The most popular material for finishing the bathroom over the years remains tile. Due to the diversity of species, it allows you to create a unique design of a large and small room in any style. And it is well demonstrated by numerous photos of the interiors of modern bathrooms.
ceramic tile remains the most popular material for bathroom design
The choice of style for the bathroom
For modern interior designers recommend Scandinavian or urban design. Both are inherent conciseness, restraint, practicality. However, you can not throw off the lights and the eternal classics, and the revived modern, and cutting-edge high-tech.
The classic style has always had many supporters, staying at the height of fashion. Classic bathroom decor allows you to combine a darker tile at the bottom of the wall and light - at the top. Separate them can border from the same collection. A sample of the classic bathroom design is presented in the photo.
Classic bathroom interior with natural stone tiles
You can add it with decorative inserts, panels. Often in the collection there are borders of different types, including - voluminous.
Bathroom in modern classic style
It is characterized by light shades, so often use white or very light materials. It can be white tile, including a textured pattern or imitating brickwork. The interior design will look modern and stylish, as in the photo:
- In dry areas, white or very light tile, lined up to the middle of the wall and ending with an interesting border;
- The rest is painted with moisture resistant paint of light tones - gray, turquoise, violet.
Important! Gray tile, a combination of several of its tones or a combination with white, black is the trend of this year.
White tile in the interior of the bathroom in the Scandinavian style
The floor can be made in black and white using hexagonal tiles, an unusual ornament.
Stylish Scandinavian-style bathroom using tiles of different formats
Loft, or urban style - a modern direction of interior design, which has become popular in recent times. The younger generation is attracted by the lack of "decorations" in the house. The simplicity of the lines, the absence of bright colors - that is what characterizes the style.
Design obliges to emphasize the naturalness of the interior, which came from the factory floor. Imitation on the walls of "bare concrete" - what you need.
To create a modern style in the bathroom, it is better to choose a natural stone or its imitation, for example, porcelain stoneware. The trend of recent times is a large-sized tile with the texture of natural stone or wood. Presented on the photo interiors characterize the design of a modern bathroom with dark tiles.
Brown bathroom tiles in loft style
Important! Dark colors will make the bathroom a smaller area visually even smaller, so a modern loft is better to choose for a large bathroom.
Ultramodern style is often chosen for studio apartments, small dwellings. Hi-tech is the realm of technology and metal. Creating a hygiene room in this style, choose the finish of gray shades, the more they are in trend today. White color, silver inserts, borders, mirror tiles, metal and glass mosaic will be appropriate.
The tile fits perfectly into the high-tech bathroom interior.
This stylization involves the use of pastel colors, shades found in wildlife. In such a neutral in color interior is appropriate to place correctly placed accents in the form of bright color spots (it does not have to be a tile).
Design bathroom in modern style
You can choose inserts, large panels with floral motifs, decorate mirrors and sanitary ware mosaic.
Ceramics on the walls and floor
It is necessary to choose a tile based on the size of the room, the chosen style direction. The color is chosen based on the artistic intent of the interior. Modern tile is presented on the market of finishing materials in various forms, among which tile is a favorite among others, as well as ceramic granite, natural and artificial stone, clinker tiles and other materials for wall decoration.
The popularity of tile is explained by its best properties compared to other materials. The bathroom is very picky about the choice of finishing materials, since it is a room of high humidity, it is subject to temperature changes, steam formation. Not every paint will be able to withstand such an aggressive environment, even more so - wallpaper.
Stone Finishing Benefits
Natural and artificial stone has great advantages, because it has all the necessary properties in order to withstand high humidity:
- Moisture resistance is the first and most important property of a tile. She has the highest rates of resistance to water and steam.
- Environmental friendliness. Neither natural stone nor artificial tile, which is made from natural materials, does not emit substances harmful to humans.
- Durability, strength. With proper installation, the absence of mechanical effects, aggressive types of care, manufacturers guarantee long-term operation - for more than a dozen years.
- Aesthetics. The market of finishing materials offers a huge range of colors, tile forms, creating collections that make it possible to choose material not only for walls, but also for the floor, include decorative elements.
- Ease of care. The tile is not afraid of chemical detergents, making it easy to keep the bathroom clean.
Important! Tile is a universal option, as can be seen from the photo, it allows you to create a design of any stylistic direction.
