Spout for mixer: types and installation technology
- What it is?
- Popular manufacturers
- How to choose?
- Installation and Repair
- Breakdown prevention
- Useful recommendations
At present, it is impossible to imagine an apartment without a variety of plumbing, which brings comfort to our lives. In each apartment or house there is at least a kitchen sink, and a mixer is installed above the sink - a device for supplying water from a centralized water supply system. This device differs in design, exterior design and material of manufacture. You can easily select the desired model of the desired design and affordable. However, on the other hand, it is impossible to determine by sight the quality and duration of the operation of the device. This requires special knowledge. On sale there are so many mixers with different types of spout, which has different functional purpose.
What it is?
The range of sanitary devices for the kitchen, bathroom is diverse and wide. Different types of faucets differ not only in design and design, but also in spout. This is one of the structural elements of which the drain system consists. It is a curved metal tube through which when opening the tap water flows at the desired temperature and under the required pressure. In everyday life spouts are often called "gander." It is an inseparable element of mixers for all types of sanitary devices. The desired spout is selected in accordance with the purpose and location.
A classic spout is a tube that has a nut for fixing and two or more gaskets. According to the type of mixer, the end of the tube has a different bend angle. At the end of the spout with a round end, it is possible to install an aerostat - filter-nets that serve for spraying water, which makes it possible to use water economically. Tubes in the form of sections have the shape of a square, circle, oval and rectangle. Also the spouts, presented in the range of manufacturers, can be L-shaped, C-shaped, S-shaped and R-shaped. These devices differ in purpose, size, design. Swivel spout is an important part of the universal mixer, as it allows its simultaneous use in the sink, and for filling the bath. Bath spout, which involves switching water to the shower, is equipped with an adapter and a switch, which provides direct transfer of water from the gander to the shower. The switch is manual and automatic. Each type of spout corresponds to a specific mixer model.
So, devices with two taps (faucet or butterfly valve) for hot and cold water are the most popular, the traditional spout is swiveling long. But it is imperfect and has a major drawback - the occurrence of a leak in the sealing zone. The sealing of the rotary joint is carried out by a rubber ring. She quickly comes into disrepair because of the constant turns, and therefore there is a flow.
Spouts for single lever faucets are only short, usually non-rotatable. This type of mixer is also often used in everyday life. They are very easy to use. Water opens and overlaps by raising and lowering the mixer lever. It also saves water by simultaneously shutting off cold and warm water, as well as the ability to adjust the temperature of the water in the faucet. Exhaust spouts are mainly mounted on kitchen faucets, but there are also possibilities for their use in the bath. Exhaust spout allows water to be used not only in the bath, but also in other containers. This type of spout is often complemented by a shower head and can be used in shower enclosures.
In addition to traditional models of spouts in the market of sanitary products, you can see the latest options with improved features.
These models include:
- Set - a new type of shower spout. Made in the form of a watering can, having a connection with a mixer using a flexible hose. The kit includes holders that are mounted with the mixer or separately from it.
- Cascade spout is a modern and extraordinary device. Differs in a double way of installation - for a bathtub and for a wash basin. In accordance with the model has a wide or flat shape. These components create the effect of a waterfall, which gives the interior some exoticism. Cascade spouts supply water from a horizontal hole in the form of a slit or along a fairly wide chute. Thus, the ability to pass water is achieved, and it is quickly drawn into the bath.
- Spring spout - this is the latest innovative achievement of manufacturers of sanitary products. Even in its appearance, it differs from the classic models. Spring spout has the shape of a curved helix. Inside this spiral is placed a hose through which water flows. Having such a design, it easily bends in different directions. These spouts have a stylish design, high price. They are great for modern apartments.
- Designer spouts come in a wide variety of sizes and designs. From the position of an engineering device, they are the simplest, which improves the quality of their work.
By production method, spouts can be divided into tubular, brazed and cast. The tubular spout has the shape of a slightly curved metal tube. The brazed spout differs from the tubular one in its original shape. The manufacture of these spouts requires additional actions - soldering, chrome plating, stripping parts. Cast spouts are the most expensive. They are equipped with all-cast valves, made of high-strength metal, and therefore have an excellent appearance.
Spouts are different sizes and may vary in length, height.
In length, they are divided into:
- Short - up to 20 cm. They can be used only for sinks and bathtubs. Basically, they are not turning. Reliability in operation is their main advantage, which is guaranteed by a small number of structural elements. And their lack is associated with a limited function of use (washing hands, washing) and the inability to draw water for other needs. Another disadvantage is that a short spout directs the water not into the sink, but into the side of the sink, splashing water.
- Medium - from 15 to 23 cm.
