Ceramic tile - the most popular material used for finishing the bathroom. It attracts a wide range of prices, a large selection of colors, moisture resistance, durability and environmental friendliness. The tile can be laid with your own hands without the involvement of professionals. For this, it is necessary not only to choose a high-quality finish, but also to determine its exact amount. Many people do not know how to calculate the tile in the bathroom. Advice of experts will help in this matter.
Ceramic tile is still the most popular and convenient material for finishing rooms with high humidity.
What to consider when calculating
When calculating the tile should be considered:
- The size of the bathroom;
- Way of laying;
- Tile dimensions;
- Color range.
Horizontal laying of rectangular tiles helps visually expand the space of the room
Ways of laying tile
There are several ways to tile:
- Straight. This is the easiest way, suitable for beginners.
- Diagonal. Allows you to visually expand the space and hide the curvature of the floors. This method takes more time than direct. With diagonal laying a lot of material is consumed, so the stock of tiles should be 15-20% more than the required amount.
- Chess. It is used when finishing tiles of different colors, for example: black and white, dairy and brown, white and green, yellow and blue.
- With offset. Each subsequent row of tiles is shifted by the same distance. This style looks interesting, elegant, unusual. You can experiment and add a variety of inserts.
The method of laying tiles in the dressing resembles brickwork and is suitable for rectangular tiles
Pluses monochrome finish
Laying monochrome tiles is much easier than tile with a pattern or pattern. The advantages of installing a simple monochromatic tile include:
- The ability to start laying from any corner of the bathroom. Such material does not need to be customized according to the pattern or arranged so that a symmetrical pattern is obtained.
- Trim from any side. If there is a pattern on the tile, trimming it in the wrong place can spoil the whole picture. With a single-color coating there are no such problems.
- Using the remaining pieces of material for cladding corners or niches without fitting the pattern.
Monochrome tiles in the bathroom in the style of Key Loft looks very stylish
The choice of finishing with a pattern and pattern will highlight the interior of the bathroom, add a highlight to it. The monochromatic surface looks simpler, but it allows you to save energy, time and money spent on repairs. An alternative to drawing on the whole wall can be decorative inserts - separate patterned tiles that can be organically placed between plain elements.
Attention! If the owners plan to decorate the interior with decorative inserts, then their number should be subtracted from the number of the main tile.
When calculating, one should separately consider the area of borders and decorative elements.
Consequences of wrong tile calculation
Incorrect calculation of bathroom tiles can lead to it:
- Excess. Excess tile nowhere can not be applied, it can not be returned back. This option will lead to unnecessary spending.
- Deficiency. This is often the case with people who want to save money. As a result, the tiles are not enough, you have to go to the hardware store, where all the material can be already sold out. In such a situation, you will have to either completely redo the walls or the floor with the help of a new tile, or finish the lining with a material of similar color. The last design option can spoil the whole design.
Especially carefully it is necessary to count a tile with a pattern.
Attention! To date, the Internet can find a lot of online calculators to help calculate the number of tiles for finishing. They all have a significant drawback: they work without taking into account ledges, niches, doors and windows.
Tile calculation rules for all surfaces
How to calculate bathroom tile? You just need to follow the recommendations of experts:
- The basis of the correct calculation - the right measurements. If the bathroom has a square shape, it is enough to measure only one wall with a tape measure. If the bathroom is rectangular, then one short and one long wall is measured. In a situation if the bathroom has a complex shape, it is necessary to measure each surface, incl. niches and ledges.
- In some formulas for calculating the tile you need to know the area of the room. This value should be calculated in advance. How to calculate how many square meters in the bathroom? To do this, you need to multiply the length of the room by the height of the ceilings.
- If you plan a complex installation of material, it is recommended to first draw a sketch on paper. So you can clearly see the future result of the repair, calculate the exact number of tiles and mark the location of the furniture.
- Do not try to calculate everything up to a millimeter. Repair is an unpredictable process. It is better to purchase materials with a small margin so that in case of unsuccessful trimming or accidental breakage you do not have to go to the store.
To the calculation of the tiles should be treated with full responsibility
How to calculate how much you need tiles in the bathroom? There is nothing complicated in the calculations. For clarity, it is worth considering the whole process with a specific example.
Calculation of ceramic floor tiles
Let's take the following data as a basis:
- Floor length - 220 cm;
- Floor width - 180 cm;
- The size of one tile is 30x30 cm.
Square tiles can be laid on the floor diagonally.
These data are calculated:
- The number of tiles across the floor. To do this, the width of the floor (180 cm) should be divided by the length of one of the sides of the tile (30 cm). It turns out 6 pieces.
- The number of tiles along the length of the bathroom. For this, the length of the bathroom is divided by the length of one of the tile sides: 220/30 = 7.3. The resulting number is rounded to 8.