The disadvantages of stone tiles
If everything was so perfect, the owners of the house, who decided to renovate the bathroom, would not be looking for other options for finishing, except for tiles. However, it also has disadvantages:
- Difficult installation. Without the experience of finishing work it is difficult to lay the tile in the bathroom smoothly and correctly. The help of experts will be required.
- High cost. Simple options are available for the average wallet, mosaic, glass dies and natural stone are many times more expensive, respectively, and the cost of laying tiles will increase.
- From the point of view of the designer, the presence of connecting seams does not always look aesthetically pleasing, the number of which depends on the size of the tile. Grout is used, but over time it darkens, becomes vulnerable to mold fungi, and therefore requires additional treatment with antiseptic materials.
However, the advantages of artificial stone outweigh its shortcomings, in addition, with the production of modern tile technology every year more and more improved, so the ceramic tile for the bathroom was and remains the most popular material.
Shapes and design tiles
Gone are the days when all the tiles sold in the store had the same size and differed only in shades. Now, along with square options, you can meet others.
The classic version of ceramic tiles of different sizes - it is placed both horizontally and vertically. The second option allows you to visually increase the height of the room. The horizontal layout can change not only the length of the walls, but also the shape of the bathroom. To do this, you need to lay out tiles not all walls, but only those whose length is desirable to increase.
Fashion trend - hex. On the wall and on the floor, this tile looks unusual. In large premises with the help of such tiles, you can create expressive combinations.
Hexagon tile shape can be:
In a modern bathroom, glossy tiles are used more often (in a room where there is not enough light, gloss looks more effective). If the room has a large area, you can use large tiles - even glossy, even matte.
Unusual shape - an unusual design. Various types of curly tiles will change the traditional attitude to the bathroom. In the modern bathroom, you can create an unusual design using elements with smooth, rounded bends.
It looks spectacular, the inconvenience of using it is that laying styled elements will require not only accuracy, but also additional costs - it is quite difficult to pick up pieces for cutting each other, therefore a large amount of waste is likely.
Reminiscent in shape and design of bricks, clinker tiles are more often used for other premises than for a bathroom. It's all about her little water absorption. However, in the “dry” zones of large area bathrooms, this modern material will allow you to get an original stylish design.
Clinker tiles are the perfect solution for a loft style. In the bathroom she can lay out not the whole wall, but part of it, creating an imitation of brick that is partially exposed from plaster. It looks spectacular, to repeat such a design one-on-one is impossible, due to the fact that each tile has its own pattern.
Reliefs and "pixels"
Pixel mosaic - a favorite of recent years. Small squares, made in the same color scheme of different shades, look fun and enliven any room. Pixel may not be a mosaic tile, it is often found in shops of Italian ceramics and fits perfectly into the Scandinavian style or art deco. Black and white geometry on the floor of the modern bathroom is in harmony with the gray-white walls.
Stoneware in modern bathroom
For a bathroom, the choice of porcelain is justified, because it has many qualities necessary for finishing materials that are used in high humidity conditions.
Positive qualities of porcelain tile
The main properties possessed by artificial stone:
- It has high wear resistance;
- It has increased resistance to mechanical stress - a heavy object dropped on the floor will not damage the surface;
- Resistant to temperature changes, the formation of steam, high humidity.
The matte, rough surface of the porcelain stoneware prevents slipping, so you are not in danger of falling when exiting the shower or bath. Due to these qualities, it is often laid on the floor, however, on the walls, porcelain stoneware possesses high aesthetic qualities.
Types of porcelain tiles
For the decoration of the modern bathroom is used unglazed and glazed stoneware. The first has:
- A granular structure resembling a natural stone;
- Greater density and uniformity compared to natural stone;
- It is steady against temperature differences, than too surpasses natural samples.
Glazed porcelain, in addition to high stability, strength, has a variety of colors, the ability to put a print. Due to this, it is in great demand because it allows you to create a variety of designs of modern bathroom.
Important! Fashionable is the use of porcelain tiles with a pattern of "under the laminate" - large tiles that imitate different types of wood.
This option of finishing the bathroom deserves the highest praise. In addition to all the positive qualities that are inherent in a tile - moisture and wear resistance, ease of maintenance - mosaic is the only way (except for painting) to aesthetically decorate corners and uneven surfaces. Due to its small size, it can be revetted sink, bath or countertop, edging a mirror.
