It is known that the floor in the bathroom is constantly exposed to moisture.
Therefore, to finish using moisture-proof materials.
Until recently, nothing else but ceramic or tile did not know.
Today, the technology of the so-called self-leveling floors.
It turns out not only a practical floor, absolutely not afraid of water falling on it, but also stylish, unusual, completely exclusive.
Pros and cons of self-leveling floors
The technology of the self-leveling floor in the bathroom has several advantages.
But she also has flaws. Now more about the pros and cons.
- The lack of seams gives the floor such a property as absolute waterproofness, the neighbors from the bottom can be calm, they are not threatened with flooding. Seamlessness also minimizes the risk of accumulation of dirt and the spread of bacteria and germs;
- Since the material is not afraid of temperature changes, it can be used in any room and even on the street. The colors remain almost unchanged forever: do not fade, do not wear out;
- The smooth surface prevents penetration and reproduction of pathogenic bacteria, dust, dirt;
- The material is environmentally safe;
- Hardening of floors in the shortest possible time, no more than 2 days;
- Long service life, up to 20 years;
- There are no restrictions in the choice of images, the design of the self-leveling floor in the bathroom can be unique;
- Combination with more traditional materials, such as tile.
- Removing the coating is a very laborious task;
- With time, the clear coat turns yellow;
- Requires careful preparation of the base surface, in particular the perfect alignment;
- At the stage of freezing the coating is toxic;
As you can see, there are fewer disadvantages than advantages, and they can be tolerated if there is a desire to get a beautiful self-leveling floor in the bathroom. Read here! Fixtures for the bathroom - we select a stylish format and the level of brightness of the lighting (62 photos + video)
Types of self-leveling floors
There are 4 types of self-leveling floors: acrylic-cement, polyurethane, epoxy, methyl methacrylate.
Before buying any type of coverage, you should consult with a consultant, telling him the following parameters:
- the size of the bathroom;
- planned floor load;
- state of the plates.
You also need to firmly determine the preferences when choosing colors and patterns so that he does not get bored after 3-4 years.
After all, the dismantling of the self-leveling floor is much more difficult than its filling.
Now more about how to make a self-leveling floor in the bathroom with a coating.
- Luxury bathrooms - we decorate stylishly and wisely (90 photo variants)
- Purple bathroom - make out a stylish design for the mind! 69 photos of bright ideas.
- Bathroom from IKEA - a review of the best new furniture (90 photos)
Acrylic-cement - it consists of fine sand, cement, crushed aggregate. Acrylic is added to the mixture to accelerate curing.
She line the base under the decorative layer. The disadvantage of such a floor is that it does not withstand point loads and may burst.
Polyurethane - for the bathroom fits more than all other options.
It withstands loads well, is not afraid of shocks, does not push, it is not afraid of temperature drops and ingress of household chemicals.
The only minus is the complexity of creating a picture. Such a floor is mostly made monotonous. Epoxy.
- Painted bathroom - an overview of how to paint a bathroom (77 photos)
- Bathroom hood - which one to choose? Review of popular models +80 photos
- Orange bathroom - 75 best photo ideas of bright color combination
This polymer also has excellent performance properties. Unlike polyurethane, epoxy floor can be made in the form of any image.
Bulk epoxy floor has increased fragility, and this is its significant drawback. Read here! Classic-style bathroom: design and design features (67 photos + video)
However, it is easy to paint over cracks with a fresh mixture using an ordinary brush.
How to choose the color of self-leveling floors
Colors and patterns can be completely different, from trendy to classic. This is evidenced by numerous photos of self-leveling floor for the bathroom.
However, when choosing, it is necessary to take into account that the coating will be mounted not for a couple of years, but for a good ten, or even more. And today's fashion colors tomorrow will lose their relevance.
- Beige bathroom: calm and stylish colors in the design + 76 photo design ideas
- Bathroom decor - 82 photos of original decorating ideas and stylish design
- Lilac bathroom: design features, color combinations and styles + 50 photos
Therefore it makes sense to give preference to the classics. It should also be borne in mind that the ceiling and walls over the decade may change, and the floor will have to be suitable for new materials.
As for the choice of colors and patterns, it all depends on the preferences of the owners. To be faithful, you can use the services of a professional designer.
This technology allows you to create a very realistic three-dimensional drawing under your feet.
Sometimes it is even scary to step foot on the floor, as the precipice opened before you, or a dolphin swims towards.
The image itself is printed on paper or polymer material and spreads out on a flat surface. Directly on it is poured a transparent mixture.
Instead of photos, materials such as coins, stones, wood cuts and other materials can be used.
How to create a self-leveling floor
It is possible to perform self-leveling floor in the bathroom with their own hands, if you follow all the recommendations.
Before pouring the coating, it is necessary to make sure that the humidity of the base surface does not exceed 20%. Therefore, after leveling, if it is needed, it should dry thoroughly.
Be sure to be carried out waterproofing of the floor, eliminated all the cracks. On the surface should not be stains of dirt and grease, dust and debris.
For a better setting with the composition of the base primer and varnish in 2 layers.
Finally, the fill is made. It is produced in stages, first one strip along the wall opposite to the exit, then the other. And so on to the very end.
A studded rubber roller is used to distribute the mixture and eliminate air bubbles. The finished floor is left to dry for at least 36 hours.
Maybe. It will seem to someone that it is troublesome to create a self-leveling floor. But the result is worth it.
Photos of self-leveling floor in the bathroom