How to arrange in the English style interior of various premises?
When choosing a style for their home, many people browse magazines, study special literature, and dig in the Internet. And sometimes when watching a movie, seeing how the house of the main character is arranged, the person realizes that he wants to have an equipped dwelling too. Remember the old English movies? What a cozy cute home these British! How noble and restrained the apartment looks like the main character! Here it is - aristocratic English style in the interior!
Photo: children's room in the English style
Features of the English style
- The refined English design is a harmonious combination of the Victorian and Georgian trends in the art of decorating the premises. The former is characterized by a rich color palette and rich decoration. For the second - strict antique architecture, restrained color palette, plain walls, symmetrical lines.
- Noble wood is an indispensable element of this style (most often it is mahogany, stained oak, walnut). The walls are sheathed with panels, the room is necessarily furnished with wooden furniture, the eaves and doors must also be wooden; Classic striped wallpaper - a frequent attribute of such an interior.
- Photographs, portraits, family heirlooms adorning the walls and shelves demonstrate the reverent attitude of the English to family traditions and the history of their country.
English style in the interior was formed many centuries ago, when there was still no home appliances. Therefore, it is hidden in special cabinets, so as not to disturb the harmony of style.
In a room truly sustained in this style, you won’t immediately understand when it was decorated: yesterday or a few centuries ago?
Designers recommend decorating rooms to the following categories of people:
- owners of small apartments (the apartment in a traditional English house is not large),
- Those who love the design of a conservative, comfortable home (this is a discreet and aristocratic style),
- collectors of vases, porcelain figurines, napkins, to everyone who loves to occupy every free centimeter of his table with all sorts of things,
- lovers of houses, richly furnished with furniture (minimalist ascetics in the interior of this style is contraindicated),
- bibliophiles (large library, fireplace and armchair - a distinctive feature of the interior).
People reading and collecting books will appreciate English design.
Wall decoration in english style
For decorating the walls using wood panels, paint, wallpaper.
If the walls are painted in bright colors, the furniture should be calm tones, and vice versa.
Spacious rooms can be fully finished with plain wood paneling. This design is expensive: they often use panels that imitate the texture and color of wood. Original stucco around the switches and sockets revive the interior.
The walls are not only painted, they also use wallpaper of traditional colorings (two-tone brocade with a gold pattern on a smooth matte background, flowered, in a wide dark green or dark red stripes, alternating thin and thick stripes). Striped wallpaper - a traditional phenomenon for a good old England.
Tip: Use the wallpaper on the upper half of the wall, the lower part of the paneled wood, it looks quite in English.
Photo: wood paneling of the lower part of the wall will highlight the features of the English style
Photo: fireplace in the interior of the bedroom
Photos: Striped wallpapers are traditional for English style.
Finishing floors in the English interior
In the living room, a parquet floor is used as a floor covering, on which a carpet with a small vegetable pattern of creamy cream color or with a dark shade trim and flowers in light colors in the middle is laid.
For the hall, kitchen or bathroom ceramic tiles - the best solution.
Tip: visually enlarge a small room with a small tile laid diagonally.
A large bathroom is decorated with large squares, and a bath on forged legs will be a highlight of the interior of this room.
If it is planned to install a shower stall in the bathroom, then the modern spirit of such a room can be reduced with an engraved door and luxurious wall tiles.
Photo: bath on forged legs will be a highlight of the interior
Photo: flooring with large ceramic tiles
English style furniture
Wooden furniture of classical reserved forms is a prerequisite for the English interior. Ideally fit into the design of the living room set of tables of different heights, they can be removed one into another.
Modern English style in the interior - it is a lot of sofas covered with a motley cloth, a large number of pillows, a stool with curved legs, performing the function of a coffee table.
A fireplace made of carved stone or decorated with dark wood with tile inserts, a console made of dark wood, a bookcase, a chair with “ears” - this is the classic design of the living room in the English style.
Tip: Install a modern electric fireplace, it will perfectly fit into the interior of the living room.
For the bedroom, you can choose one of three bed options: in the form of a rook, with a curved back, a wrought-iron bed, or a luxurious woodwork with a canopy, which rests on four wooden posts. Dark wooden wardrobe, bedside table and lamps in the form of candelabra complement the interior.
Photo: dark wood fireplace in the living room
Lighting and accessories for the English interior
Classic English design does not like bright light. Floor lamps with their subdued light, table lamps, giving a diffused light, dressed in textile lampshades - this is the best option for the English room.
The apartment, designed in this style, should be simply filled up with various trifles: porcelain figurines, photos of family members, favorite pets, napkins, pads, all that the owner deems necessary to flaunt.
Perhaps, this style will seem to someone old-fashioned, but not to lovers of classic interiors, who believe that it is still modern and who want their apartment to look stylish and cozy.