:
Initially, you should determine the place where the duct will be mounted. This site requires preparation. Installation of the hood is carried out in place, based on the model purchased. Use a tape measure to measure the required level of installation. After that you can apply the markup.
If you are unable to make the required level because of the surface of the cabinet, which is installed above the stove, you will need to cut it a little. In most cases, you will be able to determine the height of the lower part of the hood using the device's motor. As a rule, the size is 0.5-0.7 meters.
When you check the level of placement of the structure and put down the marks, you can proceed to sawing off the side parts of the cabinet to the required length. As tools, you can use an electric jigsaw, in which there is a file on the tree "clean cut".
At the expense of this device you can carry out drank good quality. If you are unable to find such a device, an ordinary hacksaw can replace it.
These works can be started only when you removed the cabinet from the wall. To obtain a high quality surface, when interacting with hand tools, you need to observe an angle of 20-30 degrees between the working area and the surface of the cabinet. If this condition is not fulfilled, then chipped pieces will appear on the back, which will affect the aesthetics of the furniture.
To install a through-type duct from metal, you will need to make a hole of a large diameter. The role of a metal duct can be a corrugation or a pipe with a smooth surface. In the place where it is planned to form the hole, you need to attach the flange. It will play the role of a template, which marks the holes.
Drill with a drill on wood with diameters of 8 mm will need you to drill a through hole inside the intended markup.
In the hole formed, you need to insert a file from an electric jigsaw, with which you should cut the required component according to the markup.
In the event that you picked up a suitable file, the cutting quality will be as high as possible. Otherwise, additional processing of edges with sandpaper is required. After this procedure, you can install the prepared locker in place.
To provide a motor with electric energy and equipment with lighting, engage in connecting wires from the hood to the network. Attaching a ventilation system to its location is the penultimate step in the installation of the duct. You will need to install the device body, the implementation of markup for mounting. Form a hole with a diameter of 2/3 of the screw. After that, you can hang the body structure.
When you complete the installation of the hood, connect the duct to it with steel clamps. Now you should check the operation of the system.
With the help of this guide, you can do the installation of the air duct yourself, saving on the services of specialists.