- Goose dogs that are longer than 24 cm, which can be 35, 40, 45, 50 cm long, are considered to be long. Long spouts are universal, since their use is foreseen for the sink and for the bath with a single mixer.
The length of the spout is selected depending on the dimensions of the sink, sink.
The height of the spout is also an important factor to be considered, since a low gander is inconvenient to use, and a very high minimizes the working area and splashes water. The height is determined from the base of the mixer body to the outlet.
The height of the spout reaches 90 cm and it can be:
- low - up to 15 cm;
- middle - 15-25 cm;
- high - from 25 cm and higher (up to 90 cm)
Low and medium sizes are recommended only for hand washing and washing, while the high ones have a wider functionality of use, which allows you to draw water in different containers.
There is a huge range of sanitary products on the market represented by various manufacturers, who, by releasing new models, can meet the diverse requirements of customers.
Analyzing consumer demand, the most popular include the following companies:
- Grohe (Germany). In the market since 1936. Products are distinguished by reliability and impeccable quality. Products made of brass have a long warranty period - up to 10 years.
- Jacob Delafon (France). Year of foundation - 1889. They produce products of exclusive design, having European quality at an affordable price.
- Oras (Finland). In the market since 1945. High quality products and the corresponding price.
- Roca (Spain). Produces products since 1917, which is distinguished by the diversity and convenience of models.
- Vidima (Bulgaria). This is a company that has been on the market since 1934. Consumers can learn specific information about the duration of operation of any model in different conditions of its use. Vidima does not seek leadership. Her activity is aimed at a family with average incomes. it produces reliable, uncomplicated and convenient equipment, different style. Her faucets for the Sirius sink series are as good as the expensive German brands.
How to choose?
A faucet is important for every kitchen and bathroom, because without this sanitary device you cannot use a bathtub, a sink, or a sink. Therefore, when buying faucets, you must seriously consider the question of his choice.
In addition to technical indicators, choosing spout for the mixer, you must consider the following facts:
- The dimensions of the room where the faucet is installed, as well as the dimensions of the bath, sink, sink. Spout should not take up much space, at the same time should provide ease of use. Therefore, for bathrooms of a small area, it is recommended to purchase faucets with a long swivel spout, which are simultaneously used in the washbasin and in the bath.
- Spout flow capacity. With a low bandwidth bath is recruited for a long time, and the water cools down. The diameter of the gander affects the throughput - the bigger it is, the faster the water flows. Cascade spouts lead on this parameter among other types, followed by short gosak.
- The installation location of the faucet also plays a role in choosing the model of the spout and depends on the place of use: in the bathroom or in the kitchen. They can be mounted on a sink, bath, sink or wall. When choosing a spout for these premises, it is necessary to take into account equipping them with sanitary fittings and features of their operation. The kitchen is usually installed faucets with swivel goose, which is extremely necessary in the presence of two sinks in the sink. The height of the spout will depend on the depth of the sink, and the length on the size of the sink. A long swivel spout is ideal for the bathtub.
- Appearance. The range of mixers with a variety of design is now very large, so there will be no difficulties with the purchase.
If there is any doubt as to which appliance to choose - swivel or non-rotatable, and the mixer will only serve a sink, wash basin or bathtub, then from the standpoint of durability, a non-rotatable one is preferable. Gander of fixed type has a fixed mount with the body of the mixer, where most often a leak is formed. Also, when choosing a spout, it is necessary to take into account the position of the swiveling gander. When installing it in the bath is better to use the spout located under the body of the mixer. Spout is located at the top, if the faucet is on the sink or sink. Another important indicator in the selection of spout is the material of its manufacture. To determine the material, you need to look at the inner surface of the gander.
Spouts are usually made of anti-corrosion materials:
- Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, has a yellow color. The material is inexpensive and durable.
- Stainless steel. Models made from it are usually inexpensive and available to many buyers.
In addition, a protective coating is applied to the surface of the product. It may be:
- Chrome coating for corrosion protection. It has a high resistance to mechanical damage, oxidation, in addition, it has a beautiful glossy mirror coating. However, there is a small drawback - there are traces of water, hands, etc. on the gloss. There is also a matt chrome coating, on which dirt, handprints and stains are less visible than on glossy.
- Granite - this coating is used more often in the manufacture of kitchen plumbing, at least for bathrooms. He has a stylish look and a lot of colors. It has durability, anti-corrosion effect and sanitary hygienic properties that do not allow harmful bacteria to develop. But this cover has a fairly high price.
- Stainless. His qualities, as well as the appearance is very similar to chrome. However, the coating of stainless materials used in plumbing premium and its price is quite high.
- Brass. Durable, has anti-corrosion properties and a great design with a golden hue. It is quite expensive.
Installation and Repair
The process of installing a new spout instead of spoiled is quite simple.
