How to distinguish the style of minimalism in the hallway?
Architects, designers who create the layout of apartment buildings, allocate a very small area under the entrance hall. Although this modest room is designed to perform several important functions. Firstly, the space behind the entrance door is a reflection of the whole house, giving an idea of the tastes, preferences and character of the owners of the dwelling. Secondly, the hall should contain outerwear and shoes for everyone who lives in the apartment or comes to visit. Finally, striving to be home as soon as possible after a hard working day, a person first finds himself in the hallway, which, if properly designed, can charge you with a positive for the whole evening, or it can completely spoil your mood.
Very often, the only way to make a small hallway a design in the style of minimalism becomes a beautiful, cozy and functional room. It has several distinctive features due to which you will not confuse it with other areas of decoration.
- Colour. A typical minimalist design accepts no more than three colors that contrast with each other. The basis is often taken white, milky or light beige color. They look good with any options of contrasting tones, which are selected in accordance with the tastes and preferences of the owners of the house.
Tip: To dilute a strict two- or three-color interior, use one or two bright decorative elements. For example, you can hang mirrors on the wall in bright frames or paint the shelf for different things in juicy color. However, do not get carried away, minimalism does not accept a lot of jewelry.
- Furniture. A minimalist hallway should have as few pieces of furniture as possible. It is good if it will be a shoe shelf and a wardrobe with sliding mirrored doors for outerwear. Mirror can be made and the vertical surface of the shoemaker, then the space will acquire additional volume. In general, furniture made in this style is distinguished by straight lines and geometrically regular shapes, while performing several functions at the same time.
Photo: wardrobe with sliding mirrored doors
- Light. Illumination is of primary importance for modeling the space in the style of minimalism. It is assumed the presence of a large number of lamps, the color of merging with the walls and ceiling. The light must be diffused, fill the space with additional volume and maximize it. Ideally, if the transitions from the hallway to other rooms of the apartment will not be limited to the doors, but will be like a continuation of the corridor. You can also remove several partitions (if this is possible by the layout of the house) and combine the entrance area and the room closest to it. Place spotlights, make lighting for furniture - it will give a feeling of spaciousness and empty space.
Photo: spot lighting furniture and hallway
Tip: A good find can be a lamp that reacts to movement. They work on batteries, so they are easy to hang even after finishing.
- Decorations and decor. Minimalism denies the use of decorative elements in the interior. If you really need them, try to pick up any accessories and decorations in the general range of colors. For example, choose a rug near the door in a uniform color, the same color as the floor. The only required item in the interior of this style is a mirror. Thanks to the reflective surface, it multiplies the space in which it is located. Mirrors can be of any shapes and sizes, sometimes even concave and convex specimens are used. With the help of mirrors, you can beat and correct the shortcomings of almost any room; there is a place where imagination can be stolen.
Materials used in decoration
- Walls. The hallway in the style of minimalism is characterized by bright white or light walls without pictures. Therefore, use wallpaper for painting or decorative plaster. These materials are good because they can be repainted several times, updating the interior as needed.
- Paul. The floor surface can be tiled with light or, on the contrary, dark color contrasting the walls. An excellent solution could be the use of self-leveling floors. They have a perfectly smooth surface and reflect light, which again adds volume to space.
- The ceiling. Since minimalist ceilings are welcome in the minimalist style, it is possible to create their configuration with the help of drywall, which is plastered with wallpaper or plastered for painting. Layering is emphasized either by spotlights or by neon tubes hidden in the ceiling design.
Photo: multi-level ceilings in the interiors of the minimalist style hallways
Tip: if you decide to make a multi-level ceiling in the hallway, then use only clear lines without rounded shapes. Various “rounds” do not fit the minimalist style.
Can use stretch ceilings. They are just like self-leveling floors, have a glossy surface and reflect a lot of light.
When choosing a minimalism style for the hallway, try to stick to it in other areas of your house. This design direction is well combined, perhaps, only with the high-tech style, which is just as concise and modern. Other design options can create disharmony and look ridiculous after a bright and well-organized hallway space.