How to decorate the interior of a house or apartment in the Renaissance style?
Renaissance style in the interior - an ideal option for owners of country houses, eager to turn their home into a luxurious palace. Having received its name in the Renaissance, this direction brought to the art of medieval Europe a lot of new things, it was filled with faith in the unlimited possibilities of man. Renaissance manifested itself in architecture, painting, sculpture, in the art of decorating their own homes.
Features of the Renaissance style in the interior
Characteristic features of this area are as follows:
- clear, logical design with proportional harmonious shapes;
- monumentality, expressiveness, solemnity;
- symmetry, giving the interior lightness and airiness (one central element, for example, a table or a fireplace, around which the entire symmetrical composition is built, and this is not necessarily the center of the room or wall);
- antique ornaments and elements on the ceiling and walls (for example, herbal compositions in the form of vines, wreaths, leaves, borrowed from ancient Roman motifs, ancient sculptures);
- dwellings with a steep or flat roof, various turrets and superstructures, arched galleries, round ribbed domes;
- inside large rooms, with high ceilings, rounded arches, bay windows, columns, pilasters; huge semicircular windows with rectangular completion, reminiscent of paintings, coffered ceiling;
- a variety of geometric shapes in decorating various surfaces (circles, squares, octagons, crosses);
- horizontal division of the interior;
- magnificent marble stairs;
- grotesque on the basis of ornaments, arabesques, braids, garlands, griffins, cupids are additional attributes of the Renaissance, emphasizing its rich decorative furniture.
Tip: decorating your house or apartment in the Renaissance style, pay attention even to small things; decorate the walls of your home with copies of works by famous Renaissance masters - Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael Santi, Michelangelo Buonarotti and others.
- majolica - ceramics with a picturesque decor (medallions with portraits, signs of heraldry, chinaware);
- rich textiles, intricate draperies, pelmets, smooth fabrics with appliqués and silk embroidery, twisted cords;
- use of Venetian glass;
- the color palette is soft, without abrupt transitions, lack of contrasts (bright spots are completely excluded, otherwise the unity of style will be broken), complete harmony of shades smoothly turning into each other, creating an intimate soothing, comfortable mood.
Photo: candelabra-shaped lamps emphasize renaissance style
Photo: Renaissance Dining Room
Smooth stone, marble, sandstone, various variations of plaster on one of the walls are used as materials for finishing the walls (the surface remains smooth).
Natural stone is expensive, replace it with an artificial material that imitates the texture and color of natural stone.
Walls can be decorated with fabrics (velvet or brocade) or embossed leather.
Niches, an element of an interior pertinent to this direction, can be decorated with frescoes, bronze statuettes, and gilded stucco molding. Also, the surface is decorated with carved wood, light and dark shades, with light smooth patterns. The maximum possible walls are decorated with paintings.
Photo: painting the walls in the interior hallways
The ceiling is made in the form of arches. On it put the drawing imitating a stone or marble tile. You can create multi-level structures, the center of which is painted in accordance with the chosen style.
Tip: Be sure to decorate the ceiling with gilded stucco, it will be a bright touch of the Renaissance design.
Such an interior will emphasize the coffered ceiling, made of natural wood or decorated under it.
Photo: coffered ceiling, made of natural wood
Ceramics that imitate stone or marble are ideal for Renaissance floors. You can put a carpet on it, which will reduce the perception of the interior.
As a flooring, you can use parquet made of natural wood, the breed of which must match the overall interior. Most suitable large massive board.
Furniture must have a clear form, a clear construction. It is decorated with a large number of architectural elements with gilding. The main piece of furniture is a chest-cassone (chest inlaid with various wood species, painted, and gilded). Relevant for the interior in the style of the Renaissance buffet, desk, secretary, sliding table, upholstered in leather, velvet or brocade chairs. An additional element of the room can be metal openwork chairs.
Tip: use artificially aged furniture to decorate your house, you can use wrought iron, ivory decor elements or its imitation, massive chandeliers.
The Renaissance in the interior makes the home chic, beautiful, overwhelms it with dignity.
An apartment or a country house in the Renaissance style is distinguished by its rich decoration, a variety of architectural elements, wall and ceiling paintings, inlaid furniture, and royal luxury. At the same time, it is necessary to keep in mind the observance of clear and harmonious forms.