On sale you can find different types of mosaic:
- Ceramic - the same tile, only smaller;
All of them look aesthetically pleasing, but can vary in areas of application.
Tiled mosaic can be used for both “wet” and “dry” zones - due to its high ability to resist water and steam. “Pixel” mosaic looks very impressive. For the bathroom often choose white or blue samples. They create the most favorable environment, associating with the water flow, sea space.
Mosaic of glass pieces
Glass mosaic is also able to resist water and steam, it is often used to finish the shower area. The choice of this type of finish is dictated by the desire to create a bright interior, and the tile helps to visually enlarge the space. However, it adds coolness to the interior, so you should not lay out most of the bathroom surfaces with it.
Metal in the bathroom
It is advisable to use a metal mosaic for zones of water procedures carefully, it is better to decorate the walls where there is water rarely. It is decorative in itself, so there is no need to supplement it with other decorative objects - even plumbing, a mirror is better to choose simple forms, without excessive decoration, and lay out a border with metal tiles, frame a mirror or create an abstract design wall panel.
A natural stone
It will be about the use of natural stone in the interior of a modern bathroom. Whatever technologies are used for the production of finishing materials, better and more environmentally friendly than natural ones - no. Cold marble fits perfectly into the classic interior and other historical, characterized by luxury and pomp, baroque, empire, rococo - they all love stone, and for good reason.
In addition to marble, granite, basalt plates and a serpentine are used to finish the bathroom. You shouldn’t talk about the high cost of such an interior - it goes without saying, but if you have the budget that allows you to use natural materials to decorate the walls in the bathroom, you can create a unique interior.
Marble tiles trim spacious rooms - in a small bathroom a cold stone will “crush”, reducing the already limited area. For large hygienic premises, large tiles are often chosen.
Important! Designs in natural, natural colors are considered especially fashionable today. The use of natural stone for finishing the bathroom will create a trendy and stylish interior.
How to choose bathroom tile size
Choosing the type of tile, you need to decide on the size. The rules for creating a harmonious interior are simple:
- For a spacious room, you can choose the dies of large size;
- In a small bathroom it is better to use small tiles.
I would like to refute the well-established opinion: today it is fashionable to trim small bathrooms with large-sized tiles, and small mosaic fits perfectly into the design of a spacious room.
In addition, various options for laying tiles can change, even if only visually, the size of the room:
- Square tiles are often laid diagonally, and the wall seems longer;
- Long narrow dies can be laid out "Christmas tree";
- It looks interesting tile, laid "brick" masonry.
Often, various options, including in shape or size, are combined, matched in size and the need to achieve an aesthetic effect. So, the mosaic is perfectly combined with the tile of any size and any shape.
A variety of panels, decors, borders are present in almost every collection of the manufacturer of finishing ceramics. They are perfectly combined with any sample from one series, so it is possible to select, combine dies in color, size and shape.
Color Tips for Designers
Naturalness and closeness to nature - these are the main directions in interior design, therefore “natural” color shades are recommended - beige, brown, gray.
- Imitations of wood, stone, clay, and matt surfaces are characteristic of this year's fashionable designs. Therefore, interior stylists are advised to use stone - natural, if funds permit, or artificial - which is cheaper at times, but in no way inferior in strength, environmental friendliness, because it is based on the same natural components.
- The monochrome design is popular - it can be “diluted” with several (no more than three!) Shades of the same color. The rule of combination of colors dictates the need to choose one color as the background, the other - additional. The third will place accents. For a small bathroom, it is better to choose a light, pastel tone for the background, complementing it with a brighter one. And accessories can be contrasted.
- Always stylish looks white bathroom. Often, it is abandoned due to the fear that any contamination will be visible on the glossy white surface. On the contrary, any stains and drips of water become much more noticeable on dark walls.
- Creating a harmonious interior involves the choice of ceramic tiles, duplicating the texture of furniture. If the bathroom furniture is selected from solid wood, the texture of the tile should be the same. The glossy fronts of the cabinets require glossy wall surfaces.
A huge range of tiles for a modern bathroom provides many opportunities to create your own, unique and unique interior, conducive to relaxation and rest. The correct choice of it - a pledge of harmonious and stylish design.