- The total number of tiles. To do this, the number of tiles required for finishing the length of the floor is multiplied by the number that accommodates the width of the bathroom: 8x6 = 48 pieces. To the resulting number is to add a few tiles in reserve. The result will be 51 pieces.
Carefully consider the miscalculation of tiles of different colors, constituting one ensemble
If we assume the required amount of material is not by the piece, but by the floor area, we can make a serious mistake. How to calculate the area of the bathroom under the tile? This indicator is calculated by multiplying the length of the floor by its width: 2.20 mx 1.80 m = 3.96 sq.m. Then calculate the area of one product: 0.30 mx 0.30 m = 0.09 sq. M. After that, the floor area is divided into tile area: 3.96 square meters. m / 0.09 sq. m. m = 44. According to the total after laying the floor would not be enough 4 tiles, excluding accidentally damaged products.
All miscalculations should be made in view of the future drawing.
Calculation of material for the walls
How to calculate the number of tiles for bathroom walls? Calculation of products will have to produce for each vertical surface separately. As an example, you can take the following data:
- Ceiling height - 250 cm;
- The length of the wall is 180 cm;
- Product dimensions: length - 25 cm, height - 33 cm.
All calculations can be done both manually and in special computer programs.
The calculation takes place according to the following scheme:
- Determined by the number of tiles in the same row on the height of the walls. For this, the height of the wall is divided by the height of the tile: 250/33 = 7.57. Round the number and get 8 tiles.
- Calculates the number of products that fit along the length of the wall. For this, the length of the wall is divided by the length of the tile: 180/25 = 7.2. Round and get 8 tiles.
- Determination of the total number of tiles for finishing one wall. For this, the first two parameters are multiplied: 8x8 = 64 units.
When making miscalculations do not forget about the curbs and other decorative inserts
Similarly, the facing material is calculated for a longer wall (220 cm):
- The number of tiles that fit in height is the same as on the short wall - 8 units.
- Calculates the number of tiles that fit along the length of the wall. For this, the length of the wall is divided by the length of the tile: 220/25 = 8.8. Round, and it turns out 9 pieces.
- The total number of products needed: 8x9 = 72 pieces.
A computer program for calculating tiles is very simple and convenient to use.
If the owners plan laying ceramic tiles of two different colors in equal doses, then the resulting amount of material is simply divided into two.
Tip! If for finishing the vertical surface in the bathroom two-color tiles will be used, then the material of dark color is recommended to be mounted in the lower part of the wall, and light in the upper part.
The drawing of dark tile in the lower part of the wall and from light in the upper
Accounting for bathroom and openings
How to calculate the number of tiles in the bathroom, taking into account the doorway? To do this:
- Calculate the number of products that would fit in the place of the door. To begin with, the height of the doorway (for example, 210 cm) should be divided by the height of the tile: 210/33 = 6.36. The result is rounded down to 6 units. Then the width of the door (suppose, 80 cm) is divided by the length of the tile: 80/25 = 3.2, rounded and we get 3 units. To obtain the total quantity, multiply the two obtained indices: 3x6 = 18 pieces.
- Subtract the resulting number from the number of tiles, calculated for the blank wall located opposite. If the opposite is a short wall, the calculations will look like this: 64-18 = 46 pieces. That is the amount of tile needed for a vertical surface with a doorway.
To miscalculate the tiles on the wall with a door, you should take away the area of the doorway
Similarly, the calculated savings on the material when finishing the wall with a window opening or a bathroom. If the owners are planning to install the tile behind the bathroom, then additional calculations are not needed.
It is recommended to lay tile over the entire floor area.
On the box with tile adhesive manufacturers indicate information on the consumption per square meter of finishing material. These recommendations are relevant only if the tile is mounted on a perfectly flat surface, and the glue is applied with a notched trowel.
For laying tiles used special comb with teeth
If the surface on which the tile will be mounted is not perfectly flat, the removal of irregularities may take a long time. Experts often deal with height differences with glue. It is applied with an even trowel around the edges and center of the tile. To level irregularities, the layer of adhesive often reaches a centimeter. In such a situation increases the consumption of the substance. Thus, if the surface under the tile is not smooth and the owners plan to level them with glue, then it is necessary to purchase adhesive substances about 20% more than the manufacturer indicates.
Kinds of quick-drying glue for laying tiles in the bathroom
Many owners are afraid to independently acquire materials for decoration, because they do not know how to calculate how much tiles are needed in the bathroom. Online calculators may give you the wrong number. Solve this problem will help piece counting tiles with a few simple formulas. The correct calculation of the tile will allow you to make a quality repair of the bathroom in the shortest possible time and with minimal cost.