Coloring can be called one of the most popular ways of finishing any premises, including bathrooms. There is a huge assortment of dye mixtures on the building materials market, which differ in properties and appearance, so that it can be difficult for a layman to make his choice. Paint for the bathroom must meet certain requirements. Before the final choice is to get acquainted with the advantages and disadvantages of each type of coloring composition.
Painted light walls in the bathroom - a fashion trend of recent years
Features of the use of paint in the bathroom
Usually paint is preferred, among other types of finish, when planning a quick repair with minimal costs. In fact, staining can be a longer and more expensive process than some people assume. The coloring composition should be applied only on the leveled surface.
If the walls in the bathroom are covered with cracks, hollows and protuberances, before painting they must be leveled with a putty. Sometimes only professionals can cope with the alignment of the walls, so that the owners will have to hire a builder, which will adversely affect the budget. So the savings on the repair of the bathroom with the use of paint is justified only when the walls in the room are perfectly smooth.
Painted walls look very good with wall panels.
The use of paint in the bathroom has many advantages:
- Moisture resistance;
- Compliance with sanitary and hygienic standards;
- Profitability, the majority of types of the painting structures cost much less than other finishing materials;
- Ease of use: for applying the coloring mixture does not need to have special construction skills;
- Compatibility with other facing materials: the area around the bath can be trimmed with ceramic tiles or plastic panels, and the rest of the walls can be painted;
- Large selection of shades and textures;
- No special care requirements.
Paint of turquoise color gives fresh notes to the bathroom interior.
Types of paints
What choose paint for the bathroom? When choosing a finishing material in the bathroom, the most important thing is to take into account not the color or texture, but the properties. If the paint is chosen incorrectly, then it will not be able to keep an attractive appearance for a long time: it will begin to peel off, crack, rub off, become covered with fungus. When choosing a finish, it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the bathroom microclimate: the presence of constant humidity, and possibly the absence of adequate ventilation.
High-quality paint looks very impressive on the walls of the bathroom
The whole paint can be divided into three types:
- Emulsion. This type includes odorless quick-drying paints suitable for bathrooms.
Aqueous emulsion paint is ideal for rooms with high humidity.
Emulsion and alkyd materials are actively used for finishing bathrooms. Silicate dyes are not recommended for use in bathrooms. They are loose, blocking access to air and are afraid of moisture.
Emulsion type paints are diluted with water before use. They are easily applied to almost any surface, after drying they form a moisture-resistant coating. Before the paint dries, it is easily washed off with water. So after using the emulsion material, the master can easily wash his hands and tools.
Emulsion paint easy to use and continue to use.
Benefits of using emulsions
The positive aspects of using emulsion paint include:
- Drying speed. The drying process can take as little as a couple of hours.
- Safety for the environment and the human body.
- The absence of a strong odor.
- Ease of application.
- Alkali resistance.
With the help of emulsion paint, you can create real masterpieces on the walls.
Attention! Emulsion paint can not be applied to the floor or walls that were previously coated with varnish, glossy or adhesive paint.
In the future, the surface, painted with emulsion, can be coated with any other paints.
Types of emulsion paints
Coloring compositions in the form of emulsions are divided into several types. To find out which bathroom paint is better, you should consider each:
- Water emulsion. Its advantages: does not exfoliate, passes air, does not fade under the influence of ultraviolet, has a large assortment of colors. Hosts can get any color. To do this, a colorless tone is acquired, to which the necessary pigment is added. The main disadvantage of water emulsion is the lack of frost resistance, which does not affect the quality of its use in the bathroom. In addition, with frequent cleaning mat water-based wall paint in the bathroom is quickly erased.
- Water dispersion. By its properties similar to water-based. The main difference is increased resistance to abrasion. The painted surface can be washed repeatedly. Aqueous emulsion ink formulations are usually not distinguished by a variety of colors.
- Acrylic. It is durable, elastic, frost-resistant, resistant to sunlight. With it, you can block small cracks. The main component of this finishing material is acrylic resin. It makes the paint resistant to mechanical damage and washing with water. According to the manufacturer, this composition can withstand up to 5,000 wash cycles. It fits well on a wooden, glass, concrete and plastered surface, the main thing is to pre-coat it with a primer. The main disadvantage of acrylic paint for the bathroom is the high price.
- Latex. This is the most expensive material among the emulsion. Included in the base latex provides a high level of moisture resistance, allowing you to wash the painted surface without any restrictions. Latex paint for the bathroom can tighten cracks up to 1 mm. It dries quickly (within an hour) and can be used on various surfaces: plaster, concrete, masonry, drywall. In addition to the price, a minus of latex material can be called poor light resistance, inferior emulsion based on acrylic.
- Polyvinyl acetate (PVA). Cheap, eco-friendly, resistant to light, fats and oils. The main drawback - is erased by repeated washing. In the bathroom, this paint can only be used to finish the ceiling.
- Silicone. Not afraid of moisture, dirt, harmful bacteria and frequent washing, repels water, lets air through, prevents the formation of fungus. The high elasticity of this material allows overlapping depressions 2 mm wide. It can be applied to any surface, including the old silicate paint. The life of the material can be up to 20 years. Usually silicone bathroom paint is used for decoration, since painting it on the whole wall or the entire floor will cost a lot of money.