Stages of work:
- It is necessary to unscrew the locking nut at the base of the spout. To do this, use the wrench or adjustable wrench.
- Unscrew spout from mixer housing.
- Silicone grease or regular or liquid soap is applied to the rubber gasket in the form of a ring at the new spout.
- Spout is inserted into the body of the mixer, pressed, then you need to fasten the nut with a wrench or adjustable wrench. In order not to spoil the appearance of the spout, you can tighten the nut through the fabric.
Spout has basically two major problems. This flow from under the nut and clogged filter aerator. If there was a leak, it means that the gasket between the gander and the mixer body was worn out. To eliminate this defect, you need to replace it with a new one. The gasket is a rubber ring.
Replacement is as follows:
- remove the gander as described above;
- remove worn gasket;
- instead of the old one, a new gasket is put, which should be strictly in the location of the nut;
- apply a small amount of lubricant on the installed gasket and spout;
- The spout returns to the housing and the nut tightens.
The weakened head of water, both cold and hot, is a sign of a clogged aerator.
It is easy enough to repair the spout that does not allow water:
- It is necessary to remove the aerator by hand or key.
- Remove the grids from the filter, leaving two. Usually the filter is clogged with fine suspensions.
- Rinse the mesh and the aerator with running water. If necessary, clean the holes in them with a needle.
- Assemble the aerator in reverse order and screw to spout. Remember to install the gasket between the spout and the aerator. The gasket is installed the same side up as before. There are also nonseparable filters. They just need to wash and put in place.
Another frequently occurring breakdown is the flow in the water switch from the spout to the shower head in the bath mixer. Gaskets also often wear out at this point, which is the cause of the leak. It is located between the body of the mixer and the switch. For replacement, it is better to purchase a paranitic gasket. Paronite, swelling, fills the space inside and thus protects well from water.
Gasket replacement sequence:
- release the switch from the fixing screw;
- remove the switch;
- replace the worn gasket with a new one;
- Wrap a little fum-tape into the place of fastening of the switch with parts of the spout.
Now you can still find a wall-mounted mixer, having a spool switch with a spout to the shower. To eliminate the leak in the spouts of this type, you need to replace the bottom gasket. To do this, unscrew the spool, replace the lower gasket and put the spool in place. Then set the spout. Sometimes the valve leaks. If the outflow flows right here, then, apparently, the crane-box has fallen into disrepair.
- need to remove the cap at the top of the valve;
- unscrew the locking screw;
- remove the valve;
- unscrew the crane-box to find out where the breakdown occurred;
- depending on the type of malfunction, the ring gasket or the crane box is replaced;
- put a valve on top;
- put in place a decorative cap.
For a longer service life of plumbing an important role is played by the prevention of breakdowns. To avoid replacing gaskets in swivel spouts with upper and lower connections, the most crucial decision is to put two different faucets on the bathtub and the sink. The fewer connections at the mixer, the less spout flows. If, being open, the faucet releases a jet of water of weak pressure, it means that there is a problem with the clogging of the aerator or with the faucet. To prevent the occurrence of such a problem, it is necessary to periodically flush the aerator from salt deposits contained in water and dirt. In addition, you need to clean the structural parts of the crane.
One of the most important factors in preventing breakdowns is improving the quality of water in the water supply system. In this case, the installation of a mechanical filter that will purify water from small particles and salts will help. These impurities will not have a detrimental effect on rubber or silicone pads and thereby prolong the service life of the mixer. Another important point of prevention is the periodic replacement of gaskets and seals (after 2-3 years), without waiting for the formation of a leak. When replacing a failed element of the mixer can not use components of poor quality. It is advisable to purchase the original spare parts from a trusted manufacturer.
- When repairing a mixer with a threaded connection of the European standard, it is recommended to use a special adjustable wrench. To protect the mixer from damage, you need to put a cloth on the nut and wrench jaws.
- If when replacing the gasket there are no rubber rings, then the leak can be eliminated without them. To do this, removing the seal, you need to thoroughly dry the spout and the installation location of the gasket. Then fasten a few turns of tape. The thickness of the winding depends on the degree of wear of the rubber rings. As a result, the diameter of the rubber ring increases and provides a reliable seal.
- Sealing plumbing is recommended fum-tape for internal installation, sealing thread, anaerobic sealants. These are the most modern materials. They are used in sealing places where it is difficult to use wrenches when tightening connections.
Sealing can reach 100% if properly used with these seals.
Also watch the video on how to eliminate the leak from the mixer spout.
Modern life imposes its own requirements for sanitary products. Manufacturers are trying to meet the needs of consumers. In addition to conventional plumbing, innovative models appear on the market: with removable and retractable spouts, with special switches, with contactless controls and with a special LED backlight. All this brings comfort and practicality to the life of modern people.