Divertor for the mixer: what is it and why is it needed?
- Types and purpose
- Manufacturers Overview
- How to choose?
- Instructions for use
At the end of the working day, many people like to take a bath at home, but a pleasant procedure can be interrupted by the extraneous sound coming from the shower. Most likely, it is dripping water, which acts on the nerves. The answer is simple - this failed the diverter, which is located in the mixer. It is worth more to understand what it is.
A divertor is a device that deals with the correct distribution of the movement of water in taps. One of the features of such a device is a well-designed design, which contributes to the good operation of the bypass system. The main body of the divertor is connected to the cover of the unit.
In fact, behind such an unusual term lies a rather simple and easy-to-use mechanism, which will be discussed further.
Types and purpose
There are the following types of devices:
- The first view of such a divertor is in the mixer of each shower, it switches water to the shower head or tap;
- the next is right in the kitchen, because most of the washing machine is there or there is a dishwasher; thanks to the diverter, water is blocked to the device when it is turned off;
- the diverter is used when there is a filter; thanks to this device, it is possible to obtain separately running and filtered water.
However, before choosing a divertor, you should get acquainted with the types of mixer, among which the following should be noted:
- the two-valve mixer is one of the favorites in the modern market; the name comes from the appearance - a tap and knobs in the form of valves that help to regulate the water pressure;
- Crane box is also quite popular and elegant, but if it suddenly breaks, you have to completely change the whole system;
- Single-lever are also popular types of cranes, although the problem is the same as with the previous mixer;
- sensory taps are a boom in the plumbing market, now the stores offer a huge selection of models of this type, and they are quite simple to use - just hold up your hands and the water begins to flow;
- wall mixer is unusual in its method of attachment;
- The thermostatic type of the faucet is perfect for those who occasionally experience temperature failures, since it maintains the temperature that was originally there;
- cascade is the last hit; it can be either valve or single lever, and such a crane is distinguished only by its appearance and modern look at the solution of interior problems.
You should consider the types and purpose of each divertor separately.
- Button type diverter known to many, it is well suited for cranes, where the water pressure is not very large, and will be an excellent solution for the interior. To change the flow of water, simply pull the lever up and release it. In another way, it can be called an exhaust divertor.
- An easy-to-use flag, lever, or differently swivel divertor. It is perfect for the bathroom to switch the water on the shower spout - just need to turn the lever in the right direction.
- One of the so-called old devices is a spool-type device. It is suitable for a two-valve mixer, as it is simple in its structure and is easy to replace it yourself in everyday life.
- The cartridge divertor is also simple in structure. But in the event of a breakdown, it cannot be repaired, replacement is required for the entire device.
- The eccentric or otherwise ball type of the device is quite simple and convenient. As it rotates, the stem opens and closes the necessary plugs. In the event of a breakdown, sometimes it may only be necessary to replace the rubber gaskets, but if this is not the case, then the whole structure will have to be disassembled.
- The cork diverter is somewhat similar to the previous type. Only it does not have a rotating knob, but only a lever on which to push.
- Push-button divertor is divided into two types: automatic and manual. The most unusual is that it is rather difficult to distinguish between these two types of mechanisms, because externally they are like two drops of water, but there are differences in work.
There are a variety of materials from which the divertor is made. Some of them are long-term, others, on the contrary. Depending on this, and varies the price of the device.
It is worth considering such popular materials for their manufacture as:
- Brass is a relatively inexpensive material, but also quite durable; the main role is played by the coating, in this case it is made of chromium and has high hygienic characteristics;
- Nickel was used less frequently, as it causes allergic reactions and special care is required;
- ceramic divertor became popular relatively recently; not such a device is made of such material, but only plates;
- low-melting materials are distinguished by reliability and durability; mechanisms then consist of aluminum with added lead.
Most often, the divertor is a kind of crank that moves a barrel with a valve. And also used and rubber cuffs that overlap the water and let it through the desired tube. The divertor serves as a kind of switch that supplies water to a specific faucet. It is rather difficult to single out one of the species, because any mechanism has advantages and disadvantages.
If the divertor still began to fail, you should pay attention to such caused reasons as:
- wear rubber cuffs;
- low-quality water is capable of forming plaque;
- on the mechanism of corrosion began.
If this situation occurs, do not panic, because the device can always be repaired by yourself.
Before you acquire such a serious mechanism, you need to decide on the manufacturer. Which companies are on the market at the moment and which ones are the most demanded is worth understanding in more detail.
These include the following:
- German company Kaiser provides many options and offers, including high-quality and safe products;
- Jacob Delafon is a French manufacturer; the diverter will serve long and reliably, while it is worth spending a bit;
- Finnish manufacturer Timo has already become famous for many; divertors from such a supplier are durable and rarely in need of repair;
- The Russian manufacturer Iddis is available for most citizens, plus the fact that a diverter of this type is adapted to water that is not of excellent quality is a plus;
- Vidima is a Bulgarian supplier who is very much in demand in the domestic market; Such a diverter will last for a long time, but it is necessary to spend a lot of money on it.
How to choose?
When choosing the optimal device you should consider the following nuances:
- it is better to put a single-lever mixer with a ceramic cartridge in a bath or shower, because such a tap will be easy to open and close even with closed eyes;
- hose option is more suitable for the kitchen, because you can easily get it to get water in the right pot; It is also worth considering a tall faucet that allows you to put dishes of different sizes;
- shower stand will be an excellent solution, as it is not only easy and convenient to use, but also attracts the attention of an excellent design solution.
Instructions for use
It is worth considering a few tips regarding the operation of such a multifunctional device, namely:
- spool diverter attracts with its availability and ease of use, although during operation there may be a problem when axle boxes and crank are loose; permanent replacement of the rubber ring in this case is provided;
- in a button device, a problem may arise not only because of the deterioration of the ring, but also because of the spring breakage;
- If you use a cartridge device, you should be prepared for the fact that it quickly becomes covered with rust and other bad substances.
It is worth understanding in more detail how it is necessary to assemble and disassemble a divertor. Before removing it, be sure to remove plaque and use sealant. It will help to easily disassemble the device, even after several years of use. It is better to use silicone pads because they are less worn and much stronger.
A divertor is a detail that cannot boast of durability and performance. His work is associated with water, so the device quickly wears out and requires surgical intervention, which not everyone can afford.
If you want to remove or change the divertor yourself, then it is recommended to follow the following scheme:
- before you do anything, you need to turn off the water;
- after that you need to unscrew the hose from the shower;
- it is necessary to dismantle the gander, after which you can safely remove the divertor;
- To set the diverter back, it is worth doing the procedure in the reverse order.
As practice shows, working with this kind of device is quite simple, you only need to follow a thorough cleaning and regular maintenance.
In the next video you will find a simple repair of the diverter in the bath mixer.