- Mineral Eco-friendly, but not practical. It contains cement and hydrated lime, suitable for almost all surfaces, but it has a short service life.
Alkyd mixtures are based on alkyd resin. This material has a high level of resistance to light and moisture. Painted surfaces can be kept perfectly clean by regularly washing them out with water and cleaning agents. What kind of alkyd paint is better to use for the bathroom? There are only two types:
- Oily. They are not recommended for use in the bathroom, as well as for finishing any other living room. It is based on linseed oil diluted with gasoline or turpentine. This material forms an airtight film, and in addition, it dries for a long time, has a persistent unpleasant odor and emits harmful substances into the air during the drying process.
- Enamel. They are based on varnish, so the painted surface looks glossy. Enamel mixtures are resistant to corrosion, moisture and ultraviolet radiation. They dry quickly, are used to paint surfaces of wood and metal, well applied over plaster and putty.
Relatively recently, such an innovation as rubber paint has appeared on the domestic market of building materials. It is a durable, elastic, moisture-proof and vapor-permeable material that does not peel off, does not crack and serves for many years. Rubber paint is suitable for the bathroom. It keeps the painted surface intact, even if the walls below it begin to deform.
Waterproof rubber paint for a bathroom is applied on various surfaces: wood, concrete, steel, brick and others. It fits perfectly over the existing paint, regardless of its type. The rubber ink mixture is made from polyacrylic resins that are safe for human health.
To see all the benefits of rubber paint, you should carefully follow the application technology, which includes cleaning the surface and painting it with several thin layers. If you smear the walls with a thick layer of ink mixture, you will not be able to create a durable coating, as a result of which it will peel off. In the process of coloring the mixture should be periodically stirred. After painting the walls can be washed only after 8 days.
Tip! Before purchasing a finishing material, you should check the certificate of quality and its shelf life.
Gloss or matte finish
Many owners do not know which waterproof paint for the bathroom will be better: matte, glossy or structural. Basically, homeowners need to focus on their own taste. In addition, you should familiarize yourself with the features of each material:
- Glossy surface looks beautiful, pleases the eye with glitter. It is only suitable for smooth, even walls. Any lack of gloss only emphasizes.
- Matte paint can be called universal. It harmoniously looks in any interior and at the same time hides small flaws on the walls. Matt water-repellent bathroom paint is less resistant to various kinds of damage than gloss.
- Relief paint. Hides small bumps on the walls, allows you to create a unique design. The problem may arise in the process of cleaning the walls or the floor. Dirt falls into the relief part, from where it is difficult to wash
DIY bathroom painting
It is possible to paint a bathroom without involvement of experts, by own strength. If you think over everything in detail, prepare the surface and tools in advance, then the whole process will not take much time.
Preparation for painting
Before you apply paint on the walls of the bathroom, it is necessary to carry out the preparatory work:
- Clean the surface to be painted from the old finish. To do this, use a spatula or scraper.
- Remove dirt and dust. To do this, the floor, walls or ceiling should be wiped with a cloth moistened with warm water.
- Putty cracks, if any.
- Sand the surface with sandpaper.
- If there is a fungus, treat with a special anti-fungal agent, for example, bleach.
- Coat the surface with a primer. The tool is applied in several layers. Each subsequent layer is applied after the final drying of the previous one.
Selection of tools
First you need to choose the main staining tool:
- Roller. Allows you to economically use the coloring mixture, as it causes a thin layer. The use of a roller may be inconvenient when painting the corners or areas under the pipes.
- Brush. Convenient for painting hard-to-reach places, it covers the surface with a thick layer of paint, increasing its consumption.
- Spray bottle. Allows you to evenly apply the dye. The device requires special care: mandatory cleaning after each use.
Professionals recommend using brushes with a roller in the staining process.
In addition to the main tool, the painter will need:
- Masking tape. Designed to protect the individual elements of the interior, not intended for painting.
- Tray with compartments. It removes excess paint from the brush (roller) in order to avoid the appearance of smudges on the walls.
The process of painting a room is recommended to be divided into several stages:
- Preparation of the material. If the paint is not sold in finished form, then it must be diluted with water. The emulsion paint is applied in several layers. The mixture for the first layer is 15% should be diluted with water.
- Drawing the first layer. It is recommended to carry out with a brush. A thick layer of paint will help to hide minor flaws. First, paint hard-to-reach areas of the wall or floor, and then - the main part. After all the walls have been completely painted, it is necessary to wait until they are completely dry.
- Drawing the second layer. Carried out using a roller.
- Dressing Drawings or patterns will decorate the walls of the bathroom, add an individuality to the interior. You can draw them yourself, limiting the contours of the picture with the help of edging of adhesive tape, or apply using ready-made stencils.
Thus, in the process of choosing paint for the bathroom, you should consider the waterproof properties of the material, as well as ease of cleaning and durability. Otherwise, it all depends on the tastes of the owners of the home and financial opportunities. In addition to practical aspects, paint has other advantages. With its help, you can create an original interior design, experimenting with shades and patterns. If you show imagination and creativity, through ordinary paint you can get an impressive result.